What would you buy?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
login

Re: What would you buy?

Post by login » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:08 am

Machinesworking wrote:I'm looking at picking up a MPK88 or the new Arturia 88 key controller.
Would like something that makes playing piano libraries fun, and works with these orchestral libraries I picked up.
Grt a cheap digital pianom the yamaha P105 or the casio Px150, those have far better keys than those Akai and arturia controllers.

If you need modwheel look at Roland A88 or the RD64(stage piano that is also a controller), also better keys and MIDI controlling options.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:02 pm

Everytime I think "Now is finally the time to buy an iPad" some other device in the same price range comes along that I rather want (this time it's the comming Korg Electribe Sampler)

So the the later is my answer to that question atm.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:12 pm

TomViolenz wrote:Everytime I think "Now is finally the time to buy an iPad" some other device in the same price range comes along that I rather want (this time it's the comming Korg Electribe Sampler)

So the the later is my answer to that question atm.

Don't worry! Be patient. When the time truly is right, you will know. I procrastinated for a very long time. Things aligned and I bought one. If you're still even the slightest bit iffy, you could wait and hopefully that wait will pay off. I'm quite happy that I waited. I feel extra confident about my decision.

mrdelurk

Post by mrdelurk » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:55 pm

TomViolenz wrote:Everytime I think "Now is finally the time to buy an iPad"
I think Apple is playing a smooth gambit on the world with the iPad. Basically, "this" is the next Mac, not the blender-looking thingus at the Apple Store. They are just adding vital OSX parts piecemeal to make money at every step (to come: a decent filing system, full printing, etc...) until one day, it will be a full Mac. Toted by every other person on Earth by then.

That's when I'll buy one, too, after the 3 billion unpaid beta testers. Thanks for ironing out all the kinks of the new form factor until then :D
Last edited by mrdelurk on Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

empathy1

Post by empathy1 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:14 pm

want a new interface so I can setup a second pair of reference monitors...working with the steinberg UR22 rn but definitely fiending an upgrade lately

Sternenlicht

Post by Sternenlicht » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:36 pm

For me its also a better audio interface. And my projects tend to grow in size, so that i getting near the end
of my processing power, so i would appreciate a XEON 8 core or more.
https://soundcloud.com/sternenlicht/rohkostler

Live 9.5 / Push / Omnisphere / Elektron Analog 4 / Analog RYTM /Octatrack

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:22 pm

iPad upgrades have become about as exciting as laptops now. Some spec bumps and some added features but nothing to get really excited about. That’s a good thing in a way because it’s a money saver when you don’t feel inspired to buy every new version and also you don’t need to worry about getting completely hosed if buying one and a new version is on the horizon.

I’m really liking the Touch ID on my iPhone 6 for unlocking my phone and approving purchases (and probably Apple Pay if/when that really takes off), but that’s not enough to make me run out and replace my iPad Air 1 and iPad Mini 1. That’s really about the only thing the current versions offer other than spec bumps.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:56 pm

The fingerprint thing is actually what convinced me that the air2 is 'the one' for me haha. That one extra swipe in non print ID devices ends up being a really big deal for usage. You cannot explain it to people. They'd have to experience it for a few months and then try to use an old device to understand. (Although there is a pretty good number of frustrations with print ID also... which is heightened when you choose to be cute and have an obnoxious screen lock password)

I don't know if the battery life has changed any from the Air to the Air2, but it is beyond satisfactory. I love it to pieces. iPads are amazing haha

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:17 pm

ImNotDedYet wrote:Treatment
+1
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:34 pm

yur2die4 wrote:The fingerprint thing is actually what convinced me that the air2 is 'the one' for me haha. That one extra swipe in non print ID devices ends up being a really big deal for usage. You cannot explain it to people. They'd have to experience it for a few months and then try to use an old device to understand. (Although there is a pretty good number of frustrations with print ID also... which is heightened when you choose to be cute and have an obnoxious screen lock password)
Oh I know. After using my iPhone all day when I get home to my iPad I’m “what’s this swipe shit?” while I’ll holding my finger on the button waiting for it to unlock. :x :wink:

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:54 pm

And when you try to explain to people how HUGE of a feature it is, they are like, "Uh, no, I don't need or care about that."

I merely pick up my phone and put my thumb on the button. Everything can be looked at in a glance.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:27 pm

yur2die4 wrote:And when you try to explain to people how HUGE of a feature it is, they are like, "Uh, no, I don't need or care about that."

I merely pick up my phone and put my thumb on the button. Everything can be looked at in a glance.
It also promotes security. I’m willing to bet there are tons of people who don’t put a passcode on their phone or tablet because it’s too much of a pain in the ass to input it every time you want to access it.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:38 pm

^ which is perfect because you don't need them to be conscious or even alive to gain access to their device.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:49 pm

H20nly wrote:^ which is perfect because you don't need them to be conscious or even alive to gain access to their device.
neither do you need the actual fingers. some silicone and a fingerprint from a dirty glass is enough.
Just last week it was shown that the fingerprints could even be produced from some high resolution photos from the fingers of a German politician.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:59 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
H20nly wrote:^ which is perfect because you don't need them to be conscious or even alive to gain access to their device.
neither do you need the actual fingers. some silicone and a fingerprint from a dirty glass is enough.
Just last week it was shown that the fingerprints could even be produced from some high resolution photos from the fingers of a German politician.

Most street criminals aren’t going to bother going to that extent. And you also have the option to brick your iPhone remotely from a website.