Remote SL MK1 & Ableton Mixer: Can you pan with pan pots?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MIAR

Remote SL MK1 & Ableton Mixer: Can you pan with pan pots?

Post by MIAR » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:21 pm

Hey All,

Setting up my RemoteSL (Mark1) now and have Ableton (Mixer) working well with Automap Universal. Template 40

Ok so I'm just discovering that the mixer controls for volume are on the right hand side faders but the panning for same tracks are also on the same faders but can only be accessed via row select buttons. I would much prefer having those panning controls actually on the left hand side pan pots of the SL itself.

So I see these controls have been reserved for Ableton "Devices" which I can understand and would like to keep also but somehow switch. I'm not sure if such a thing is possible or if there is a redesigned template available. Maybe SL mark2 has the ability but much appreciate any experience you guys might share.

Has anyone been able to do this on SL MK1?

Thanks for your time.
Last edited by MIAR on Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

MIAR

Re: Remote SL & Ableton users: Can you pan with pan pots?

Post by MIAR » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:32 am

bump or anyone know how i control pan on mk1?

MIAR

Re: Remote SL MK1 & Ableton Mixer: Can you pan with pan pots?

Post by MIAR » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:34 am

Nobody has this combination out there?

malenko

Post by malenko » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:16 pm

I have the remote zero mk1. It cannot be done with automap in the way you are thinking. Like you say, the endless encoders are reserved for Live's devices but you can map the pots underneath to whatever you like. So you could setup a template with them pre mapped to pans, but obviously you will only be able to map to 8 tracks.
I think I contacted Novation years ago about being able to change Automap's Live template (I wanted Live's devices mapped to the pots and not the endless encoders which I do not like) but back then it wasn't possible. Perhaps there is a 3rd party out their with a working script?

Cheers

MIAR

Post by MIAR » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:51 pm

Thanks Melenko,

It does seem possible in MK2's but for MK1 not so. Shame. Volume and panning should really be on 2 separate controllers. I never use AU for Ableton Devices so its a big waste for me. I'd love if there was a choice out there. Seems like an easy thin g for Novation to adopt if they so wished.

:cry:

malenko

Post by malenko » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:27 pm

If you don't use for Abe devices then perhaps a user template mapped to exactly how you like it. I think you may be able to have several pages that way too so you can exceed the 8 tracks limit?

It is a shame that some of the developer's don't have a fully user integrated system. I also have the Icon Qcon Pro controller which uses the mackie protocol and some of its layout just doesn't make sense.

MIAR

Post by MIAR » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:05 pm

Yeah. Give us 2 templates maybe. 40 for ableton mixer and 41 (or whatever) for devices. I mean who is possibly gonna use 40 templates?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:12 pm

Actually, I just got an idea based on these ideas.

You should be able to create a user remote script for automap (use the automap template, not the Live template). Uhhh.... Not sure how many channels you can get though. But that would sort of be a start, not 100% perfect of course.

I think the remote controllers use a weird tweeked version of the mackie control script.

MIAR

Post by MIAR » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:11 pm

Not sure I follow you there yur2. But any hope for a solution is good. Such a waste of a full AU 61 key SL for me.

I'm chatting with support and hoping there is a feature request where we might put some pressure on them to create one. I'd be very surprised if we the only ones who would prefer a full Ableton Mixer only template (no devices required).

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:02 pm

Well, are you familiar with how there are several modes for the keyboard?

There is the specifically Ableton Live control mode,
Midi modes in other instances,
But also 'Automap' mode.

Automap mode is pretty complex itself. It has a 'User' mode which allows you to just do general midi mapping. But it is flexible in how it can over multiple pages of mapping.

If one were to press the Automap button on their keyboard, they would quickly be able to switch between automap mode and Ableton Live mode.

Another option would just be to create a User Remote Script. It would not give a whole lot of feedback, but it would be easy to assign pan and volume (etc) to it on a separate channel from the Ableton control preset and be able to switch between the two.

But in order to get actual display feedback, you might have to implement some kind of mackie control method, which would be an entirely different beast.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:23 pm

MIAR wrote:I'm chatting with support and hoping there is a feature request where we might put some pressure on them to create one.
This is unlikely to happen, you will get a better result learning python and writing your own...

Cheers
D

MIAR

Post by MIAR » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:44 am

Dang!

The integration of the SL in Ableton is actually developed by Ableton themselves and not something we're able to change from this end. When you set the SL as a control surface in Live's 'Link MIDI' preferences page, Live loads it's script for the ReMOTE SL which it used to determine which controls control which parameters. Editing of these scripts is not something we can support and so the only way to change the assignments in the way you're looking to is to use Live's built in 'MIDI Learn' function.

The original SL has been discontinued for several years so I'm afraid it's unlikely Ableton would implement changes to their ReMOTE SL script at this time.

MIAR

Post by MIAR » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:43 am

Hi All,

Thought I might revist this topic. Has there been any new developments or has anyone figured if its possible to do this in MK1?