Max for Live creators, do you upload your stuff for others?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jbw

Max for Live creators, do you upload your stuff for others?

Post by jbw » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:51 am

To my own shock and amazement, I actually created a Max for Live device. I say shock and amazement because I never thought I'd create something using Max.

I am now debating uploading it, but am hesitant because I get the sense that there are pro users who would see my creation and say, "Haha look at your puny device it is so weak!" and I would be like :cry:

I actually find the device really useful.

Any any rate, what do you think? Should I bother?
Last edited by jbw on Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends

Re: Max for Live creators, do you upload your stuff for others?

Post by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:53 am

Last edited by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends on Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

jbw

Post by jbw » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:16 am

ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends wrote:upload it, what is the worse thing that could happen?
I'm just more or less trying to gauge how useful it would be to people.

I think I'll eventually upload it.

On a side note, the whole process was a lot easier than I thought it would be. The Max for Live in app manual and help files are really good. I also picked up a few things from the "Building Tools" pack, as well as Cycling's "Programming for Max" video playlist on YouTube. Though I must admit I didn't build it from scratch, instead taking bits from here and there, and looking into devices to see how it's all done.
Last edited by jbw on Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:31 am

If you find it useful then someone else will probably find it useful also. Even if you think it's simple, sometimes simple is all you need. If the point is to get a specific job done and it does that, then it's useful. If someone is laughing about your device then fuck em, they're a prick. I doubt a max for live user would be so sorry and bitter to be like that anyway.
ImageImage

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:22 am

shadx312 wrote:If someone is laughing about your device then fuck em, they're a prick
Cheers
D

JoshG567

Post by JoshG567 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:40 pm

My humble little MIDI remote mapping devices for time signature, MIDI record quantize, and crossover assign control have between 63-88 downloads. No one has commented with problems or improvements yet, so it has been of limited use to me but some ppl out there are rocking them.

One thing I'd implore you to do before posting, though, that actually boosts the professionalism of your work a LOT is to go through the inspector for each of your presentation mode control objects (parameter dials, etc.) to give each one a unique name and info view text. Being able to see Undo 'Kick Quantize' in the edit menu is way more helpful than Undo 'live.dial'. Also, it annoys me when I download someone else's device and there's no text in the info view to help me figure out the interface and control logic. It only takes patience/discipline to set it up, not programming wizardry.

THOSE are things I would rag on someone for, not for the simplicity or "beginner" nature of a patch.

jbw

Post by jbw » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:10 pm

JoshG567 wrote:My humble little MIDI remote mapping devices for time signature, MIDI record quantize, and crossover assign control have between 63-88 downloads. No one has commented with problems or improvements yet, so it has been of limited use to me but some ppl out there are rocking them.

One thing I'd implore you to do before posting, though, that actually boosts the professionalism of your work a LOT is to go through the inspector for each of your presentation mode control objects (parameter dials, etc.) to give each one a unique name and info view text. Being able to see Undo 'Kick Quantize' in the edit menu is way more helpful than Undo 'live.dial'. Also, it annoys me when I download someone else's device and there's no text in the info view to help me figure out the interface and control logic. It only takes patience/discipline to set it up, not programming wizardry.

THOSE are things I would rag on someone for, not for the simplicity or "beginner" nature of a patch.
Thanks for the tip. I think I'll also add in text for Live's Info View, even if it is a relatively simple sequencer, because there is kind of a specific workflow to it.

jbw

Post by jbw » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:11 am

JoshG567 wrote:...It only takes patience/discipline to set it up, not programming wizardry...
Well, it's all relative. I just tried to name the different parts and for whatever reason it caused the device to glitch out, rendering my "initial" settings obsolete, so that when you load the device it becomes unusable. :x

I think I'll just bypass that aspect of it. Even with the default names it probably shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

jbw

Post by jbw » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:15 pm

GUY SMILEY wrote:http://www.maxforlive.com
Yeah I got that site bookmarked.

Anyone know a good way to record a screen capture? I was thinking of doing a video for this device, just so people could see it in action. Quicktime doesn't record the audio from Live though. I guess there is a program called Soundflower, but I haven't checked that out yet, and saw it's no longer supported. Any advice for recording Live via screen capture?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:41 pm

Screenflow is pretty awesome!

Cheers
D

JoshG567

Post by JoshG567 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:41 pm

I've started running CamStudio while I work just so I can go back and see mix tweaks I've made.

I could feasibly edit footage together into a video with something like Premier, or even Blender where I imagine I'd import the audio as WAV from Live and manually sync it up with the video. I definitely have not found a way to record video, screenshare, or live stream that will get the vid and audio together - I think it's because of Live taking over the audio driver while it's running.

JoshG567

Post by JoshG567 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:44 pm

ScreenFlow DOES look pretty good, thx for that post.

Unfortunately it's Mac exclusive.

I'm going to give this a try - http://www.screenflowwindows.com/

jbw

Post by jbw » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:21 am

S4racen wrote:Screenflow is pretty awesome!
It's also pretty expensive, unless maybe you can get by with just the demo?

There's quite a few cheap screen recording apps in the Mac App Store, not sure if they work with Live though. :?

jbw

Post by jbw » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:11 pm

nm
Last edited by jbw on Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.