OS X Yosemite audio dropouts

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pencilrocket

Re: OS X Yosemite audio dropouts

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:46 am

MOTU is usually garbage

madeofoak

Post by madeofoak » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:04 pm

I am having this exact same problem as well with this exact same machine. I've had it with two different motu 828s and a focusrite saffire pro 40. i really don't think it's a cpu issue.

this terminal work and notifications center stuff seem like really nit picky quasi-solutions to what seems to me to be a bigger incompatibility between this new era of quad core mbps and live 9.

anyone with any other ideas would be very appreciated! on tour currently and suffering through glitchy show after glitchy show.

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:10 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
gusc wrote:So I monitored my set with Acitivity Monitor and it shows that Live is using 45% CPU (not 12% as Live reports itself) and coreaudiod uses 3%, but overall CPU load is just 30%. It looks quite normal for me, or am I wrong?

Could this be what fishmonkey said, that the audio interface driver is interrupting the system for too long? Could this be a driver related problem?
Yes, IMO trusted audio cards are:
MOTU
RME
Prosonus
Focusrite
Avalon

Echo, Tascam M-Audio etc. are hit and miss.
BTW http://echoaudio.com is about the biggest steaming pile of shit of a website I've seen in a while.
If it's any indication of how they write their drivers I would sell the card to someone you hate. :x
As Chapelier; don't trust Motu, since this day they haven't been able to fix an audio dropout bug that appears with Mavericks (but IS a motu driver problem)... 1 1/2 year ago.
And the support don't really give a shit.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:39 am

Valiumdupeuple wrote: As Chapelier; don't trust Motu, since this day they haven't been able to fix an audio dropout bug that appears with Mavericks (but IS a motu driver problem)... 1 1/2 year ago.
And the support don't really give a shit.
BTW i have a brand new 828x for sale ! :lol:
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

ben amato

Post by ben amato » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:47 pm

I've got something similar going on with my iMac. No matter what interface I use, there are these maddening random glitches and dropouts in my playback. Done a complete clean reinstall, and eliminated every factor I can think of... bluetooth, wireless, ethernet, thunderbolt.... same as for the OP, the machine is not even breaking a sweat according to activity monitor.
Been tearing my hair out for a few months now, think i'm just gonna go buy another damn machine!

bicho

Post by bicho » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:13 am

I have this problem in Mavericks and I was able to fix it by uninstalling Max for Live.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:43 am

ben amato wrote:I've got something similar going on with my iMac. No matter what interface I use, there are these maddening random glitches and dropouts in my playback. Done a complete clean reinstall, and eliminated every factor I can think of... bluetooth, wireless, ethernet, thunderbolt.... same as for the OP, the machine is not even breaking a sweat according to activity monitor.
Been tearing my hair out for a few months now, think i'm just gonna go buy another damn machine!
FWIW, iMac is made for you mom and grandma. Get one that named Pro in their brand.

ben amato

Post by ben amato » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:09 pm

Actually solved the problem ages ago... went back to using my apogee duet. With the latest drivers it is singing like a bird:) no problems at all. There is definitely a lot to be said for having a well made interface.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:13 pm

ben amato wrote:Actually solved the problem ages ago... went back to using my apogee duet. With the latest drivers it is singing like a bird:) no problems at all. There is definitely a lot to be said for having a well made interface.
I'm using a Duet and an iMac, but haven't taken the Yosemite plunge. Still on Mavericks. Any other issues with controllers etc?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:22 am

ben amato wrote:Actually solved the problem ages ago... went back to using my apogee duet. With the latest drivers it is singing like a bird:) no problems at all. There is definitely a lot to be said for having a well made interface.
bingo. these sounded like bad driver issues to me. :)

ben amato

Post by ben amato » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:03 am

yup. I am now a believer:) recently had a few glitches due to running too many autotune plugins on BV tracks . When CPU gets to about 80% on the live indicator this seems to happen, but freezing the tracks brings it down again. So it's best to start with a good card and driver, and then go gone from there being careful of cpu. Get good singers:)))

Johan Wedel

Post by Johan Wedel » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:30 am

I figured, having the macbook camera active (Skype, photobooth, facebook) creates this problem! When closed it stopped! I have no idea why but that was the case for me!
Probably some issue with a third party plugin that conflicts with something... anyways!

asarghmatey

Post by asarghmatey » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:30 pm

I've done all the terminal commands listed here:

http://figure53.com/notes/2013-10-29-pr ... ubleshoot/

My question is if I have to run these every time I restart, or should these stick?

Thanks in advance for any help

TLW

Post by TLW » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:43 pm

Which OS?

I can’t remember Yosemite in enough detail to be sure, but certainly under the more recent OS versions most of that stuff can be done in system preferences and that will stick.

There are also alternatives to some of the suggestions that might actually be more useful. For example the freeware Time Machine Editor switches off Time Machine while allowing you to set a time-scheduled backup that happens e.g. once a day instead for frequently.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.