To Upgrade or to wait?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
gurumonkey
Posts: 355
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:28 am
Location: Cleveland, Oh

To Upgrade or to wait?

Post by gurumonkey » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:26 pm

Hey everyone. It's been some time since I've posted on the forum, though I check it regularly still. I have LIVE 8 Suite and have sunk a lot of money into Live over the years. I intend to stick with it, but I'm struggling to know how to proceed from here. It's already been quite some time since 9 first arrived on the scene. I didn't have the machine to bother using it at the time so I didn't upgrade. Now, however, I do have a fantastic Mac Pro, a little home studio to mess around, and the time to do it. But money is another question. I'm quite content to use 8 for now, but I'd like to upgrade OSX to the new version to use some of the features with my phone, ect. Problem is that 8 isn't supported on the new OSX. I don't really want to spend the money on 9 suite, I'd rather wait for 10. Usually when it's first announced they do a "buy 9 now and get 10 free when it's released" type thing, but right now there is no sign of 10. How long do you think it'll take to get 10 out? I hate the idea of upgrading to suite for like $240 and then having to do it again in another year.

On a side note, what do you 9 users think of the new compressor? I'm considering U-he's Presswerks while it is cheaper, but if the comp in 9 is solid then maybe I won't bother.

Happy to New Year to all!

garyboozy
Posts: 2635
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: To Upgrade or to wait?

Post by garyboozy » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:03 pm

Ableton aren't exhibiting at NAMM next month so my guess is Live 10 (or whatever they'll call it) is still a long way off. But that's a guess based on no info whatsoever :)

gurumonkey
Posts: 355
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:28 am
Location: Cleveland, Oh

Re: To Upgrade or to wait?

Post by gurumonkey » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:14 pm

ugh. Do they always show at NAMM when they release?

gurumonkey
Posts: 355
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:28 am
Location: Cleveland, Oh

Re: To Upgrade or to wait?

Post by gurumonkey » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:22 pm

oh snap! I found an article that says other people have been able to use 8 on Yosemite with no problems. I suppose it it dies in the future I can wait for the upgrade and maybe buy Reaper in the meantime.

polyslax
Posts: 2402
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:22 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: To Upgrade or to wait?

Post by polyslax » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:01 am

gurumonkey wrote:oh snap! I found an article that says other people have been able to use 8 on Yosemite with no problems.
Doing that here, in fact. No issues over the last couple of months. Using AUs, VSTs, hardware, FW to Thunderbolt interface (A&H Zed R16). This is 8 standard, not suite, so no M4L.
Image Image

gurumonkey
Posts: 355
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:28 am
Location: Cleveland, Oh

Re: To Upgrade or to wait?

Post by gurumonkey » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:02 am

I did it and all seems well. 8 suite didn't include max for live, that was extra. it wasn't until 9 that it came with it.

login
Posts: 1822
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:41 am

Re: To Upgrade or to wait?

Post by login » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:24 am

8 to 9 took 4 years, I would expect the same for 10. 2015 would be middle of the road, if you can stick to 8 two years more, no reason to rush.

The real problem is Apple and their upgrades, one may mess up with Live 8.

Post Reply