Seeking an Alternative to Waves Vocal Rider Plugin

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
mjwalker
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:28 pm

Seeking an Alternative to Waves Vocal Rider Plugin

Post by mjwalker » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:52 pm

Hello! As the title suggests, I'm looking for an alternative to the Waves Vocal Rider plugin. It automatically adjusts the vocal volume fader in relation to the music, and apparently works very nicely. Unfortunately, the side-chaining feature of the Vocal Rider isn't supported by Ableton's side-chaining function, so it won't work properly.

Does anyone know a similar vocal plugin that would do the trick? I've also considered doing it manually, but I think that would take a very long time, and I'm not sure it would be as good of quality.

Thanks,

Michael

Tagor
Posts: 939
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:18 am

Re: Seeking an Alternative to Waves Vocal Rider Plugin

Post by Tagor » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:22 pm

waves don not support abletons concept of sidechaining - or was it the other way ?

maybe this ?
http://www.automaticmixing.com/

mjwalker
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:28 pm

Re: Seeking an Alternative to Waves Vocal Rider Plugin

Post by mjwalker » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:02 am

I believe it's something on Vocal Rider's end. I'm not really sure. I know it's compatible with Pro Tools, but not Ableton.

I checked out the link - thank you! It actually mentions that it's made for Pro Tools though. Do you know that it works for Ableton?

Also - Vocal Rider still functions on Ableton to adjust the levels of the vocal, but it doesn't adjust them relative to the music track, which is what I'm searching for. The "Wave Rider" doesn't appear to mention the feature. Is it buried in there somewhere?

Thank you,

Michael

lachrimae
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:33 am

Re: Seeking an Alternative to Waves Vocal Rider Plugin

Post by lachrimae » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:19 am

Although I haven't used them, here are a couple of others that I'm aware of:

http://www.meldaproduction.com/plugins/ ... AutoVolume

http://www.hornetplugins.com/plugins/ho ... ogain-pro/

Scrybz
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:17 am

Re: Seeking an Alternative to Waves Vocal Rider Plugin

Post by Scrybz » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:43 pm

If you're on a mac, you have to use the AU instead of the VST to get the music sidechaining to work.

cmprvndncr
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:44 pm

Re: Seeking an Alternative to Waves Vocal Rider Plugin

Post by cmprvndncr » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:18 am

I'm interested to know the difference between this type of plugin, and a compressor...

Essentially, this IS functioning as a form of compression, but I'm sure the results would be different.

alpertt
Posts: 236
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:34 am

Re: Seeking an Alternative to Waves Vocal Rider Plugin

Post by alpertt » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:53 am

cmprvndncr wrote:I'm interested to know the difference between this type of plugin, and a compressor...

Essentially, this IS functioning as a form of compression, but I'm sure the results would be different.
Unlike compressor it is like "your finger is always on volume fader".
I mostly use it when i watch horror movies rather than mixes.
(Though I can see it can be useful in some scenarios.)

More like a "slow compressor"..

cmprvndncr
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:44 pm

Re: Seeking an Alternative to Waves Vocal Rider Plugin

Post by cmprvndncr » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:08 am

alpertt wrote:
cmprvndncr wrote:I'm interested to know the difference between this type of plugin, and a compressor...

Essentially, this IS functioning as a form of compression, but I'm sure the results would be different.
Unlike compressor it is like "your finger is always on volume fader".
I mostly use it when i watch horror movies rather than mixes.
(Though I can see it can be useful in some scenarios.)

More like a "slow compressor"..
Cool. But how do you apply it to horror movies?

alpertt
Posts: 236
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:34 am

Re: Seeking an Alternative to Waves Vocal Rider Plugin

Post by alpertt » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:36 am

cmprvndncr wrote:Cool. But how do you apply it to horror movies?
To avoid screams :lol:

I mean while i am watching the video, didnt mean mixing a horror movie..

I send computer audio to Ableton (with loopback) so movie sound comes from an audio track with vocal rider inserted.
(Saves my ass from being kicked in 3:00 AM by neighbours.)

And a side bonus: when i hear something interesting to sample, everything is set already :mrgreen:

cmprvndncr
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:44 pm

Re: Seeking an Alternative to Waves Vocal Rider Plugin

Post by cmprvndncr » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:46 am

alpertt wrote:
cmprvndncr wrote:Cool. But how do you apply it to horror movies?
To avoid screams :lol:

I mean while i am watching the video, didnt mean mixing a horror movie..

I send computer audio to Ableton (with loopback) so movie sound comes from an audio track with vocal rider inserted.
(Saves my ass from being kicked in 3:00 AM by neighbours.)

And a side bonus: when i hear something interesting to sample, everything is set already :mrgreen:
That's so cool! Haha

Post Reply