What's the best way to synthesize a choir sound?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Rhypht

What's the best way to synthesize a choir sound?

Post by Rhypht » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:54 pm

Specifically, your typical choir ooh and choir aah. There has to be a relatively simple way to synthesize them, as they appear in even the cheesiest of MIDI sounds.

I'm wondering what there base waves are, as I'd like to create some heavily modified choir-based synth sounds, but I need to know their base first. :)

I'm running Live 9 suite, so I have all instruments available in that, but I also own Komplete 9 and Serum as far as synths go.

yur2die4

Re: What's the best way to synthesize a choir sound?

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:56 pm

Formant filters are an easy way. I'm see there are other ways even without one, I'd certainly like to know :D otherwise, samplers are probably kinda popular too. A nice cheesy digital choir sample.

Rhypht

Post by Rhypht » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:59 pm

I forgot to mention in my OP, but I want to stay away from samples. I actually want to create it wholly in FM8 or Serum or something.

Formant filters will help with the vowel changes, but I doubt the earliest examples of that MIDI sound had formant filters? I might be wrong.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:01 pm

Have you looked on YouTube? I think there is also like, a bandpass filter modulating over a lowpass method. I forget. YouTube and presets are probably the next best ways to explore these options. Even Operator might have a few.

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:48 pm

Yep, formants and bandpass filtering.

All kinds of examples on youtube.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:50 pm

I think you can even add an EQ after and simply morph it between different vocal sounds. But the layering of oscillators, I'm not the most skilled at choosing those.

wayfinder

Post by wayfinder » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:16 pm

If you don't have access to formant filters, find a formant frequency table and filter something square-ish accordingly, then add noise processed with a resonant bandpass for "breathiness" as desired

Rhypht

Post by Rhypht » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:56 pm

wayfinder wrote:If you don't have access to formant filters, find a formant frequency table and filter something square-ish accordingly, then add noise processed with a resonant bandpass for "breathiness" as desired
Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!