Editing (Cutting) MIDI file

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jcshirke

Editing (Cutting) MIDI file

Post by jcshirke » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:34 am

Ok...I've solved my last problem. Now I've got another one, I'm afraid.

I need to edit the MIDI file I imported. Specifically, I need to cut out a bit of silence at the beginning and end of the loop I imported. If I do the edit seamlessly, the loop will then play as one continuous whole, cycling again and again until I tell it to stop.

I've been tinkering with the various editing tools, but I haven't yet figured out how to pull this off. I'm going to dive into the manual now, but I thought I'd ask on the board also.

Thanks in advance for any help!

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:56 am

well, you can select the part you want to keep and press Ctrl-E (Split) then delete the chunks you dont want. Or adjust the start/end points in the clip.

Oh yeah, and RTFM :P

-tim

conny

Post by conny » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:27 am

timothyallan wrote:well, you can select the part you want to keep and press Ctrl-E (Split) then delete the chunks you dont want.
And that's in arrangement; expand the track with the clip, select portion and split.
BTW: I would be handy to be able to do splits in session view (and a trim must be very very easy to implement, just a little timesaver.)
A split in session view should place the new remains in empty slots in the session track IMHO.
For me, the session slots are like a library at times, so after a split in arrangement I often drag copies back to session. That's a little tedious.

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/