apc40mkii and launchpad combined

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
robleighton22

apc40mkii and launchpad combined

Post by robleighton22 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:09 pm

hi,

hopefully some clever brain here can point me in the right direction. so i have a launchpad mini with launchpad95 (push emulation) and the apc mkii (with the step sequencer).

a few issues:

1) my template when opening live is such that the first 4 tracks are dedicated to my analog synths and tanzbar (analog drum machine). the next 8 tracks are audio channels dedicated for recording my tanzbar as each instrument is on a separate out (so kick is track 5, snare is track 6, rim is track 7, etc). Then the following 8 tracks after that are audio channels dedicated for recording any of the 3 analog synths (vermona performer, volca bass, juno 106). let's ignore the launchpad for the moment. The apc mkii is using the step sequencer template in the user section. If i wanted to record my kick pattern programmed on track 1 using the apc step sequencer, i would logically move the apc track to track 5 (audio channel setup to record kicks), and press record whilst still triggering the kick. However, when i move from track 5 back to track 1, track 5 is no longer recording! How can i get track 5 to stay recording until i manually decide to stop the clip?

Just to summarise, when a clip is recording on one track, why does moving to another track via the apc stop the clip recording (puts in play mode)? This is driving me mad as i want to record stuff on the fly.

2) I add the launchpad mini to the mix, so my m8 can record patterns on the launch pad using hte launcpad95 melodic step sequencer. however, moving tracks on the apc seems to also move tracks on the launchpad. Any idea how to make the launchpad completely independent to the apc? Is this even possible?

The aim would be to eventually get 2 more launchpad mini's to control the melodic patters for each hardware synth and then get the apc to allow me to independently record these sequencers. However, at present this is not possible with just 1 launchpad. Will be a shame if this level of control is simply not possible.

Any ideas? Apologies this is a very specific set of issues, but any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

robleighton22

Re: apc40mkii and launchpad combined

Post by robleighton22 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:24 pm

possibly worked out 2)

so, in order to get launchpad to exclusively always control certain midi clips, it seems setting the 'Midi From' to specifically "Launchpad95" works. So to summarise the issue now resolved, my friend could make patterns for a specific synth on the launchpad, whilst i play about with effects in other sections using the apc.

So only issue remaining, is it possible to keep a clip recording even when i select different tracks?