Ableton>Logic (any logic users on here?)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
CoreyJayzMusic

Ableton>Logic (any logic users on here?)

Post by CoreyJayzMusic » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:32 am

I Started to produce about a year ago, i have Logic Pro X and Ableton and decided to learn and stick with ONE... so i went with ableton, now im very comfortable with ableton and was thinking about getting familiar with logic as i am with ableton, everytime i open up logic i really do enjoy it, i like the layout the graphics and everything but i literally don't even know how to set a loop or add audio effects, its completely alien to me compared to ableton..

what are some of you're thoughts on Logic compared to ableton?

right off the bat to me logic seems to have a lot of high quality stuff going on even in the pre-sets ect..

i don't know much but i do like the groove machine in logic and the stock Synths seem pretty nice too!

Anything positive/negative in comparison to you're experience from ableton to logic?

Im going to learn logic anyway regardless what kind of feedback i get here just want to know your thoughts?

ALSO!! I'd like to stay organized with everything... so should i just make a separate "logic" folder ad save everything logic related to there as i do for ableton?
Ableton Suite 9.1, Komplette 9, Push, Novation LaunchKey49, Korg PadKontrol.

Machinesworking

Re: Ableton>Logic (any logic users on here?)

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:12 am

About to hit the sack but a few things:

Logic is far more customizable than Ableton in a way, screensets, key commands etc. but comes at a price. Ableton for most people is very intuitive and things fall into place quickly. It takes some time to get used to Logic.

Logic also offers some very advanced features for mix down and editing tracks, plus it communicates with hardware synths at a higher level with SysEx and the like. In many ways I think it's natural for someone to use more than one DAW when they get to a certain level, it's like owning a car and a truck. Personally I used Logic and Live alongside each other for years, then switch from Logic to Digital Performer. I still use Live, but I like an old school complex DAW for the reasons mentioned, plus better automation for mix down, CPU handling etc. as well as workflow geared towards that over Live which IMO still has as a strong point it's use as a remix sampler and loop/song performing tool

ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends

Post by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:52 pm

Last edited by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends on Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:51 pm

have been using both in tandem for about 10 years. logic is what i prefer for multitrack recording, some sound design feature and deeper mixing jobs.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:19 am

CoreyJayzMusic wrote:I Started to produce about a year ago, i have Logic Pro X and Ableton and decided to learn and stick with ONE... so i went with ableton, now im very comfortable with ableton and was thinking about getting familiar with logic as i am with ableton, everytime i open up logic i really do enjoy it, i like the layout the graphics and everything but i literally don't even know how to set a loop or add audio effects, its completely alien to me compared to ableton..

what are some of you're thoughts on Logic compared to ableton?

right off the bat to me logic seems to have a lot of high quality stuff going on even in the pre-sets ect..

i don't know much but i do like the groove machine in logic and the stock Synths seem pretty nice too!

Anything positive/negative in comparison to you're experience from ableton to logic?

Im going to learn logic anyway regardless what kind of feedback i get here just want to know your thoughts?

ALSO!! I'd like to stay organized with everything... so should i just make a separate "logic" folder ad save everything logic related to there as i do for ableton?

I have both.

I think for getting ideas down quickly Ableton wins with Drum Racks, Session View, no nonsense style piano roll.

Logic has a better library though and probably the best of all DAWS. Logic does seem to be better in terms of editing and mixing although I haven't finished a project in Logic.

Logic has a higher learning curve than Ableton. It's big focus is on learning. The key commands which I haven't really did yet.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:36 pm

ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends wrote:
CoreyJayzMusic wrote: ALSO!! I'd like to stay organized with everything... so should i just make a separate "logic" folder ad save everything logic related to there as i do for ableton?
i like to keep logic projects to the default osx 'user/music/logic' folder 8)
I personally disagree with this path as I feel only released audio gets into ~/Music. To me it's natural that what I create, if I was still using Logic, in this case would go into ~/Documents/Music/Logic or as is the case now go into ~/Documents/Music/Ableton Live.

The placement is important also for backup reasons. I back up what I create 3 times a day to an external disk and having one place under which everything created simplifies both the set up as well as execution. I back up ~/Music like once a week or so.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:40 pm

I used to be a Logic user for a long time and I liked it. I didn't evolve before I abandoned it and started using Live. I use Live for mixdown pretty much as I used Logic. I do like the execution efficiency in Logic though. I disagree the instruments are better. I really prefer Live. Maybe because I don't care much for presets.
Make some music!

pinkpaint

Post by pinkpaint » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:21 pm

As someone said above (repeating many things, but in how id summarize it all)

I have finished many songs in Ableton and I've never once finished a song in Logic. I respect logic, because deep down, I know it is more powerful. However, Ableton is intuitive, does one need to be powerful like hulk if they can run like the flash?

Let me compare two features to show you how intuitive Ableton is and how powerful logic is.

Multi FX Single Parameter Control: Macros (Ableton) and Smart Controls (Logic X)

In Ableton: You create an instrument rack (Or fx rack, but with the compressor sidechain headphone monitoring i just use the instrument rack and send signal to second chains with that) and then right click all your instrument and fx parameters and bind them to macros, and then you got to map to quickly finish the min and max values, wallah your done.
In Logic: One has only 8 knobs, they can't add to this with an additional FX rack, they only have one set of smart controls however, imo, it is a lot more powerful. You click your individual smart control knob and then on the left you click add parameter and then click learn and then touch the plug-in parameter you want to add, then to add another parameter to the same knob, you have to right click, add parameter, and repeat for how many times on how many knobs you want (max of 8 knobs) however, logic has a X/Y Graph in which you can create the curve and not just drag from quadrant 3 to quadrant 1 but from 2 to 4, so you can really have everything work the way you want, on one knob, so when you turn up the smart knob it actually can decrease a parameter while increasing other parameters, this is something ableton can't do, you also can't control the curve in ableton, in logic you can control so much about it.

I wish I used logic, but every time I try because of things like above taking so much longer even though they are more powerful, I just stop working and run to Ableton. If you really want to learn logic my best advice: Uninstall Ableton and dive in, its not intuitive like ableton, it can't be your side chick, it has to be your main squeeze. Hope this helps.

Also, if you play guitar, record vocals, or work with much hardware, Logic is what I would recommend, but if none of those things really matter to you they are both incredible for just music making alone.

If you want to stay organized in logic, don't use the sampler, use something like battery and Kontakt for all your sampler needs, ESX files go missing on a regular basis and require you to save the slightest of changes.

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:30 pm

swishniak wrote:have been using both in tandem for about 10 years. logic is what i prefer for multitrack recording, some sound design feature and deeper mixing jobs.
oh yeah and the ability to use the key commands like zooming in and out, changing views (mixer / automation), tools, chopping, etc.. still make logic more useful for mixing - especially in larger projects - in my opinion. i still miss these very much in live (and have told the abes many times ;))

Post by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:12 am

Last edited by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends on Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:35 am

Stromkraft wrote:
ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends wrote: i like to keep logic projects to the default osx 'user/music/logic' folder 8)
I personally disagree with this path as I feel only released audio gets into ~/Music. To me it's natural that what I create, if I was still using Logic, in this case would go into ~/Documents/Music/Logic or as is the case now go into ~/Documents/Music/Ableton Live.

The placement is important also for backup reasons. I back up what I create 3 times a day to an external disk and having one place under which everything created simplifies both the set up as well as execution. I back up ~/Music like once a week or so.
there is nothing to disagree here you fucking idiot, get a life
Can't take a differing opinion uh? People can choose whatever placements they want of their files, but I mentioned my reasons for not make do with default paths. That I did so is not a personal critique of your choice, but an additional view point of alternative placements.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:38 am

pinkpaint wrote:
I wish I used logic, but every time I try because of things like above taking so much longer even though they are more powerful,
This is exactly why I gave up Logic. I still thinks it's a great music application, but it's simply not for me as much as Live is.
Make some music!

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:55 am

I've used them both for years.

I do all my live recording, multi-tracking, and mixing in Logic. It's just much more comfortable when it comes to maneuvering between tracks, zooming, automation, etc. I also do any orchestral mockups in Logic as the MIDI features for editing and transforming material are just more powerful.

I use Live for most other creative work: writing beat-based music, sound design, experimentation, etc. Anything needing live sound cued up is also a no-brainer with Live.

I also use session view a lot for instrumental practice. Being able to set up backing tracks to play over, transpose the harmonic accompaniment to all twelve keys and then set up follow actions to traverse all the keys in different interval cycles is a pretty powerful rehearsal and practice tool.

Scoring to video I prefer to use Logic, but I've done a couple of film projects with Live too.
Unsound Designer

Post by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:29 am

Last edited by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends on Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:29 am

Stromkraft wrote: Can't take a differing opinion uh? People can choose whatever placements they want of their files, but I mentioned my reasons for not make do with default paths. That I did so is not a personal critique of your choice, but an additional view point of alternative placements.
give it up. you look dumb trying to disagree with the path i put my files,....
That's all in your head. I don't disagree with where you put your files, but I disagree with your specific suggestion — not with that you made the suggestion if course, make all you want — to others to use the default for reasons explained.

There are multiple options for what paths to use, each has their validity, also yours, and each user can make their own choices. I guess you have a problem with other people making different choices than what you make. I don't have that problem of yours. I also don't get hung up on people and oppose them for the sake of it. Maybe that's because I got a life.
Make some music!