Control surface, Alesis MultiMix Mixers with FireWire

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
artefactus

Control surface, Alesis MultiMix Mixers with FireWire

Post by artefactus » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:02 am

Does anybody know if is possible to use the 8, 12 or 16 Alesis MultiMix Mixers with FireWire as a control surface for Live?

The Hulk

Re: Control surface, Alesis MultiMix Mixers with FireWire

Post by The Hulk » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:41 am

I'm surprised no one has asked this question yet. The specs on the Alesis site are pretty vague. We either have a sleeper amazing piece of hardware or something that has some serious flaws. At 500 for the 16 channel it still appears to be a better deal than a MOTU. If anyone knows anything about this piece, especially being able to use it as a control surface for Live (MIDI?) please post!
artefactus wrote:Does anybody know if is possible to use the 8, 12 or 16 Alesis MultiMix Mixers with FireWire as a control surface for Live?
The best, best songs are utterly forgettable.

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:59 am

The thing that I can see it replacing is an audio interface with the added benefit of having sliders to control the individual outs of tracks...

But there is no MIDI interface there, so you would still need a MIDI controller....

To me, the real question (and potential value propostion) is: Could this be a functional replacement for your current audio interface?

Its big though. So you couldn't get the same portability that you can get just using a regular audio interface and MIDI controllers...

its really a performance option if it works as I suspect. Wouldn't be for a DJ style mobile option, IMO.

rob.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:31 am

I'm selling my 1814 and getting the 12 channel. I was planning on buying a hardware mixer to quickly control the levels and EQing of my gear live, (I do live pa with hardware), but with one of these I could have an audio interface and hardware mixer in the same box... and still have the ability to route seperately each of the channels.

No MIDI isn't a big deal. A 2x2 USB interface costs like $40.

The Hulk

Post by The Hulk » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:56 pm

It Sounds like it's worth it if only just to have 16 preamps with EQ and effects immediately. I'd love to hear more people voice their experience with this. I love the my MOTU 828 but a built in EQ would definitely streamline my recording process.
A shame those faders couldn't control LIVE though. Or am I wrong? it comes with Cubase LE. It's kind of weird to have faders on a board but not be able to control your software with them during post-production.
The best, best songs are utterly forgettable.