Two turntables for ableton - plugin for scratching

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aaronleese

Two turntables for ableton - plugin for scratching

Post by aaronleese » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:41 pm

Hey guys -

Long time coming on this one, but here is the new project.
This plugin will read timecoded vinyl and let you scratch. Also included effects chains for the turntables, and a lot of features for the sample players themselves (cue points, loop rolls, etc).

Free at the moment, since we're in the beta release phase. Grab a copy and send me some feedback!
http://www.stagecraftsoftware.com/digit ... les-and-a/

Cheers!
Aaron

ImNotDedYet

Re: Two turntables for ableton - plugin for scratching

Post by ImNotDedYet » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:58 pm

Hmmm...this is very interesting! Might have to give it a play.

I'm assuming it will work with Timecode from either Traktor or Serato? Is there a limitation on the timecode versions?

Steve Glen

Post by Steve Glen » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:49 am

Wild! that's very cool. gonna have to try that.

aaronleese

Post by aaronleese » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:46 pm

Yeah, works with any timecode type out there. Drop me a line if I missed any and I'll add them.

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:56 pm

hmm... I see the signal coming in when I open the Deck Control settings box (gain, cut, sharp) but I can't seem to get it to lock. I am on windows 7 sp1 64bit, Live latest 64bit, PDX2000 turntable with Ortophon Scratch needle testing with both Torq and Serato vinyl. I looked for a 'Help' file but could not find one. My audio card is Focusrite @4800 and sample of 128, and I put your vst on an audio track sett to the inputs of my turntable. What button or setting Am I overlooking, How can I get it to lock?

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:28 am

few pointers on how to work this would be cool. :)

plugged in my sl4, with techs and timecodes running, and for the life of me can't figure out which buttons i need to press to pick up my control vinyl movements. was able to select serato timecodes, and load samples to each deck, but beyond that i'm lost

aaronleese

Post by aaronleese » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:33 pm

Oh, fear not, the manual is coming.

It's fairly similar to scratch track in terms of setup, so you can see the reference docs below for some general info.

http://www.stagecraftsoftware.com/produ ... nyl-setup/

I'll have a setup video and docs in the next month too though.

Post by 102455 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:36 pm

So how does this work? Is it just another one of those "spoof" ways of adding scratching to Live?

In other words, does it genuinely allow the user to scratch Live clips, or is it just being hosted by Live but holding the clips itself?

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:56 pm

aaronleese wrote:Oh, fear not, the manual is coming.

It's fairly similar to scratch track in terms of setup, so you can see the reference docs below for some general info.

http://www.stagecraftsoftware.com/produ ... nyl-setup/

I'll have a setup video and docs in the next month too though.
Thanks, I ended up fumbling around and finding scratch track, and got it working well, but unable to achieve the same results in this new plugin :)

For anyone else a quick overview would be turntable rcas plugged into your audio interface, or routed through a pre-amp (mixer) to audio interface, and within Live enable the inputs, turn on monitoring and tweak the signal from the vst. Was over complicating things thinking I needed a sl4 running as well.

aaronleese

Post by aaronleese » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:40 pm

@10245 - it works by reading timecoded vinyl, and actually scratching, yes (as opposed to many other plugins that do a "scratch effect", so just make a scratching like noise).

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:37 pm

I followed directions... Still not locking My Torq Vinyl is from the first year Torq was released and is listed as being made by Ms Pinky in small letters, So I tried both (actually after getting frustrated I tried all the vinyl types... Als tried all the vinyl types with my Serato 2.5 vinyl that I got last year (2014) from Guitar center. Nothing is locking for me.

aaronleese

Post by aaronleese » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:26 pm

hmmm ... email me at aaron at stagecraftsoftware.com and we can debug. Definitely works with torq, but maybe there is a routing issue. Send a screenshot if possible.