Monitors...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dark soul

Monitors...

Post by dark soul » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:39 am

Hi guys,

recently I moved my room and due to that I am now forced to place my speakers in a corner (I know that isn't good, but can't change it).
The next thing is that in my old room my monitos were placed in the center of the room with lots of space behind them. But they were placed a little bit too high.
In the old room I often had the problem that I could really feel my bass and so I had problem during mastering...
Now that they are in the corner of course I feel it a lot more due to the near wall, but I also have the feeling that because they are placed towards my chest and not my ears I feel the bass more...
Is it good that I "feel" the bass more when my monitos are placed towards my chest? Or do they absolutely have to be placed towards the ears and is it a bad thing when I'm able to "feel" the bass?

Right now the high frequencies reach my ear directly, the woofer is pointed at my chest/neck.

JoshG567

Re: Monitors...

Post by JoshG567 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:19 pm

Ideally they'll be at ear level when in your listening position. Moreover, they'll be pointed straight at you, not angled up or down (in case you were wondering about that).

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:34 pm

Feeling the bass has nothing to do with where the woofers are pointed, and is likely more due to the fact that you have a lot more bass reflections bouncing off the corners now that you've moved the monitors. Some good bass traps would be ideal in your corners, and I said good - not the foam crap many pass off as bass traps.

Whether it's beneficial - it's probably not as it's muddying up your overall audio frequencies in your room, but if it helps your mixes translate (and since the bass is oftentimes the most difficult to get to translate) then I guess it's beneficial. (likely at the expense of other items in your mix)

dark soul

Post by dark soul » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:11 pm

JoshG567 wrote: Moreover, they'll be pointed straight at you, not angled up or down (in case you were wondering about that).
Exactly what I meant. Thanks man:)

dark soul

Post by dark soul » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:22 pm

1. What precisely is the difficulty when I have reflections and a enhanced bass due to my walls?
How do I deal with that ?
Lower the LF and countercheck on another system during mastering?

2. Why is mastering with headphones (for example Dt-990 pro) not recommended?