Device to automatically slice and pitch a sample?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Rhypht

Device to automatically slice and pitch a sample?

Post by Rhypht » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:36 pm

I thought there was a way (in Live, or with an M4L device) to import a pitched sample, and then slice it to a number of midi notes (determined by you) while pitching it and keeping it's speed, automatically.

I must admit that Sampler is still relatively new to me, and I'm by no means a master at it yet. So maybe this is something Sampler can do pretty easily.

Basically I have tonal samples that I want to turn into instruments. I don't like just throwing them into a Sampler unwarped because it causes the sample to speed up or slow down in order to pitch it. I'm trying to pitch while retaining playback tempo. I know it's possible to manually do it with warping, and to just make a new sample for every third or every other key to keep the tempo intact, but I seem to remember watching someone do this automatically without having to spend all of that time on it.

Garry Knight

Re: Device to automatically slice and pitch a sample?

Post by Garry Knight » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:59 pm

Drag the sample onto an audio track then right-click the title bar of the clip and you'll see the following options:

Slice to New MIDI Track
Convert Harmony to New MIDI Track
Convert Melody to New MIDI Track
Convert Drums to New MIDI Track

Is this what you're looking for?
Garry Knight

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:14 pm

Just keep in mind there are a number of options available for I believe the Slice to New MIDI Track, so make sure you've selected the correct slicing option.

Steve Glen

Post by Steve Glen » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:13 pm

Rhypht, I think that the terminology is getting things a little confused. "Slice" , in live, refers to process where an audio file is represented by a new midi file. It sounds lioe what you want is for a sampling process where the resulting instrument adjusts the pitch (keytracked) but doesn't change the playback sample speed. Yeh?

I think sampler (with one reference sample) does adjust the playback speed and i think simpler does too. I dont know of a device that performs this automatically so I'd probably warp copies of the original file (with warp mode suited and tweaked for every new note) then written to a new file. Change the clip name to reference the sound and pitch before writing to a new file. Then import to sampler (all at once i think) and make sure the target notes match up the incoming notes by pulling up the 'Zone' layout. Makes sense?

Sound like work? This is why (plus other reasons) I use soft synths instead of samples.

Question? Can wavetable synths be configured to capture long(er) style waveforms? The type that a person might want to copy like in the above example?

What Harmr? Are these synths good for that? Or are there better sampling synths? Probably, right?