clip automation (Push) revert to default value

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tympanic

clip automation (Push) revert to default value

Post by Tympanic » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:03 pm

hi forum,

something about the workflow with push wont click somehow.

1. one puts up a clip with no automations but notes in it
2. one duplicates that clip
3. some automations will be recorded to that clip (ie. cutoff and whatnot)
4. one jumps back to the first clip (without automations)
--> all default values (of the parameters that were automated in the second clip) will have the wrong value. this leads to the first clip sounding totally different to what it sounded like before automations were recorded in -another- clip.

can someone please explain if there something wrong over here or what the workflow should be?

cheers and thanks very very much for your time.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.

>v< - that´s the question today

...the work of production is reduction...

some music

Because789

Re: clip automation (Push) revert to default value

Post by Because789 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:02 pm

This behaviour makes somehow sense, since there is no parameter information in the first clip, the parameter will be left on the value where the automation of the second clip was at the end of the clip.

I believe there are two native Live workarounds. The obvious one is:

- Automate the parameter you automate in the second clip in the first clip as well.

The second one is less reliable:

- Make your automation in the second clip, go back to the first clip and adjust the parameter as you like. When you now fire the second clip and after that the first one, the value will jump back to where you set it.

Problem is, like this you can only have one value for all the clips without automation. And in addition to that, if you record another automation in one of the clips, the parameter value will be left again on the last value of the newly automated clip and you have to reset the value for non automated clips again.

If you don't like these workarounds, PXT Live gives you the ability to reset parameter values.

ClyphX might give you the same possibility for free, but I'm not sure about that.

And last but not least, if you own M4L you could search for a capture or snapshot device which fits your needs.
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

Tympanic

Post by Tympanic » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:53 am

hey because789 - thank you for that elaborated answer. it really helpes a lot, you summed it up nicely. i´ll try pxt live and have a look at clyphx. the point, as always, is to find a productive workflow without distractions. as it is of now, i need to rethink the use of parameter automations always before i automate, which is quite disappointing. i think as well it has much to do with what you want from session view. when used as a simple sketch board which then gets jammed to arrangement view, automations are not so fiddly and inconsistent. otherwise, when using the clip-automations in session view and bulding a liveset, incorporating those automations, it very quickly becomes a big mess...
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.

>v< - that´s the question today

...the work of production is reduction...

some music

Because789

Post by Because789 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:37 am

Thanks for the kind words, your very welcome.

I totally see your point. When you're building a performance set without mainly pre-produced material, I believe the key is to set yourself a lot of more or less clever limitations. To me that means that when I have a sound I want to use live, I decide in advance which parameter I want automate on that specific sound (usually not more than one or two). And then I force myself into automating those parameters in every new clip, even if the parameter value will be more or less static. But that's just how I work...

Anyway, I strongly believe that avoiding a mess with such strategies is one of the main tasks (if not THE main task) when putting together a performance set.
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

mylkoa

Post by mylkoa » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:53 pm

Tympanic wrote:hi forum,

something about the workflow with push wont click somehow.

1. one puts up a clip with no automations but notes in it
2. one duplicates that clip
3. some automations will be recorded to that clip (ie. cutoff and whatnot)
4. one jumps back to the first clip (without automations)
--> all default values (of the parameters that were automated in the second clip) will have the wrong value. this leads to the first clip sounding totally different to what it sounded like before automations were recorded in -another- clip.

can someone please explain if there something wrong over here or what the workflow should be?

cheers and thanks very very much for your time.
Hi Tympanic,

I was wondering... how did you end up handling the situation from this old post?

Thanks!