Issue warping a reggae track

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Kano

Issue warping a reggae track

Post by Kano » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:55 pm

Hi guys, wondering if you can help me.

Trying to warp Bob Marley's 400 years... It's the version on Catch A Fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4U22gowtf0

Just having no luck with it.

It's reverting to 120bpm right off.

Can anyone help with this? I'm normally warping 4x4 dance tracks and no idea where I'm going with this one?
Music

memes_33

Re: Issue warping a reggae track

Post by memes_33 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:26 pm

try to find the first kickdrum that starts on a downbeat, then right click to "set as start point" or something (sorry, at work so don't have live available to see actual command text). that will start that kickdrum at "0". find the next one on the downbeat, then move it so that falls on "1" measure mark. then, right click, and select "warp from here". check it against a 4x4 beat to see if it found them all (sometimes it doesn't).
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:03 am

Did his advice help or do you want me to do it for you?

Garry Knight

Post by Garry Knight » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:48 am

Is your global BPM set to 120? I've had this happen and got round it this way. In Preferences, turn off warp long samples on import (called something like that, not at my PC). Drag the sample onto an empty track, look at the Clip details, see what BPM Live thinks the sample is at. Set that as global. Now click the Warp label in the Clip details. Worked with my 4-minute sample. Worth a try with yours?
Garry Knight

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:57 am

Kano wrote: It's reverting to 120bpm right off.
I'm not familiar with this Marley track, but If you want to nail an old recording they are never straight in tempo. Search the forums for warp and variable tempo. While that may be unrelated to the particular issue you're having now it's bound to turn up at some point in the song.
Make some music!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:04 am

You don't always have to use the downbeat as your reference point.

Sometimes you can use the snares. And don't expect it to be too accurate. It'll be accurate enough.

You can either use the snares as 1 and 3 and then nudge it back a quarter note when you're done, or just warp it so your markers are all on the 2's and 4's hitting the snare.

To do the warping you'll probablh have to do it by hand. Just do rough warpings of like 4, 8 or 16 bars. Count it out and add the markers at the appropriate spots. It might drift a lot between markers but you'll know that Live now knows where each Phrase is.

Then go back and add a couple markers here and there to the 'furthest drifted spot's of those sections. That is where you'll most likely line things back up. It is often that fills will fuck up all of the tempo so you might have to fix it on 7 out of an 8 bar section. Things like that.

This attempt of yours will teach you how to warp and everything about warping. You might never trust 'only one marker' again :P

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:50 am

yur2die4 wrote:You don't always have to use the downbeat as your reference point.

Sometimes you can use the snares. And don't expect it to be too accurate. It'll be accurate enough.

You can either use the snares as 1 and 3 and then nudge it back a quarter note when you're done, or just warp it so your markers are all on the 2's and 4's hitting the snare.

To do the warping you'll probablh have to do it by hand. Just do rough warpings of like 4, 8 or 16 bars. Count it out and add the markers at the appropriate spots. It might drift a lot between markers but you'll know that Live now knows where each Phrase is.

Then go back and add a couple markers here and there to the 'furthest drifted spot's of those sections. That is where you'll most likely line things back up. It is often that fills will fuck up all of the tempo so you might have to fix it on 7 out of an 8 bar section. Things like that.

This attempt of yours will teach you how to warp and everything about warping. You might never trust 'only one marker' again :P
While I haven't tried it very much I like the variable tempo solution better.
Make some music!