Best way to export clips?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
GeoffMutton

Best way to export clips?

Post by GeoffMutton » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:44 pm

This may be a noob question, but I've been making drum loops from my music collection and I want to put them into a folder for use at any time from any project.

If I just drag the loop clip into my "drum loops" folder in the browser, it works, but when I examine the file, it's only 5kB - which must mean it's not saving the audio, just the settings and a reference to the audio file.
This makes it easy for the clip and the original audio to become separated.

The clips are consolidated pieces of audio, so only contain the loop, not the whole song - is there a way to save a clip as a single file including audio? (sort of like a 'collect all and save' for clips!)

Thanks folks.

Sibanger

Re: Best way to export clips?

Post by Sibanger » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:21 am

Hi Geoff,

This works for me.

Depending on the clip, I would usually consolidate the clip before the next step.

In Places, I have a folder for my saved audio clips.

Create a folder.

Click on the sample/clip, then have a look at the clip view. (bottom left)
Under the heading SAMPLE, you will see the name of the clip. If you click on it, the sample will show up in the Browser Content Pane.

In the Browser Content Pane, Left click on the sample, hold (do not release until end) and drag the clip from the Browser across to the folder you have created in Places and then drag to the right Browser pane and drop.

Hope that makes sense.

GeoffMutton

Post by GeoffMutton » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:08 pm

Yeah,
This is marginally better (at least I can have a folder called "Audio Files" in my drum loops folder now and keep everything organised).

There's enough extra steps to guarantee I'll screw up remembering to do it at least 50% of the time :)

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:06 am

In writing, it sounds more complicated than it is :wink: