The Live 9 Compressor - How is it?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gurumonkey

The Live 9 Compressor - How is it?

Post by gurumonkey » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:23 pm

So I'm still on 8 Suite and I'm skipping 9. I'm curious to know your thoughts on the Live 9 Compressor that they added (Glue, I think). Mostly because the U-he Presswerk plug in just came out and is discounted, and I'm considering it.

Thanks

ImNotDedYet

Re: The Live 9 Compressor - How is it?

Post by ImNotDedYet » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:16 am

gurumonkey wrote:So I'm still on 8 Suite and I'm skipping 9. I'm curious to know your thoughts on the Live 9 Compressor that they added (Glue, I think). Mostly because the U-he Presswerk plug in just came out and is discounted, and I'm considering it.

Thanks
The standard compressor isn't bad, but The Glue is a must-have IMO. In fact, I've recently switched to mixing on Studio One and bought The Glue so I have it for busses in Studio One. I missed it too much.

Sional

Post by Sional » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:14 pm

I own Live 9 Suite and when I compared the two, I found that I could achieve the same audio result with the standard compressor as I could with the Glue compressor. However you do have to adjust more than one parameter on the standard compressor to equate to altering the range knob on the Glue compressor.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:58 pm

I find the stock compressor is fine, but it takes me more time/effort to get a sound I'm happy with than it does with the Glue. I love the Glue and use it on almost everything (except sidechaining, which I don't like it that much for).

That said, I also got Presswerk due to its being on sale and having the $25 coupon from U-he, and I am extremely pleased with it. So much versatility, the saturation sounds wonderful, and the compression character is top notch. Definitely worth the money.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:35 am

agent314 wrote:I love the Glue and use it on almost everything (except sidechaining, which I don't like it that much for).
What's not to like? I've now got Waves Renaissance Channel, C1, C4 (no sidechain), NI Solid Bus Comp and NI Solid Dynamics. Somehow Glue seems to affect the sound so transparently to almost become unhearable. I think that's the point, isn't it? C1 is almost completely transparent though.

Are there limitations you feel using Glue for sidechaining?
Make some music!

agent314

Post by agent314 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:40 am

What's not to like? I've now got Waves Renaissance Channel, C1, C4 (no sidechain), NI Solid Bus Comp and NI Solid Dynamics. Somehow Glue seems to affect the sound so transparently to almost become unhearable. I think that's the point, isn't it? C1 is almost completely transparent though.

Are there limitations you feel using Glue for sidechaining?
For sidechaining as a mixing tool Glue works great. As a sound design tool though, I have a hard time getting an envelope/attack/release setting that pumps in a natural way for my purposes, and I find myself using the stock compressor (and recently, the Presswerk SC options) more often