I predict a major Live+Push update soon

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Buleriachk

Re: I predict a major Live+Push update soon

Post by Buleriachk » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:43 pm

BoddAH wrote: A Tuner would be just be another button or another option to clutter up the clean and minimalistic interface of Live. And Live is all about the quick and easy workflow.

Besides, while Live is perfectly able to integrate guitars and Live instruments into its workflow, it’s primarily and openly a performance-based electronic music DAW. If “whack-a-mole 8x8 grids” aren’t your thing, you may consider using another DAW or if you really want to use Live and need a tuner, you can either get a dedicated Guitar Amp plug-in (which will be infinitely better than Amp and Cabinet).
Obviously not a guitarist. Many of us use Live as backup accompaniment in live (that is, real music - melody, chords, the whole thing) performances..... but if whack-a-mole is your thing, I still don't think Ableton should deprive us of more advanced technology.... :)

tummes

Post by tummes » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:53 pm

Buleriachk wrote:
BoddAH wrote: A Tuner would be just be another button or another option to clutter up the clean and minimalistic interface of Live. And Live is all about the quick and easy workflow.

Besides, while Live is perfectly able to integrate guitars and Live instruments into its workflow, it’s primarily and openly a performance-based electronic music DAW. If “whack-a-mole 8x8 grids” aren’t your thing, you may consider using another DAW or if you really want to use Live and need a tuner, you can either get a dedicated Guitar Amp plug-in (which will be infinitely better than Amp and Cabinet).
Obviously not a guitarist. Many of us use Live as backup accompaniment in live (that is, real music - melody, chords, the whole thing) performances..... but if whack-a-mole is your thing, I still don't think Ableton should deprive us of more advanced technology.... :)
While I disagree with Live being solely for electronic music. I don't get the fuzz about a tuner. Is this a special tuner you want or a regular one that is just able to detect the note from sound for guitar tuning? If the second.. a lot of guitar plugins come with one integrated. Also there are free ones available. You can even use your phone or use a tuning fork..

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:01 pm

It would be just SO easy for Ableton to provide one as an audio effect. The issue is that adding it is so trivial in the grand scheme of things. Leaving it out is just dumb, IMO.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:16 pm

tummes wrote:
Buleriachk wrote:

While I disagree with Live being solely for electronic music. I don't get the fuzz about a tuner. Is this a special tuner you want or a regular one that is just able to detect the note from sound for guitar tuning? If the second.. a lot of guitar plugins come with one integrated. Also there are free ones available. You can even use your phone or use a tuning fork..

ash1

Post by ash1 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:04 pm

the overall picture is that live is the best and no matter how many features it has people will always complain it doesnt have this or that its a none stop moaning fest
just go and make music its all there if you know how to use it lol
enough of the requests now its been going on since the first version of ableton its seems to me some people spend to much time complaining and very little time making music

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:09 pm

Buleriachk wrote:

As a matter of fact I do play guitar. I never felt deprived of anything. A tuner is hardly advanced technology. You can get a hardware tuner for 10 bucks or a free VST on the Internet. Amp and Cabinet are somewhat useful to throw into some Instrument Racks as effects for sound design but they're abysmal as actual guitar amp emulation. Which leaves you with a plethora of very good, comprehensive and flexible VST guitar plug-in suites all of which come with advanced built-in tuners. Most come for free with your guitar interface of choice anyway.

Please don't bloat Live with an additional device that maybe 5% of users would actually use and 0% of people really need.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:16 pm

It's not the point.

The point is that if you play guitar/bass inside the box, it would be nice to have a tuner. Nobody is demanding it, it's TOTALLY relevant to the subject and has gotten to be pissy fight about it.

I honestly CANNOT see any POV for an objection to it.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:31 pm

++1
eyeknow wrote:It's not the point.

The point is that if you play guitar/bass inside the box, it would be nice to have a tuner. Nobody is demanding it, it's TOTALLY relevant to the subject and has gotten to be pissy fight about it.

I honestly CANNOT see any POV for an objection to it.

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:38 pm

The point is that a Tuner device is unnecessary. You say you are a guitarist. If you are, I have a hard time to believe that you would want to use Amp as your main amp simulation let alone the only one. Guitar Rig, POD Farm and many others are MUCH better and include tuners. Same goes if you own a POD or other hardware multi-effect devices which all include tuners.

There's probably also a Max For Live device that somebody made that does just that if you want to have it "natively" in Live for some reason.

Live is the embodiment of Minimalism. Even if it doesn't seem like much. Any additional device in an already long list will result in more clutter and information to process and slow-down the fast workflow people love so much about Live.

The true question is. Do you actually truly believe that Live *needs* a built in tuner? Just because it us possible for Ableton to add one relatively easily doesn't mean they should. It would just feel tacked-on.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:03 am

I'm a Flamenco guitarist, and don't use effects. If I was a cellist or a violinist I would feel the same way. Why defend Minimalism? Is it a religion or artistic choice? I just want an easy way to tune the guitar in the Ableton box.

The argument below is just absurd.
BoddAH wrote:The point is that a Tuner device is unnecessary. You say you are a guitarist. If you are, I have a hard time to believe that you would want to use Amp as your main amp simulation let alone the only one. Guitar Rig, POD Farm and many others are MUCH better and include tuners. Same goes if you own a POD or other hardware multi-effect devices which all include tuners.

There's probably also a Max For Live device that somebody made that does just that if you want to have it "natively" in Live for some reason.

Live is the embodiment of Minimalism. Even if it doesn't seem like much. Any additional device in an already long list will result in more clutter and information to process and slow-down the fast workflow people love so much about Live.

The true question is. Do you actually truly believe that Live *needs* a built in tuner? Just because it us possible for Ableton to add one relatively easily doesn't mean they should. It would just feel tacked-on.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:12 am

all this blather over a bloody TUNER?

give us Bounce In Place for christsake.... :evil: :cry: :evil:
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:23 am

and

One more.......

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:16 am

Why in the world would people argue AGAINST a fricking tuner?
Maybe I don't want to open up Amplitube or Guitar Rig or Max For Live every time I have an idea and I want to throw a quick guitar or bass track down using Amp. It really pisses me off when people are so narrow-minded about using Live for more than just electronic music. You don't have to use the tuner. I'll say it again: it would be nice to have a Live tuner and a Live pitch correction device. Is it okay for me to wish for that? I've been using this software for a LONG time. I should be able to put in one feature request once in ten years and not have to hear some ridiculous irrational arguments against it. But then, I'm hardly ever on the forums because I'm too busy making actual music.
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel

ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends

Post by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:51 am

Last edited by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends on Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.