Dropouts with MOTU interface

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Division Monarchy

Dropouts with MOTU interface

Post by Division Monarchy » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:01 am

Hello. I'm wondering if anyone else out there is having the same issue as me using a MOTU Ultralite mk3 with Ableton. I'm getting dropouts/random noise at various intervals that last for a split second but very noticeable. My CPU usage is at about 8 percent & I don't see the CPU usage spiking. The only audio that is coming out of Live is from my guitar running thru a light preset & about 4 drum hits with the Ableton Drum Rack. My synths & microphone are going exclusively thru the Ultralite using its stand-alone mixer.

Any similar issues?

I usually had good experiences with MOTU. Have they gone downhill in recent years with their quality?

chapelier fou

Re: Dropouts with MOTU interface

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:09 am

Something like this ? viewtopic.php?f=1&t=205565
10.9 ?
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:32 pm

I took a long look at this interface after I burned up my Focusrite. But after reading scores of reviews complaining about the problems you're describing, I walked away.

Are you using a PC? USB or FireWire?

From what I read, if you're using a Windows-based system, you will have better luck using the FireWire connection.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

Division Monarchy

Post by Division Monarchy » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:52 pm

I've been using the USB on my Mac. Maybe I should try with the Firewire, but I always thought these were supposed to work really stable with Macs regardless.

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:08 pm

Division Monarchy wrote:I've been using the USB on my Mac. Maybe I should try with the Firewire, but I always thought these were supposed to work really stable with Macs regardless.
Yeah, I heard the same thing with Macs... sorry.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:59 am

i rarely have issues with my ultralite. i use firewire....its been pretty solid. i did have a noise issue a while back. i was plugging the interface in with a power supply. it made everything real noisy. i now just bus power it. took care of the issue.
also, have you tried adjusting your "buffer size"?
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

Division Monarchy

Post by Division Monarchy » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:50 am

I have now tried everything I could with it, with Firewire, USB, buffer sizes. And it is not something I would even consider for my stage setup. It makes audio noise on its own, which is separate from my CPU spikes. After 12 years of using MOTU & recommending them countless times, they have lost a customer. I just ordered a Focusrite & will see how that works out.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:27 am

Division Monarchy wrote:I have now tried everything I could with it, with Firewire, USB, buffer sizes. And it is not something I would even consider for my stage setup. It makes audio noise on its own, which is separate from my CPU spikes. After 12 years of using MOTU & recommending them countless times, they have lost a customer. I just ordered a Focusrite & will see how that works out.
it sounds like it has an internal fault then. that could happen with any brand though.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:28 pm

Did you check my topic ? Are you on OS 10.9 ?
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:37 pm

Yep, I also experience these unfortunately. They are completely random and quite occasional. I'm not doing live shows so I can live with that. But...
Of course they appear with Mavericks. I was on (snow)leopard for years, but I did test Mavericks which runs as good as SL and which brings some confortable OS shit, so I sticked with it. And the only problem I have are these occasional and short dropouts.
But, strangely I ONLY experience these dropouts with Live...
So, Live doesn't like motu soundcards since mavericks ?