IAC driver problems

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
deHaan

IAC driver problems

Post by deHaan » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:30 pm

Hi there,

I am using the IAC driver (Mac) for some dummy clips controlling devices, but I have some problems with the setup. Here's a description of my setup/problem:

- A MIDI track is sending MIDI CC 42 to IAC Driver channel 1
- The cutoff frequency of a filter on another track is mapped to CC 42, so the MIDI track controls it.

So far so good, here's the problem:

When I manually or with clip automation move the filter frequency, MIDI CC 42 is sent out, even though I'm dealing with an audio track that shouldn't send MIDI. This is fucking up my system, and I really don't understand why it is happening.

Here's a video of my problem: https://vimeo.com/112624879

Hope someone pleeease can help :)

Best regards,
Nikolaj
Check out my band Silent People's new single here:
http://silentpeople.dk

Pitch Black

Re: IAC driver problems

Post by Pitch Black » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:13 pm

Hi Nikolaj, I can re-create the behaviour when my MIDI prefs are set like this:

But the unexpected MIDI output goes away, and it behaves as expected when I set MIDI prefs like this:

Do you currently have Remote enabled in the Output for the IAC bus? Try switching it off. It's a very interesting behaviour you've discovered! I'm trying to work out why you would want a manual parameter change to send CCs over IAC... possibly to update a control surface or a parameter in another MIDI app? Interesting... but this seems to fix your issue as far as I can tell.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

Macrostructure

Post by Macrostructure » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:19 pm

You can use this to pipe streams of midi data out of then back into Live to automate controls. For example a midi clip can be built to send a sequence of 64/65/64/65 etc on ch7/cc50 say, and a dial in the gui set up to respond to this and expect increment/decrement data. Fire the clip, automate the control. My whole live set works this way. You can get some amazing modulation going. I originally explored this as a way of "having more hands" before Max came along. Now I still use it because it doesn't crash, but you can do similar stuff with Max. The other advantage of the old method is that the control isn't "taken over" by anything, which when you do it with Max, does happen, meaning to can't grab the control and tweak manually. So actually I prefer the old fashioned midi loop back approach.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:12 am

I understand using midi loop back, in fact I use it myself, however it does seem err... Interesting that moving the automated parameter itself would send a stream of CC's. I suppose it's more applicable for updating control surfaces etc, than when used internally with IAC.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud