[Go to page: 1,...11,12,13]

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aizo

Re: thoughts on electronic drum sets?

Post by aizo » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:14 pm

Currently, I'm fucking around with these 2 set ups:

1.) Roland SPD-SX w/ 2x PD-8s(one as a snare and one as a hihat), a BT-1(for changing scenes in Live), and a KD-9(obviously as a kick trigger). It's connected to Live through USB. Depending on the project it controls drum rack, EZ drummer, and or Addictive Drums

2.) All of the above connected to my Korg EMX-1. This is pretty fun, but limited. The EMX doesn't have that great of sample selection but for distorted sounds it's pretty cool. I want to make an all hardware set up where the SPD starts the EMX's sequences, the SPD plays the drum parts live (coming out of the EMX, and the EMX has a midi out to my JP-8000 for some pas lines or pads. I'm still working on it...

Relating to this thread, Roland and Live work really well together. Depending on what you want to do musically and how much space you have. If money is no option get one of the huge Roland kits. But even the cheaper ones are pretty fucking dope. Personally, the sounds on them don't do it for me. I'd rather use Live, or a VST and have it control them. Also I like a lot of experimental and distorted sounds so I better of using drum racks.

If I could do it again, I would have gotten the Octapad instead of the SPD because it has a hihat controller, which the SPD doesn't. Also I always use the SPD as a controller as the sample loading hardware is annoying to work with. I have to convert all of the files to wav.

Since I live in an apartment, even the rubber pads are pretty loud. Impossible to play at night. I bought mesh heads for my real snare and kick. I'm just waiting for a good deal on triggers before I change the set up. Also I want to change the PD-8 I use for a hihat to a CY-5. It has better cymbal feel an it's much quieter.
ImageImage

Dillinger63

Post by Dillinger63 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:54 pm

Another vote for Roland. I recently bought the Roland HD3 as a practice kit for home and the build quality is very good for an entry level kit. I almost went with the TD4-KP, but didn't want the rubber stoppers I call them for pads. What I really like about the Roland over the Yamaha is the sounds just seem a bit fatter to me. Now that being said I also have a Yamaha DTX Multi 12 so I have some different drum sounds. Lastly, you can USB/midi some really cool iPad drum Apps if you have an iPad.

ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends

Post by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:25 pm

Last edited by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends on Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

aizo

Post by aizo » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:39 pm

I usually have the latency down to 256. Don't even notice. But when I play, it's with all flattened tracks, so that's something to think about.
ImageImage

ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends

Post by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:11 pm