Arp Odyssey

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Angstrom

Re: Arp Odyssey

Post by Angstrom » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:31 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
BoddAH wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:
My bet?! They are exactly the same plant. That's how the design specs got into Behringers hands ;-)
The important part are the specifications though. Sure everything is made in China nowadays but the engineering part and exact specifications are made in Europe or America. If Behringer has a shitty team of engineers and skimps on the specifications the same plant in China may manufacture a very different synth. :lol:
Well my assumption was that this is what got leaked to Behringer by someone at this Chinese plant.

So they may well skimp on implementing some of the specs (for cost cutting reasons - this is Behringer after all :lol: ), but not because they didn't know them.

This is admitetly all a conspiracy theory. A pretty plausible one though...
It's important to keep an eye on who Behringer are now, rather than who they were 10 years ago.

On the subject of Behringer making "an" analog polysynth Uli Behringer has said
It's going to be developed in the UK
For a project of this magnitude, we are integrating our best developers. We will make it in England, in Manchester, directly at MIDAS. A member of the team John Price is the among the best analog designers in the world and can have over 40 years experience.
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2014/11/ ... i-says-so/

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:17 am

So, all three designs are available. Which one do you like the most and why?

I like the rev 3 version the most, since it looks best to me and the color somehow matches the aggressive sound character. Also it won't look dirty easily like the REV 1 - white version.

But the REV 1 is going to be a fresh addition to my studio, which mostly dominated with black color gears. I love how the colorful sliders combined with the white color. If I'm not gigging, maybe I'll choose it.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:02 pm

The rev3 reminds me of our ARP Axxe which barely ever worked, We also used to have an ARP Avatar with the hexaphonic pickup, and the same fascia colours . At the time I was too high to realise how rare they were/are. It made a sound like Brian Eno playing guitar. Pretty good. Sliders were crunchy as hell so you never moved them once you got it working.

The Axxe may still be in storage, the Avatar left town a long time back. Like, 1993.

So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Gimme five bees for a quarter," you'd say.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:07 pm

Angstrom wrote: So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Gimme five bees for a quarter," you'd say.
:lol:

Only slightly exagerated, I take it?! :mrgreen:

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:37 pm

Angstrom wrote:So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Gimme five bees for a quarter," you'd say.
Those were the times. But you can’t stop progress. I can already picture the reactions of some members on this forum once Ableton goes the collaborative online route:

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:45 pm

An original guy of the Odyssey worked on the new Korg one. I'm not interested though unless they make a desktop version.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:30 am

I think it looks nice. There's a whole world of ergonomics and built in limitations that for some people expands rather than hinders creativity.
I'm not going to make any value judgments about the reasons people like this.

I do know that if I was playing in a rack band in dingy little clubs and wanted to add synth sounds to my set up occasionally, I would think of this before a laptop and audio card and controller keyboard etc.

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:04 am

Going to look great with the MS20m + SQ1/Beatstep Pro on top. Easy mobility too, considered such a power and flexibility. Made me feel like a 90's rock star, instead of just a laptop with a bunch of controllers :) If I ever own the original one day, will keep both in the studio and using the smaller version for gig.

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:24 pm

and TheWarp is coming..
Last edited by crystalmsc on Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:11 pm

crystalmsc wrote:
and TheWarp is coming..
Wouldn't $3600 buy a more thrilling selection of Eurorack modules though?
I mean, a Koma Komplex($1500) and a Doepfer System 1 ($2000) , just as an example. Or some other more freaky boutique modules from elsewhere.

I know what I'd choose for that money!

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:00 pm

Angstrom wrote:
crystalmsc wrote: Image
Wouldn't $3600 buy a more thrilling selection of Eurorack modules though?
Dude!!! 8O
How can you even think such a question?
Didn't you see the flag?! :x

mmorgan

Post by mmorgan » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:49 pm

I had an original ARP Odyssey, I loved that thing. Divorce required divestiture. :x Sure wish I still had it, lot's of fun.
Michael Morgan | pearl hour project
Intel i7-2600 @3.4GHz; 16G Ram; Win 10-64; Live 9.5
RME-Fireface UFX; Machine II; APC40; MPK25;
Guitars and Amps