Don't install the 9.1.6 update.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kb420

Re: Don't install the 9.1.6 update.

Post by kb420 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:27 pm

koranek wrote:Also. several crashes/freezes on quit. This is new for me in this version.

Thanks for your input. Unlike some, I won't try to convince you that it's your fault.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

koranek

Post by koranek » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:44 pm

Appreciate it.
https://soundcloud.com/johnkoranek

2020 27" iMac i9 10 core, 64G Ram, OS 10.15.7
Push 2
Novation SL MKIII
iConnectAudio 2+, iConnectMidi 4+
Live 11 Sweet

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:14 pm

kb420 wrote:
koranek wrote:Also. several crashes/freezes on quit. This is new for me in this version.

Thanks for your input. Unlike some, I won't try to convince you that it's your fault.
I'm also on the buggy boat of ableton live 9.1.6, like too many, it is sad.

if it doesn't crash at least once a day on the first launch of a set, it is a little miracle for the day.

I'm tired since a few months to send bug reports and crash files without getting any valuable answer at all, not to say NONE.

SO no don't ask me to send bug reports. I'm not using ableton live for that purpose guys, I use it for composing music.
I think this was and still is its main usage, it is a daw not a "sending bug reports" application

I'm not blaming ableton here for the beta politic, some other companies have also jumped on this new cool way to publish software nowadays... BETA is good if the release candidate is rock solid.

I prefer beta that will bring improvements over time, developpers hearing reasonably the whishes of users.
fixing bugs or bringing better feeling for the users while they use one's software?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:21 pm

You don't get replies for crashlogs, I think the they accumulate them to find commonalities.

18 users with RME cards have a hung output buffer,
27 users who edited notes with another track armed have heard strange popping noises,
2,128,965 users with Max4Live devices in their default template crashing on startup.

That sort of thing.

Stromkraft

Turn off autoupdate!

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:18 am

Hermanus wrote: I'm also on the buggy boat of ableton live 9.1.6, like too many, it is sad.

if it doesn't crash at least once a day on the first launch of a set, it is a little miracle for the day.

I'm tired since a few months to send bug reports and crash files without getting any valuable answer at all, not to say NONE.

SO no don't ask me to send bug reports. I'm not using ableton live for that purpose guys, I use it for composing music.

I'm not blaming ableton here for the beta politic, some other companies have also jumped on this new cool way to publish software nowadays... BETA is good if the release candidate is rock solid.
The releases are not betas. There's a specific open beta channel of Live at ableton.centercode.com. I find the 9.1.x betas surprisingly stable and the Ableton bug team active on Centercode site very responsive and to the point. I've found the 9.1.x releases to be incrementally better, faster and more stable than what was before, which is how it should be.

If you suddenly get crashes with a new update, that's of course very bad for your productivity. If you use a lot of third party software in Live you'd be well advised to turn off Autoupdate (!!!) and install new updates manually as well saving the previous version on disk. At least on OS X Live versions can coexist side by side. I'd think that is so on Windows as well

At minimum prior to any update, check with your third party suppliers if the new incremental version of Live is supported or if you need to wait for that third party piece of software to get an update.

Ableton should really consider to make all previous incremental updates available at your Ableton account. How is it in their interest to make it hard for their users to downgrade when they encounter issues after an update?
Last edited by Stromkraft on Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

re:dream

Re: Turn off autoupdate!

Post by re:dream » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:28 am

Stromkraft wrote: Ableton should really consider to make all previous incremental updates available at your Ableton account. How is it in their interest to make it hard for their users to downgrade when they encounter issues after an update?
agreed

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:43 am

You know, CEO is trying to be another Steve Jobs and imitate apple way... smh

kb420

Post by kb420 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:30 pm

I solved the problem on my own. Tech support said that the crash logs indicated it was a problem with memory. So, I did the only thing I could do. I upgraded to a 64 bit laptop with 16 gigs of ram. No more problems.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:02 am

kb420 wrote:I solved the problem on my own. Tech support said that the crash logs indicated it was a problem with memory. So, I did the only thing I could do. I upgraded to a 64 bit laptop with 16 gigs of ram. No more problems.
I'm glad it worked out for you. Didn't you give me some diet advice when I as well as others suggested that it could be, umm, "memory related"?
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

kb420

Post by kb420 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:07 am

Stromkraft wrote:
kb420 wrote:I solved the problem on my own. Tech support said that the crash logs indicated it was a problem with memory. So, I did the only thing I could do. I upgraded to a 64 bit laptop with 16 gigs of ram. No more problems.
Didn't you give me some diet advice when I as well as others suggested that it could be, umm, "memory related"?
You must love the diet advice I gave you because you keep coming back for more. And you still can't seem to understand that the same set was created with 9.1.5 on the very laptop that wouldn't load the set with 9.1.6.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:10 am

kb420 wrote:
You must love the diet advice I gave you because you keep coming back for more. And you still can't seem to understand that the same set was created on the very laptop that wouldn't load the set with 9.1.6.
I'm sorry but If I have to eat limp shit — and I don't — I prefer Noodles.

So you were wrong all along and you keep behaving like a dick! Great choices you make there!
Make some music!

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:17 am

Ladies.......please! :lol:

Of course I can't talk, I'm the one who threatened a guy running the stop sign with a crowbar :mrgreen:

I didn't think that it was simply a kb420 thing though, was it? I thought I've heard quite a few people complain about the 9.16 update? :roll:

Anyways, not stickin' up for anyone......already got my ass chewed for that somewhere else.

kb420: Now remember.......the next time someone moans because they are talking about x64, make sure you politely remind them that having extra ram DOES INDEED make a difference in how hosts work :)

kb420

Post by kb420 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:01 am

eyeknow wrote:kb420: Now remember.......the next time someone moans because they are talking about x64, make sure you politely remind them that having extra ram DOES INDEED make a difference in how hosts work :)
I know it makes a difference. I have a x64 desktop, and it definitely outperforms my 32 bit laptop. I honestly didn't want to spend the money on a high performance laptop, but the time has come.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:24 am

kb420 wrote:
eyeknow wrote:kb420: Now remember.......the next time someone moans because they are talking about x64, make sure you politely remind them that having extra ram DOES INDEED make a difference in how hosts work :)
I know it makes a difference. I have a x64 desktop, and it definitely outperforms my 32 bit laptop. I honestly didn't want to spend the money on a high performance laptop, but the time has come.
Funny that the Ableton people recommend using 32 bit Live for stability.

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:28 am

I too am having crashes since updating. I think it is a combination of the Live update and upgrading to OSX Mavericks. I can't be believe I fell for it. Mountain Lion was working fine for me. I'm debating downgrading back. On the other hand, my desktop is fine with the same OS and Live update. But that one has twice as much memory. I think Mavericks is choking up all my RAM on the laptop. Combine that with Live 9.1.6 and Max 7 and you have a recipe for constant crashing.......unless my hard drive is just going bad. So many possibilities. I wish this stuff just worked like it did 10 years ago: FL Studio 4 on a Dell Pentium 4 with 768 of RAM- never had any trouble. Wish I could get that setup back.
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel