Laptop Recommendation

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Airbase

Laptop Recommendation

Post by Airbase » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:59 pm

Not only am I crossing over to Ableton for producing music, I also feel very inspired to do gigs using it. Now, I read here and there people are having misc problems with different computers, so I thought I'd ask what your recommendations are?

First off, PC or MAC? I use both in work and private, so no one is more preferred than the other one here. I had an Acer Ferrari once, but I thought it was a tad to big to feel portable. I'm eyeballing some 12,1" laptops, but I'm afraid the resolution on those are too small to be able to work in a DJ-booth comforable. I also want something really really stable, as close to crash proof as possible (Mac? :)). To be able to use it for other things, I'd like WLAN and Bluetooth in it as well. Thats all I demand, the rest doesnt matter. The more benificial it is for using Live, the better, thats all.

Oh, btw, I hate Dell.

So, hit me!

robin

Re: Laptop Recommendation

Post by robin » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:06 pm

Airbase wrote: I'm eyeballing some 12,1" laptops, but I'm afraid the resolution on those are too small to be able to work in a DJ-booth comforable.

So, hit me!
i find 1024x768 on a 12" laptop to be ok. this size is also very nice in dj booths due to the usual lack of space in most clubs.

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:44 pm

I am in the market for a laptop, myself... although I want a large, desktop replacement box.

I did my research on Apple & PC, and have decided to go PC.

In my view, Apple has fallen behind the PC market with the laptops.

PC laptops now offer 64-bit Desktop processors from Intel & AMD, RAID harddrives @ 7200 rpm, 256 meg graphics, & up to 4 GB RAM. All of this can be had for less money than a PowerBook G4 17" with 2 GB RAM and only one harddrive. For me, this makes the PC more attractive.

Oh.... and for me.... Windows XP is crashproof. I've been using it since the first week it came out, and never had a problem. Maybe I'm lucky?

inis

Post by inis » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:53 pm

subterFUSE wrote:I am in the market for a laptop, myself... although I want a large, desktop replacement box.

I did my research on Apple & PC, and have decided to go PC.

In my view, Apple has fallen behind the PC market with the laptops.

PC laptops now offer 64-bit Desktop processors from Intel & AMD, RAID harddrives @ 7200 rpm, 256 meg graphics, & up to 4 GB RAM. All of this can be had for less money than a PowerBook G4 17" with 2 GB RAM and only one harddrive. For me, this makes the PC more attractive.

Oh.... and for me.... Windows XP is crashproof. I've been using it since the first week it came out, and never had a problem. Maybe I'm lucky?
extremely lucky, lol.

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:01 pm

I'm on a Dell laptop with Win XP. The only time it ever crashes is if I try to close Live without turning Reaktor off first. Besides that, it runs like a champ. 8)

Dells are Ok. Just don't expect a case that is as good or better than other brands. And don't finance it through Dell.

smutek

Post by smutek » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:03 pm

I suggest a powerbook.

8)

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:18 pm

A power book with an Intel processor sounds more like it. :twisted:

Apple build quality and OSX powered by Intel. Sounds like something to get more excited for than a flux capacitor Just hope the price does not go any higher than it already is.

futureproof

Post by futureproof » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:38 pm

subterFUSE wrote:
XP has been extremely stable for me as well. I do get the occasional bluescreen BUT its always when Im playing some game that my graphics card just cant handle. Thats the only time.
"THE biggest differences between Live 3 & 4 are the things that Live 4 have that are missing in Live 3"

-some dude on KVR.

robin

Post by robin » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:08 am

suburbanbather wrote:A power book with an Intel processor sounds more like it. :twisted:

Apple build quality and OSX powered by Intel. Sounds like something to get more excited for than a flux capacitor Just hope the price does not go any higher than it already is.
personally i think powerbooks are cheap for what you get.

well the 12" is anyway....seriously spec up a 12" pc laptop and i bet it comes out at more than a 12" powerbook.

the 15 and up might not work that way tho.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:39 am

It all depends on what you plan to use it for.

I can play 12 audio tracks with a few FX without a glitch from my ancient G4 400 Powerbook. If I want to use synths/FX, I use my desktop machine, render it, and stick it on the Powerbook for live/Live use.

If you want to use it to run the latest megasynth live, however, probably a PC is your best bang for the buck.

The Mysterious Flying Pum

Good native audio support with Apple

Post by The Mysterious Flying Pum » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:05 am

The good thing with Apple laptops is that you have natively a very good audio card with very low latency and good output. You don't need to spend 200-300$ in an external soundcard. This has to be balanced when comparing prices.
13" MacBook - 1Gb RAM/OSX10.4 - Live 6

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:56 pm

robin wrote:

well the 12" is anyway....seriously spec up a 12" pc laptop and i bet it comes out at more than a 12" powerbook.

12" is just a little too small for me. It still is enough screen space to work with but 15" and up is so much better on the eyes.

robin

Post by robin » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:02 pm

suburbanbather wrote:
robin wrote:

12" is just a little too small for me. It still is enough screen space to work with but 15" and up is so much better on the eyes.
yeah fair enough, it's a personal choice that really.

at the moment i'm thinking of buing an external screen to go with the laptop but i just find i don't need it.

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:15 pm

Ah yes, G.A.S.! An enemy of progress, a wallet mollester, and a sinisterly fun disease all rolled into one. Every musician/hobbiest suffers from it from time to time.

robin

Post by robin » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:42 pm

suburbanbather wrote:Ah yes, G.A.S.! An enemy of progress, a wallet mollester, and a sinisterly fun disease all rolled into one. Every musician/hobbiest suffers from it from time to time.
:) G.A.S?