Dropouts with rme fire face and ableton live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jpga

Re: Dropouts with rme fire face and ableton live

Post by jpga » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:32 pm

Motu 828mkll drop out 2.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:42 am

mzky wrote: this is the LOG:
18/04/15 02:16:37,000 kernel[0] IOAudioStream[0xffffff80191e2200]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (24bf,f8)->(24c2,2c8).
18/04/15 02:16:37,000 kernel[0] IOAudioStream[0xffffff80191e2200]::clipIfNecessary() - adjusting clipped position to (24c2,f8)
Apple weighs in:
Aug. 24, 2010
Info Regarding Console Logs: IOAudioStream clipIfNecessary
"Those messages mean is that a client wrote to the driver at a spot that the family wasn't expecting. In this case, the client is wrote a little further in the future than the family expected. Usually, this just means that the client skipped some samples, probably due to an overload or some other thing that caused IO to skip some samples.
--
Jeff Moore
Core Audio
Apple"

"It's basically the internal sync, with audio drivers-interfacing with the software. If it happens really often you should check your drivers/mfr. Also, extra drivers and CPU/disk spikes/overloads can cause this. If it happens as much on a brand new empty session then you can look to the drivers you have installed, otherwise you should first look to your other bottlenecks."

Valiumdupeuple wrote:This is the same log that a lot of (me included) Motu interface users have to deal with; they still haven't fixed it. It appears with mavericks.
While it may be different for MOTU products, I've been getting these IOAudioStream errors with a Fireface UC since 2011, a while before Mavericks.

Always kept the RME drivers & firmware up to date. The good news is that my dropouts have greatly decreased over time. The bad news is that they can still occur. What's worse is that I also get the occasional drop out that leaves no message in Console.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:59 am

yes, it's a very generic error. it's not just a "Mavericks" problem.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:00 am

This is a strange one? I've had a Fireface 800 since 2006 and it's never been the source of dropouts for me.
It's Firewire, so it's possible this is a USB thing?

There's an RME forum and they tend to be very forthright about problems, worth checking there.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:14 am

As a side note, I have no idea why anyone with problems wouldn't runt the latest OS?
Sure if you're system is stable avoid upgrading, but if it's not...

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:08 am

Machinesworking wrote:This is a strange one? I've had a Fireface 800 since 2006 and it's never been the source of dropouts for me.
It's Firewire, so it's possible this is a USB thing?
I think it is.

I switched from an RME Multiface that used PCMCIA then later express card, & never experienced anything like the issues I've had with USB interfaces. I also had the first MOTU 828 firewire interface & did not experience issues like I have with every USB interface on every Mac computer I've had. I've always kept the drivers up to date & never used a USB hub for the interface.

I will probably make the RME UCX my next primary interface just to have an option other than USB if my Fireface UC doesn't play nice with my next computer.

Edmundo Cassis

Post by Edmundo Cassis » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:00 pm

For those having noises betwen RME Fireface UC and Ableton. My system is Windows 7 Pro. Im using two DAWs. Cubase 5 and Ableton 9 Lite. With Cubase my RME Fireface UC works very very well. Only using Ableton i got this kind of problems. Lot of glittches in random way. Ah! I have another audio card, Audiobox. This one works very very well with Cubase AND Ableton. I think the problem is about drivers, from RME FiceFace and Ableton. They don't speaking the same idiom. Ableton and RME needs to talk about. (sorry, i only can speak eingrixch. Best to all)