iPad best music apps thread!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
filter_7

iPad best music apps thread!

Post by filter_7 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:44 am

Hey I'm diggin deeper into iPad apps with many GAS, because I found a cool workflow as creative as Ableton Live in some of them.

Share what's the best for you, giving 2-3 names for each one, in these categories :
Best creative app (to create music in a new kind of way)
Best synth
Most used app
Best fx
Best DAW

Here are mine:

Best creative app:
-Samplr
-Beatwave

Best Synth:
-Thor
-Animoog

Most used app:
-Samplr
-Audioshare
-Audiobus

Best fx:
- (none by now)

Best DAW:
- (none by now)

PHY6

Re: iPad best music apps thread!

Post by PHY6 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:51 am

Best daw for me is Korg Gadget

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:48 pm

I don't have favorites yet but I use different categories and folder my stuff up based on those.

Category -example
Synth -DXi
Keys -pianos
Beats -Maschine/electribe
Performance -samplr/Soundprism
Dj -traktor
Jam -triqtraq/wejaam/rebirth
Daw -flstudio/beatmaker
Midi -genome/Arpist/touch osc
Fx/spectral -analyzer/amps
Generative -xynthesizer

I swear I'm missing some :P

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:45 am

Another category to add is performance apps: the instruments to play that sends midi too. At the moment I tried Gestrument that is too 'sequenced' for my taste.

Would like to find a new type of keyboard with custom scales and a creative approach like Push.

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:10 pm

no one else use ipad's apps?

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:20 pm

Have been playing around with Samplr for a while now. Very sweet. At the moment functioning mainly of a way of entertaining myself when I am not able to get to Live, but it has potential.

There seems to be an issue with Audiobus and IOS8 though :(

ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends

Post by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:41 pm

Last edited by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends on Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zenovdb

Post by Zenovdb » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:45 pm

*Lemur
*iMS20

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:00 pm

re:dream wrote:Have been playing around with Samplr for a while now. Very sweet. At the moment functioning mainly of a way of entertaining myself when I am not able to get to Live, but it has potential.

There seems to be an issue with Audiobus and IOS8 though :(
Audiobus should return soon (we hope...) as you can read on official twitter.

My workflow is to resample in Samplr, then export tracks to Live. Without Audiobus we can do exporting with iTunes.

Some musicians use Samplr as an instrument, so resampling the performance with an audio card should be very powerful too.

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:44 pm

Lemur app + PULL (http://www.xmonsta.com/product/pull-ipa ... ce-editor/) is doing it for me lately. Makes the most sense to me to use an ipad this way for interacting with Live

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:58 pm

Having fun with Auxy. It should be called 'Simpleton Live' haha

Right now my biggest focus is trying to choose the best option for what Auxy mostly addresses. And that is pattern creation on a grid. But not by turning little boxes off and on, or step sequencing individual elements.

I'm looking at Genome, or maybe Thesys. I think Genome is what I need. I am just hesitant right now. It is so easy to spent 10, 15, 20 dollars at a time haha. I'm a huge fan of SunrizerXS, and I keep procrastinating on getting the iPad version (for now the blown-up iphone one is okay)

Finally, Touchable is really nice and almost like Auxy on steroids. If only diving in and out of clip view and managing all that was just a teensy bit quicker/easier. I love that it lets you fold based on scales, supports velocity and all the other features. I feel like it hides my session view. Not that I sjoild complain with my hardware options.

I like eating a sandwich in the kitchen and loading Operator and a drum kit :D

I wonder if there is a market for a more sleek, direct, variation of Touchable? I have a few ideas. Some of the problem is that it is too full of flexibility. (Like the top/bottom/full screen thing might be better suited with toggles to simply show-hide)

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:05 pm

I’ll integrate an iPad into my workflow once MIDI an actually be sent easily and natively (to and from a DAW) using the camera connection kit or, even better, the USB sync cable the iPad ships with.

Does anybody know why this isn’t actually possible? I mean, you can even set up CoreMIDI via WiFi NATIVELY with iOS/OS X. Why no latency- and jitter-free MIDI over a Lightning cable? Why do you have to buy some awkward 100 dollar MIDI interface for something as simple as sending and receiving MIDI data on a device that has "CoreMIDI" as part of its specifications and already has half a dozen ways to communicate and interface with a computer.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:09 pm

With the camera connection Kit you would do it by connecting S&H device with midi I/o (a keyboard or audio interface or a powered usb hub, plus those devices)

For lightning to computer, if you have a cellular data ipad you can turn on sharing/tethering and do midi through the LAN through tethering. It requires that iTunes is installed.

Midi over bluetooth is catching on slowly. I think bluetooth midi will be the new USB midi.

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:35 pm

Bluetooth MIDI sounds nice. Bluetooth seems to be perfect for what MIDI actually needs to work seamlessly. It’s a highly efficient, bidirectional, close-range communication protocol.

Anybody know how Bluetooth would handle jitter? MIDI over WiFI is awful in that regard. Even with an ad-hoc network.