Don't install the 9.1.6 update.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kb420

Re: Don't install the 9.1.6 update.

Post by kb420 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:05 am

Stromkraft wrote:
kb420 wrote:My largest live set refuses to open in 9.1.6. I have two computers, both using Windows 8.1. My 64 bit desktop doesn't have a problem, but my 32 laptop will not open some of my Live sets that were created with Live 9.1.5.
Seriously, your problem is limited to 32-bit Windows 9.1.6 for one large project. You could try reinstallation and if that doesn't work reinstall 9.1.5 on this machine, no?

Have you tried starting a new project and then use the browser and move in all these tracks?
I don't have the 9.1.5 update anymore. My computer automatically updated to that on it's own. The only version I have is 9.1.3. The set that I am talking about has close to 500 clips. I really don't feel like trying to load all 500 by hand when it should just work. :roll:
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:26 am

kb420 wrote:The set that I am talking about has close to 500 clips. I really don't feel like trying to load all 500 by hand
Eh, you can like load tracks with all the clips in them. There's no need having to load one clip at a time. What made you think you had to?

Actually you can drag several tracks at once into the current project. Just add your project parent folder in "Places". Then go to the project file and open it up and select the tracks you want and drag them in.

My thinking was that this way you would find out what prevents the load in a more detailed way. Usually it's a plug-in or media file that is missing when these things happen, I think. Are you certain you have all packs and plug-ins installed on both machines?
kb420 wrote:it should just work. :roll:
Of course it should. But it doesn't. How's that working for you? I reckon that either you want to do something about this — and that may involve investigating the issues you're having further and learn about them — or you don't. You might have encountered a bug, but currently you don't know this.
Make some music!

kb420

Post by kb420 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:54 am

Stromkraft wrote:
kb420 wrote:The set that I am talking about has close to 500 clips. I really don't feel like trying to load all 500 by hand
Eh, you can like load tracks with all the clips in them. There's no need having to load one clip at a time. What made you think you had to?

Actually you can drag several tracks at once into the current project. Just add your project parent folder in "Places". Then go to the project file and open it up and select the tracks you want and drag them in.

My thinking was that this way you would find out what prevents the load in a more detailed way. Usually it's a plug-in or media file that is missing when these things happen, I think. Are you certain you have all packs and plug-ins installed on both machines?
Of course it should. But it doesn't. How's that working for you? I reckon that either you want to do something about this — and that may involve investigating the issues you're having further and learn about them — or you don't. You might have encountered a bug, but currently you don't know this.
Well, I'm not trying to argue with you. I know I can rebuild the set. I need the set up and running by the weekend. If all else fails, I will rebuild it, but rebuilding it isn't the issue. The issue is, it worked fine in 9.1.5, but it doesn't in 9.1.6. Honestly, I don't know why you are coming off with an attitude towards me. I've been a Live user since 2006.f

I reported it to tech support, and they've contacted me on the issue twice now. No need for you to raise your childish fanboy armor towards me.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:04 pm

Stromkraft = Cperezzz? :lol:

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:13 pm

kb420 wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:

Well, I'm not trying to argue with you. I know I can rebuild the set. I need the set up and running by the weekend. If all else fails, I will rebuild it, but rebuilding it isn't the issue. The issue is, it worked fine in 9.1.5, but it doesn't in 9.1.6. Honestly, I don't know why you are coming off with an attitude towards me. I've been a Live user since 2006.f

I reported it to tech support, and they've contacted me on the issue twice now. No need for you to raise your childish fanboy armor towards me.
It might be worth investigating further why the set works on the desktop but not on the laptop. Do you think Stromkraft is correct in assuming that it is set size that is the problem? (How big is your set?)

I found a lot of small things broken in 9.1.6 because various scripts and options preferences were not copied over...

kb420

Post by kb420 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:26 pm

re:dream wrote:It might be worth investigating further why the set works on the desktop but not on the laptop. Do you think Stromkraft is correct in assuming that it is set size that is the problem? (How big is your set?)

I found a lot of small things broken in 9.1.6 because various scripts and options preferences were not copied over...
Why would set size be a problem when the same set was created and loaded in 9.1.5 with no problem at all on the same laptop?
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:20 pm

kb420 wrote:
re:dream wrote:It might be worth investigating further why the set works on the desktop but not on the laptop. Do you think Stromkraft is correct in assuming that it is set size that is the problem? (How big is your set?)

Why would set size be a problem when the same set was created and loaded in 9.1.5 with no problem at all on the same laptop?
Separate to any issues the current Live version&M4L may have

It's plausible that your set may have been close to the threshold in 9.1.5 but a small increase in Live's allocation in 9.1.6 would take you over the 32bit threshold. Which is quite a low limit.
It's plausible to guess that Live's memory requirement increased by a few KB to fix an older bug; Increases could be anything from how max caches waves, to how the looper allocates or cleares memory, how the browser index operates, or even some buffer of notes held for the API. All guesses.
But if your set is big, 64bit Live is the only real option. Anything else is going to fall over eventually.

Post by re:dream » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:05 pm

kb420 wrote:

That's exactly what I am asking. Angstrom might be right, but there may be any one of a number of other causes :(

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:58 am

kb420 wrote:
Well, I'm not trying to argue with you. I know I can rebuild the set. I need the set up and running by the weekend. If all else fails, I will rebuild it, but rebuilding it isn't the issue. The issue is, it worked fine in 9.1.5, but it doesn't in 9.1.6.
You already admitted it works in 64bit 9.1.6 on one machine. You don't find this interesting?
kb420 wrote: No need for you to raise your childish fanboy armor towards me.
Me stating the obvious may hurt your ego, but in the end realizing you need to find the cause, optionally in concert with other users and Ableton support, is the only way getting what you say you want.

I'm not defending Ableton if there is indeed a bug. I'm not questioning your issue. I'm trying to suggest things you could do to solve this, but instead of trying something that could lead to you better understanding the issues you're having you're being defensive.

It's time for you to learn that it is natural for stuff to work differently when you upgrade anything in your current system. Software interaction is complex and it's hard to test for all combinations of hardware and third party software. This is especially true for real-time software, like music production apps.

Doing your home work includes downloading and saving previous installers for all your vital software and storing these outside your main machine. If you had done that going back to 9.1.5 would be way quicker now, wouldn't it?

I'm surprised no-one have come forward to share their 32-bit 9.1.5. Unfortunately I don't have the Windows version.
I think it's bad service on Ableton's part not to have also previous incremental updates available, as issues when upgrading do happen and there could be conflicts with the third party plug-ins. C'mon Ableton, don't go all Apple on us! We're just trying to make music.
Make some music!

kb420

Post by kb420 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:40 am

Stromkraft wrote:
kb420 wrote:
Well, I'm not trying to argue with you. I know I can rebuild the set. I need the set up and running by the weekend. If all else fails, I will rebuild it, but rebuilding it isn't the issue. The issue is, it worked fine in 9.1.5, but it doesn't in 9.1.6.
You already admitted it works in 64bit 9.1.6 on one machine. You don't find this interesting?
kb420 wrote: No need for you to raise your childish fanboy armor towards me.
Me stating the obvious may hurt your ego, but in the end realizing you need to find the cause, optionally in concert with other users and Ableton support, is the only way getting what you say you want.

I'm not defending Ableton if there is indeed a bug. I'm not questioning your issue. I'm trying to suggest things you could do to solve this, but instead of trying something that could lead to you better understanding the issues you're having you're being defensive.

It's time for you to learn that it is natural for stuff to work differently when you upgrade anything in your current system. Software interaction is complex and it's hard to test for all combinations of hardware and third party software. This is especially true for real-time software, like music production apps.

Doing your home work includes downloading and saving previous installers for all your vital software and storing these outside your main machine. If you had done that going back to 9.1.5 would be way quicker now, wouldn't it?

I'm surprised no-one have come forward to share their 32-bit 9.1.5. Unfortunately I don't have the Windows version.
I think it's bad service on Ableton's part not to have also previous incremental updates available, as issues when upgrading do happen and there could be conflicts with the third party plug-ins. C'mon Ableton, don't go all Apple on us! We're just trying to make music.
Really? Smdh.

This forum has become as bad as Sonar's forum. If the program doesn't work, blame the user.

Hey Stromkraft, EAT A DICK!!!!
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Post by re:dream » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:49 pm

Well, that went well. 8O

[spl]

Post by [spl] » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:58 pm

Hi guys!

Just briefly jumping in on this thread.

Whereas I am sure that you are mostly aware of the Community Guidelines, as a general note and reminder, it really isn't necessary to take on bully-ish or aggressive tones towards each other.

As for issues that you are not able to solve, again, if you send crash / status reports through the link that [tow] posted and allow for a little bit of time, they will be looked into.

koranek

Post by koranek » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:14 pm

Also. several crashes/freezes on quit. This is new for me in this version.
https://soundcloud.com/johnkoranek

2020 27" iMac i9 10 core, 64G Ram, OS 10.15.7
Push 2
Novation SL MKIII
iConnectAudio 2+, iConnectMidi 4+
Live 11 Sweet

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:23 pm

kb420 wrote: This forum has become as bad as Sonar's forum. If the program doesn't work, blame the user.
You blame the software, even when you set works in Live 9.1.6 on one 64bit machine and not in another 32bit machine (If I understood you correctly). You're blaming the forum when you're angry with me because I tell you as I see it. Why?

Is it really too much to ask that the user here, you, tries to do something of what's being suggested to adress the problem? After all, usually people that tells about a problem they're having really wants to solve the issue and not just get a sympathetic ear.

As chances are maybe 50% your set is the cause, it's just silly not to try and see if making the set smaller can fix this.

I get that you're frustrated with Live and what not. Who wouldn't be if they're depending on it as most of us are? That's still no reason to act like a …
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:26 pm

koranek wrote:Also. several crashes/freezes on quit. This is new for me in this version.
I had a few of these in 9.1.4 I think. None so far in 9.1.6.
Make some music!