What are you biggest challenges to completing songs?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
chef of def

Re: What are you biggest challenges to completing songs?

Post by chef of def » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:50 am

Organizing samples, and building kits or instruments, is a big distraction to my song completion. Or I will get sidetracked on some sound design project. I just recently got Ms. Pinky via M4L nicely worked into a template for possibly performing a live set. And have been digging through my old projects looking for things to mix within a dj set.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:13 am

chef of def wrote:Organizing samples, and building kits or instruments, is a big distraction to my song completion. Or I will get sidetracked on some sound design project. I just recently got Ms. Pinky via M4L nicely worked into a template for possibly performing a live set. And have been digging through my old projects looking for things to mix within a dj set.
strangely enough I'd say that's one of the quickest things for me which can make a song completed.

step #1 : grab old and over-worked drums, output to stems.
step #2 :Grab several over-intricate basslines, in too many time signatures, as stems
step #3 :play all the clips of them on 4-bar loops, as a mash-up.

realise they are probably better that way.

jbodango

Post by jbodango » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:29 am

obtaining sample clearance for spoken word materials

Cool Character

Post by Cool Character » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:25 am

eyeknow wrote:Talent :x
I know this feel. :(

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:48 am

I have the coolest ideas and I'm great at combining sounds. I just can't get by the main theme most of the time.

Monchai

Post by Monchai » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:43 am

My Chanllenges are
: inspiration to start a song ( I can get about 80-90% of how I want my music to sound if I can get that starting sound (well 8 bar loop))
: Vocal ( I can't sing)

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:42 am

Sometimes it help to switch the Genre !

If you normaly do Techno start do some Reggae iE.... mhmm just an Idea

Bankcock sounds Nice @ Moonchai!

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:34 pm

I keep thinking im good enough for iTunes but then while learning new effects and synths I listen to my last completed song from weeks ago and think ewwww badly made presets and badly mixed too cheesy. New song I just made up by accident sounds more me and better.

I also think I'm trying to be too much of a perfectionist and afraid to release anything to the public that I might hate and be embarrassed of later.

beattorrent

Post by beattorrent » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:19 pm

Hi All, I post here very often and since I've read a lot of people having road blocks in completing a song I think it would be a good idea to share the stems and let the others finish it and consider it as a collaboration, what do you guys think? I think its cool if I can help someone finish their tracks, it would serve as a practice to my production skills as well, I have a shifting job like everybody else and do music during rest days but I make it to a point that I finish something before going back to work. Maybe we can all share our unfinished tracks and let someone finish it with their idea and call it collaboration. :D

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:30 pm

Getting it done before I get bored with it.

Lately I'm pushing myself to get the foundational elements in place as quickly as possible, which seems to be working well.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:56 pm

I think my frontal lobotomy has something to do with it.

innerstatejt

Post by innerstatejt » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:07 am

You Guys & Girls are Rocking this stream! I hadn't checked in in a while, but I'm going to go through all these comments & try to respond to the most common themes I hear. I appreciate you all taking the time to share your songwriting experiences! Keep them coming. You are not alone!
Download the FREE PDF: Recovery Songs That Have Lost Their Spark
https://www.musicsoftwaretraining.com/recovery

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:01 am

eyeknow wrote:I have the coolest ideas and I'm great at combining sounds. I just can't get by the main theme most of the time.
Five solutions:

1. In the next section change to the relative minor chord or move it up a fourth.

2. Just put anything in the next section. Maybe two notes, then loop the end of the cool idea with the start of the next section, and you will hear the right next note.

3. If your cool idea emphasises the first beat, then in the next section emphasise the off-beat, and vice versa.

4. If your cool idea emphasises melody, then the next section can emphasise rhythm or chords, and vice versa.

5. Emphasise production by just repeating the cool idea in many different ways, e.g. Levels by Avicii.

I agree with beattorrent's idea of collaboration. If you post a cool thing you have been seriously stuck on for a long time, then one of us will come up with a solution.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:45 pm

I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Garry Knight

Post by Garry Knight » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:29 pm

Being a home studio guy, even though I usually use virtual synths I collect sample packs. And on the - hopefully rare, so far - occasion that I get stuck for where to go next, I'll have a break then randomly click on loops: synth loops, drum loops, instrumental loops, breaks, tops, whatever. Sometimes they'll spark an idea. Interesting ones I'll drag into Session view to come back to later. Often it will be an idea for the next piece I do, sometimes it's an idea that either gives me the next step to take or leads towards it. Sometimes that doesn't happen until the next day after a good sleep and I'm glad I put the interesting loops in clips.

I also carry my H2n most places and if I hear anything interesting - anything - I'll grab it and if I'm too late to catch it all I'll do my best to describe it, hum it, whatever, so I remember it later.

I listen to TV commercials, recommended YouTube videos, stuff that's outside of my normal range of interest, anything - even lift music - for interesting sounds, pieces of melodies, interesting rhythms (or ones that make me want to move) and make notes for next time I need an idea.
Garry Knight