Best samples or plugin for retro drum machine sounds.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
IronShirt

Best samples or plugin for retro drum machine sounds.

Post by IronShirt » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:17 am

I know there are a few core drum racks that have vintage drum machine sounds. I'm looking for something as close to the original as possible. Mainly looking at CR-78, DMX and Linndrum. I know there are sample packs from Goldbaby and others. As well I know Forgotten Keys do some nice stuff in a Kontakt plug. How do people find the native core retro drum sounds in Ableton like the Core-C78 compares to Forgotten Keys or other samples for accuracy?

dbfs

Re: Best samples or plugin for retro drum machine sounds.

Post by dbfs » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:07 am

http://www.arturia.com/products/drums/s ... m/overview

Roland TR-808
Roland TR-909
Roland CR-78
Roland R8
Roland TR-626
Roland TR-606
Roland TR-707
Roland TR-727
Linn Electronics LinnDrum
Linn Electronics Linn 9000
Korg Mini Pops 7
Korg DDM 110 & 220
Korg KPR-77
AceTone Rhythm Ace FR-2L
DrumTraks
Simmons SDS
E-mu Drumulator
Boss DR-55
Maestro Rhythm King MRK2
Oberheim DMX
E-mu SP-12
Casio VL Tone and SK-1
Casio RZ-1
Kawai R-100
Yamaha RX5
Yamaha MR10
Pulsator
Micromatix
Phatwerk
Dirty 909

Pretty much every old school drum machine you could ever want in one plugin.

IronShirt

Post by IronShirt » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:57 pm

Yeah, sometimes I actually wish I went with Spark instead of Machine.

Schmidi

Post by Schmidi » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:14 pm

There is a large free pack already from Ableton: https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/drum-m ... _type=free

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:27 am

IronShirt wrote:I know there are a few core drum racks that have vintage drum machine sounds. I'm looking for something as close to the original as possible. Mainly looking at CR-78, DMX and Linndrum. I know there are sample packs from Goldbaby and others. As well I know Forgotten Keys do some nice stuff in a Kontakt plug. How do people find the native core retro drum sounds in Ableton like the Core-C78 compares to Forgotten Keys or other samples for accuracy?
I decided for Fxpansion Tremor instead of samples. My objective isn't to get the sound from before but to do analogue drums as I always wanted them. It's the attack phase that makes the difference. Of course Tremor can't do everything, but so far I've had very little use of drum machine samples. But samples are always useful if you have the time to investigate them. I love pairing samples with synths, but there's a certain amount of work involved naturally.

I guess the time you need to invest in any synth is the major drawback programming analogue drum sounds yourself. The Tremor presets aren't that great, so it takes you investing the time to create the sounds you need.
Make some music!