A BCR2000 script which respects track banking?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Angstrom

A BCR2000 script which respects track banking?

Post by Angstrom » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:47 am

Hey,
I have this old BCR2000 here and Ableton only provide very basic features for it, it will control tracks 1-8, but there's seemingly no way to make it bank to 9-16 , 17-32, etc. Like the Novation's controllers do.

With Isotonik putting out that Novation_LaunchSync Max device which pairs controllers I thought it would be great if I could link up the Launchpad and the BCR. A clip launcher with lots of dials.

So, does anyone have a clue how to make a BCR follow paging / track banks, whatever they are called? Because I've never figured it out in all the years I've had this thing. The Ableton "user scripts" feature is pretty useless and seemingly abandoned, and so it looks like I'll have to program a python script and cram it in the program/resources folder to get it working. That seems wrong to me.

JoshG567

Re: A BCR2000 script which respects track banking?

Post by JoshG567 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:37 am

You could tweak the control scripts, perhaps. I've never really tried. I love my BCR and couldn't imagine using any other controller with Live, but there's lots of static mappings. That is, I haven't found a way to make it navigate tracks/devices and automap past the first 8 CCs, although I don't think it should be that hard to do the latter. If you could find the old Mackie Emulation stuff for the BCR you may be able to go that route, or use it as a basis for your own approach. I find my way requires a lot of critical thinking to get the right setup. I sincerely doubt one would have an easy time memorizing all the spatial indices of up to 4 banks of params for every Live device; it's a cognitive clusterfuck. The imagined functionality is great as long as similar params across devices share the same knob, but if the threshold for the gate is a different knob than it is for the compressor, it is a motherfucker to memorize it all, long term.

I literally have every global Live control mapped in my template set (and EVERY control of 1 instance of Operator). If you hit CTRL+M in an empty set, everything shaded blue is mapped. Even time sigs and record quantize, which I made M4L devices for. Those controls stay mapped on every preset and there's 2 rows of knobs that are "open" on each preset so those become specialized for little jobs... Velocity drive/random across 8 MIDI beat tracks for my LP on one preset, Max Polybeat probabilities and velocities on another, bass input compressor amp/cab chain selector, Operator Osc A, Operator Osc B, Operator Master, Operator Filter, etc. etc. Also, it's so fucking logical and user-friendly to use those top encoders that both turn and push for the clip editing controls: 4 of them to turn and scroll region/loop start/stop where pushing the same ones will set those points to the cursor. Set another one to turn to scroll scenes and fire the scene when you push it - all 1 control/gesture.

I realize I'm rambling, but I am the BCR+Live evangelist. I keep a spreadsheet to track the thousands of configured signals (not all of which have been assigned in Live) I can go on and on. Honestly think the MCU emu is the shortest route the where you want to go, if you can find the stuff. I think I've got a sysex if you can't find it, but I've never tried it.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:05 am

Hey Angstrom,

We may have a solution in the works for you ;-)

Cheers
D

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:03 pm

or theres this https://zaqaudio.com 8)

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:17 pm

S4racen wrote:Hey Angstrom,

We may have a solution in the works for you ;-)

Cheers
D
That sounds good, I guess it makes sense that you chaps would have a solution in the works. I know that the guys over at NativeKontrol (who are more Python based) had a product called "map ease" which appeared to have the required functionality, but it's fallen off their product line for technical reasons relating to changes in the API .

I look forward to seeing your solution, if you can make it work!
All the best

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:26 pm

Might be a couple of weeks but it's in the pipeline...

If you've seen this you can guess the rest...

http://isotonikstudios.com/launchcontrol-xl/

Cheers
D

JDFS

Post by JDFS » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:45 pm

Well, curious about the Isotonik scripts. Hope that, for the BCR 2000, the scripts will not be that DJ focussed. I too just want some track banking; the Mackie template was way too difficult to remember and having too many options crammed into one encoder.

bobavenger

Post by bobavenger » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:06 pm

Last edited by bobavenger on Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:21 pm

JDFS wrote:Well, curious about the Isotonik scripts. Hope that, for the BCR 2000, the scripts will not be that DJ focussed. I too just want some track banking; the Mackie template was way too difficult to remember and having too many options crammed into one encoder.
The developer working on it uses Live for production rather than DJing, that's my speciality...

Can you send me an email at isotonik@isotonikstudios.com just to clarify exactly what your looking for so we don't miss anything...

Cheers
D

D.Malcevic

Post by D.Malcevic » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:31 pm

S4racen wrote:Might be a couple of weeks but it's in the pipeline...

If you've seen this you can guess the rest...

http://isotonikstudios.com/launchcontrol-xl/

Cheers
D
Hi,

I'm looking for a M4L device that will allow me to control 128 parameters of currently selected device ( blue hand ) in Live.
I'm using APC40 for mixer, sends and clips and i would like to use my BCR2000 with 32 knobs and 4 banks for devices ( Native and VST).
I have your Modular S3ndS. It's a great device. Using it all the time. It would be great to have something similar for controlling devices.

Are you working on new script or M4L device?

Cheers
Darko M

sigabort

Post by sigabort » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:10 pm

Hi, it'll be a script, similar in operation to the current LaunchControl XXL script initially, but some more goodies will be on the way at a later date... As with other control surface devices, there will likely be a M4L component at some point offering additional functionality

You'll definitely be getting your 32 knobs/128 parameters/blue hand combo tho :)

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:27 pm

Heh, I'm really old fashioned. I use the bottom row of dials as volume, the next row up as reverb sends, the next one up as delay sends, I have one row of buttons as arms, the other row changes depending on situation - often its mapped to "focus track", the top row of dials are merely used for macros, for the focused track.

I can never understand how anyone uses all the deep parameter linking on all the many and varied parameters, as its just impossible to remember what each link is to, and the bcr has no display.

bobavenger

Post by bobavenger » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:07 pm

Angstrom wrote:Heh, I'm really old fashioned. I use the bottom row of dials as volume, the next row up as reverb sends, the next one up as delay sends, I have one row of buttons as arms, the other row changes depending on situation - often its mapped to "focus track", the top row of dials are merely used for macros, for the focused track.
I cut my script to make a simple one, that works as you says https://app.box.com/s/ubnm26gqtjmf7i5weu1k
with CC number:
volume 1 to 8
sends A 9-16
sends B 17-24
devices 25-32

buttons arms 33-40
mutes 41-48
select 49-56

tracks bank left/right 116-117
devicebank prev/next 118-119

there is the session link in it (so it'll be linked with the other controller you have(if they have a session component))

you can edit all the CC number in the bcrCLA.py file with Notepad++ (quick & smart install)

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:16 pm

thanks I had a tinker about with that, and although the device is now recognised as a controller it doesn't seem to respect bank movement.

I'll have a bit more of a play around with that in a few hours when I have more time.

Thanks anyway!

d.coder

Post by d.coder » Tue May 12, 2015 7:31 pm

bobavenger wrote: I cut my script to make a simple one, that works as you says https://app.box.com/s/ubnm26gqtjmf7i5weu1k
with CC number:
volume 1 to 8
sends A 9-16
sends B 17-24
devices 25-32

buttons arms 33-40
mutes 41-48
select 49-56

tracks bank left/right 116-117
devicebank prev/next 118-119

there is the session link in it (so it'll be linked with the other controller you have(if they have a session component))

you can edit all the CC number in the bcrCLA.py file with Notepad++ (quick & smart install)
I like to thank you, bobavenger! That's a neat little script that does a great job on a BCR.

Is it possible that the 'sends B' encoder row also controls the parameter of the selected device, instead of the send B's, so that 16 parameter are controllable at the same time? If yes, what do I have to change in the script?

Thank's again for your script.