MIDI over Bluetooth on iOS

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
BoddAH

MIDI over Bluetooth on iOS

Post by BoddAH » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:20 pm

I have waited for years but with Korg releasing apps directly designed to work with Live, an increasingly large catalogue of awesome synthesizers, rhythm machines, mobile sequencers and other useful apps I think I am now pretty close to pulling the trigger on an iPad Air 2.

One thing will seal the deal for me:

MIDI over Bluetooth (with iOS 8)

I already experimented with other methods on my iPhone but Wi-Fi is plagued by jitter and a complicated and messy setup process and getting a dedicated wired interface (why no option to directly use the sync/charging cable ?) is stupid and awkward as well.

Does anybody know how MIDI over Bluetooth works or is intended to work in the future once the developers start integrating it into their software?

Do you have to get a dedicated App to serve as Bluetooth to MIDI interface like MIDI LE http://www.s-r-n.de/midile/ or will Synthesizers and other apps integrate MIDI over Bluetooth natively in time?

Ideally, all that you would have to do is pair your iPad with your laptop and the iPad would appear natively in the list of MIDI interfaces in Live 9 and be able to directly send and receive MIDI from whatever compatible App you are currently using. :mrgreen:

TomViolenz

Re: MIDI over Bluetooth on iOS

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:16 pm

BoddAH wrote:
Ideally, all that you would have to do is pair your iPad with your laptop and the iPad would appear natively in the list of MIDI interfaces in Live 9 and be able to directly send and receive MIDI from whatever compatible App you are currently using. :mrgreen:
I was wondering why no one talked much about this change to iOS here before.
I think it's a big thing,
and yes, that's what I expect will happen.
Just give the app developers some time. 8)

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:51 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
BoddAH wrote:
I was wondering why no one talked much about this change to iOS here before.
I think it's a big thing,
and yes, that's what I expect will happen.
Just give the app developers some time. 8)
I am willing to take a leap of faith here and get an iPad since this is obviously what will happen IF that’s really possible, but first I need to SEE if and how it actually works.

Isn’t there a single big and famous synthesizer App out there that already integrates MIDI over Bluetooth natively? iOS 8 and Yosemite have both been out for some time now. Korg Gadget, Propellerhead Thor or some other big name Apps with big development teams behind them that get updated constantly should be up-to-date by now. Especially since there’s big money to be made by being the first to support that kind of thing.

Why not? I haven’t even heard of official announcements. This smells fishy to me.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:13 am

I too am just waiting on the sidelines. So I don't know.

But the way it sounded was that Midi over Bluetooth LE, will be basically the same Midi engine that they use in OSX made available to iOS apps on the iPad.

If anyone knows more details, I would also be interested to hear them.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:56 am

I'm going to tell you right now. If that is the thing you're waiting on, don't let it be the deciding factor.

I do not have miraculously undiscernable results. It still has a wirelessness about it.

However. The ipad is really fucking amazing and fun. I think lf it as the best 'groovebox' money can buy. If you think about:
Price
Flexibility
Portability
Invisibility
Battery
Storage
Connection capability

It is very fun. I am very surprised by the battery life. Apparently, if I'm not watching full screen video, I can not have to charge for quite a long time. Could easily make it through a 6 hr set without being plugged in.

I got the most expensive one at full price and am very happy with my investment. Unfortunately education is interfering with my real life musical passions :P

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:14 pm

Version 1.1 "code name: Redwood City"
New Features (2014.11.27 Update)

The KORG Module app now includes five high-quality sound engine gadgets.
Each stylish body produces the exact same sounds as before. This will provide powerful tone for all Gadget-based music production.
Visit here for more information
Ableton Live project export functionality has been enhanced, allowing you to choose either WAV or AAC as the audio file format for export. You can export in any format that's appropriate for your production style.
Any previous glitches have been fixed courtesy of the Restore function available on the gadget select screen. This will help users located the Bilbao/Abu Dhabi sound libraries that had disappeared from the system.
MIDI over Bluetooth, the latest iOS 8 technology, is now supported and other improvements have been made to enhance usability and stability.

- See more at: http://www.korg.com/us/products/softwar ... YIAD7.dpuf

The latest update to gadget seems to finally include MIDI over Bluetooth. As always, Korg is on the cutting edge of the latest iOS technology. :D

Has anybody tried this functionality? Is it a simple matter of pairing your iOS device with your Bluetooth-enabled laptop and setting up the MIDI inputs and outputs in Live?

I can’t stomach anything involving interface-daemons, unstable background-programs or complicated setups every time I actually want to establish a connection anymore.

Gadget alone working seamlessly with MIDI over Bluetooth would be enough to convince me to finally get an iPad. There’s plenty to do with this fine App (I hear). It’s perfectly integrated with Live in many ways and it would be a nice proof-of-concept for many other professional Apps that will certainly follow.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:37 pm

I think I would be more interested in the controller apps for Live like TouchAble.
Do some of them already do Midi over Bluetooth?!

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:46 pm

TomViolenz wrote:I think I would be more interested in the controller apps for Live like TouchAble.
Do some of them already do Midi over Bluetooth?!

Not to my knowledge. And MIDI over Wi-Fi has so much jitter it is almost unusable for me.

m.nash

Post by m.nash » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:07 am

Just tested this out. Experience so far – crazy latency and midi clock sync is all over the map.

Will tinker some more, but something tells me this isn't ready for primetime.

m.nash

Post by m.nash » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:33 am

Good news. Was able to get it to work pretty smoothly using the Apollo Midi app you install it on your mac and iOS devices. The app recognizes your compatible apps (Gadget) in this case.

Exciting stuff.

greenfly

Post by greenfly » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:48 pm

Hi m.nash.

Would it be possible for you to describe how you managed to set up gadget so it works with ableton using apollo. ( screenshots would be great as I am really thick when it comes to setting up this sort of stuff) .

Would be of enormous help.

Best regards :)

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:21 pm

http://discchord.com/blog/2015/1/2/nova ... r-ios.html

This is what the future is becoming