Why no app or controller has control over drum rack mixer?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
login

Why no app or controller has control over drum rack mixer?

Post by login » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:41 pm

Except for PXT Live no controller or iPad app has a way to control the drum rack mixer. No one mixes their drums?

Right now its the one thing which gets in my way, having to open the drum rack and adjust volumes.

Yes I know I can map volume faders to macros or use an utility plug in and map it's volume control too. I do both regularly. But I just hate when I add a kit from the library or a pack and I have to configure all this...
Last edited by login on Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

h3rtz

Re: Why no app or controller has control over drum rack mixer?

Post by h3rtz » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:23 pm

I keep aksing myself the same question. If i recall correctly, live 8 would map the apc's faders to the drum rack mixer when unfolded. Wasnt ideal but better than what we have now which is... Nothing

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:39 pm

If I understand our question, any controller that provides device control will map the volumes of a drum kit to the device controls. This is true of the APC40 (and the Mk2), the APC Mini, and even the APC Key 25 - also the Novation Launch Control (I think). The APC Mini does map the drum kit to its faders...

Other controllers will do this too (e.g. Launchpad95), even if with third party help, but you have to jump through more hoops.

But maybe I don't understand the question....

h3rtz

Post by h3rtz » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:54 pm

Buleriachk wrote:any controller that provides device control will map the volumes of a drum kit to the device controls
Really? How? I dont know a way to blue hand a drum rack. Blue hand will always jump to a device on a pad/chain in the rack. But what i want is my controllers faders or knobs automatically mapping to the drum racks faders.

DR is on track 1 in all my sets. When i unfolded it in live 8, the apc would pick up the first 8 faders which would then be the drum racks sub tracks. If i would then minimize the rack, faders would simply control the next 7 tracks after the DR. No idea why they changed that.

I own push, apc40 mk I, touchable 2 and livecontrol 2 but none features dedicated drum rack mixer control. Strays PXT script is also more of a workaround for me as it maps all knobs of push to the controls of just one track.

What i would find perfect is all knobs of push mapping to the volumes of the first eight outputs/chains/pads of a DR when focusing it.

h3rtz

Post by h3rtz » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:42 am

Diggin a little in the beatwise network, i might have found something.

Theres a clyphx addon called macrobat. It provides a drum rack mode. Basically u use the macros of an empty audio effects rack to control parameters of the samplers/simplers in a DR.

Drum rack multi mode lets u control the same parameter of several samplers/simplers. The key is that you specify the instrument by its chain number. If i understand correctly that means that if u have set up a macrobat rack for volume with macros controlling volume of instrument on chain 1, chain 2, etc; it keeps its functionality even if u change the drum rack. Macro 1 will simply control volume of instrument on chain 1, no matter which drum rack.

Downside is, it only works for simplers/samplers in drum racks. And it doesnt actually control the drum rack sub tracks outputs. So still a workaround, but i will try.