Push's touchstrip as a Modwheel, finally !

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends

Re: Push's touchstrip as a Modwheel, finally !

Post by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:07 pm

Last edited by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends on Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:53 pm

Very soon. I just need to check 1 or 2 details.

Patrick DSP

Post by Patrick DSP » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:13 pm

Already done. ;) and for free. So i don't think finally is the right word but i do look forward to seeing how you add on or improve on Florian's scripts. http://florianzand.de/push/

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... rd-control

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:28 pm

Will try this Patrick.
I don't use Florian script. It's a little bit of a mess, and its touchstrip (especially) implementation doesn't work as it should. It doesn't grab/release properly.
Florian's work is very good when you need to understand how to program Push with M4L in the first place. But it's too much cluttered and has wrongly implemented things IMHO for patching.

(I've just tested your patch, and, as you're using Florian development kit, the touchstrip is not well managed. Have you tried to have more than one of your device in a set? Or more than one track ?)

sinextesia

Post by sinextesia » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:48 pm

Really interested in this! When is the release date?

Thanks in advance!

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:30 pm

Valiumdupeuple wrote:Will try this Patrick.
I don't use Florian script. It's a little bit of a mess, and its touchstrip (especially) implementation doesn't work as it should. It doesn't grab/release properly.
Florian's work is very good when you need to understand how to program Push with M4L in the first place. But it's too much cluttered and has wrongly implemented things IMHO for patching.

(I've just tested your patch, and, as you're using Florian development kit, the touchstrip is not well managed. Have you tried to have more than one of your device in a set? Or more than one track ?)
Patrick DSP wrote:Already done. ;) and for free. So i don't think finally is the right word but i do look forward to seeing how you add on or improve on Florian's scripts. http://florianzand.de/push/

Appreciate the patch patrick but I get issue with it failing to grab the touchstrip when loaded in a default set or as a default midi track under 9.1.6.Even had the odd 'serious error' crash too which seems to happen when keyboard control and gridlock patches are loaded in the same set. Will have another look at the florian dev kit but thought this was surpassed on release of push code from Mark Egloff here:

https://cycling74.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... g_Oct13_01

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:53 pm

I'm not joking when I say that, for the moment, I haven't came across a M4L device that correctly grabs and release the touchstrip. Just because it doesn't really work like other components, and no one gives the solution on the internet (and nobody uses M4L in the real world :-) ).
I've spent a lot of time scratching my head around this simple shit.
It'll be available during the next week I guess. I just need to check 1 or 2 details first, but I'm busy till the end of the week, so...

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:08 am

modulation is spelled incorrectly
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel

ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends

Post by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:11 am

Last edited by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends on Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:33 pm

irrelevance wrote:
Valiumdupeuple wrote:Will try this Patrick.

Patrick DSP wrote:Already done. ;) and for free. So i don't think finally is the right word but i do look forward to seeing how you add on or improve on Florian's scripts. http://florianzand.de/push/

Appreciate the patch patrick but I get issue with it failing to grab the touchstrip when loaded in a default set or as a default midi track under 9.1.6.Even had the odd 'serious error' crash too which seems to happen when keyboard control and gridlock patches are loaded in the same set. Will have another look at the florian dev kit but thought this was surpassed on release of push code from Mark Egloff here:

https://cycling74.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... g_Oct13_01
Same. Really like this device Patrick, but it tends to crash Live if I load a rack with this in it, regardless if the touchstrip was pre-mapped to modwheel or not. One could load it separately from the rack I suppose. I'm just scared that eventually down the road a track I've worked on cannot open due to this device being saved in it. For now I use Keyboard Control 1. No touchstrip>modhweel - it's controlled via an encoder, but zero crashes.
Valiumdupeuple wrote:I'm not joking when I say that, for the moment, I haven't came across a M4L device that correctly grabs and release the touchstrip.
Keyboard Control 2 works just like a modwheel when mapped to it and the type dial set to "Fader". It doesn't and shouldn't spring back to zero when released, like most modwheels. Works perfectly actually, it's just the random crashes...

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:07 am

tedlogan wrote:
Same. Really like this device Patrick, but it tends to crash Live if I load a rack with this in it, regardless if the touchstrip was pre-mapped to modwheel or not. One could load it separately from the rack I suppose. I'm just scared that eventually down the road a track I've worked on cannot open due to this device being saved in it. For now I use Keyboard Control 1. No touchstrip>modhweel - it's controlled via an encoder, but zero crashes.
Valiumdupeuple wrote:I'm not joking when I say that, for the moment, I haven't came across a M4L device that correctly grabs and release the touchstrip.
Keyboard Control 2 works just like a modwheel when mapped to it and the type dial set to "Fader". It doesn't and shouldn't spring back to zero when released, like most modwheels. Works perfectly actually, it's just the random crashes...

What tripped me up with thinking Keyboard control 2 was working was it seemed to load okay between sets i.e. Live is already open, and problems only became apparent when live was opened for the first time. Hadn't looked at the earlier release due to the undo history thing.

So looking into the Mark Egloff push objects I didn't find anything specific to the touchstrip (doesn't mean it isn't there) but it occured to me that while grabbing the touchstrip is the ideal maybe a simple number conversion to midi would suffice. Would mean not paying attention to the LEDs however.

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:22 am

irrelevance wrote:
tedlogan wrote:

What tripped me up with thinking Keyboard control 2 was working was it seemed to load okay between sets i.e. Live is already open, and problems only became apparent when live was opened for the first time. Hadn't looked at the earlier release due to the undo history thing.

So looking into the Mark Egloff push objects I didn't find anything specific to the touchstrip (doesn't mean it isn't there) but it occured to me that while grabbing the touchstrip is the ideal maybe a simple number conversion to midi would suffice. Would mean not paying attention to the LEDs however.
No, a simple conversion is not enough, as the touchstrip would still reacts like a pitch bend (returning back to the middle value). I haven't found any help in Mark's patches. Anyway, sorry for the delay; the device perfectly works and should be available in the next few days.

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:56 am

8)