Which piece of studio equipment gets on your nerves the most

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Re: Which piece of studio equipment gets on your nerves the most

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:21 pm

I love the functionality, but it's not comfortable for me. I hope they release a taller one.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:31 pm

Tarekith wrote:I love the functionality, but it's not comfortable for me. I hope they release a taller one.
The few times I layed my hand on one it just screamed carpal tunnel syndrome at me.

Sternenlicht

Post by Sternenlicht » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:40 pm

What annoys me most, is my audio interface, its an Komplete Audio 6, and allthough it works perfectly when its running, sometimes its not detected after turing on the computer. Reinserting it, gets it to work. It just annoys me that i have to replug it.

My next interface will be an RME or an an A&H Firewire mixer :) still deciding.

(PS, i love the elektron workflow :)
https://soundcloud.com/sternenlicht/rohkostler

Live 9.5 / Push / Omnisphere / Elektron Analog 4 / Analog RYTM /Octatrack

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:57 pm

Magic mouse will require my arm to be amputated, I unfortunately own 2 of them. I ended up buying and returning a few meece, stuck with the Logitech G700S. Wireless/Wired rechargeable thing. Fits my hand great and tracks really well.

Now Ableton pisses me off the most. Re-loaded a track and it didn't remember any of my third party synth patches that I had created (nothing had changed on my system). I had to try and re-create them again (which wasn't perfect). Pushed me to upgrade Cubase to version 8 and check it out (it's amazing).

I think I'll just do some Push stuff using only Ableton instruments and FX (because I can't trust it to save anything else) and then move everything into good old trusty Cubase (never had this issue in Cubase in all the years since VST 5 days) from now on. Had a great track going, I mean really loved the sounds I made then Ableton Live ruined it all for me...
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:03 pm

The Ableton team should maybe focus on vsts for a 9.2 update :P. There is a lot to be desired in Live when it comes to using vsts (vst3? Per-note automation, program change automation/recognition? Recalling parameters, 32 vs 64 bit??) I mean, there is the added complexity of vsts across the board having unique problems of their own. But the problem is amplified when your DAW has its specifics.

On the bright side, without these features, Live still does do what it does beat. It'll host the things so you can play and experiment as soon as possible haha

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:33 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
Tarekith wrote:I love the functionality, but it's not comfortable for me. I hope they release a taller one.
The few times I layed my hand on one it just screamed carpal tunnel syndrome at me.
I don't treat it like a mouse that is meant to fit in the palm of my hand like your typical device... I put it under my fingers. So the low profile sort of just props them up.

Sional

Post by Sional » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:45 pm

Sternenlicht wrote:What annoys me most, is my audio interface, its an Komplete Audio 6, and allthough it works perfectly when its running, sometimes its not detected after turing on the computer. Reinserting it, gets it to work. It just annoys me that i have to replug it.

My RME Babyface has exactly the same problem on my desktop computer (but not my laptop). I suspect soft start power supply (ramping up to full voltage as opposed to instantaneous). None of my other equipment (Maschine, Push) is affected. I previously owned a KA6 and experienced the same problem but a lot less frequently.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:00 am

H20nly wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:
I don't treat it like a mouse that is meant to fit in the palm of my hand like your typical device... I put it under my fingers. So the low profile sort of just props them up.
I'm a Logitech guy, love their mice, Got a MX Revolution, hardly move it and it's gold, although one driver a few years back hosed Live's beat clock until they fixed it.

Sternenlicht

Post by Sternenlicht » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:46 am

Sional wrote:
Sternenlicht wrote:What annoys me most, is my audio interface, its an Komplete Audio 6, and allthough it works perfectly when its running, sometimes its not detected after turing on the computer. Reinserting it, gets it to work. It just annoys me that i have to replug it.

My RME Babyface has exactly the same problem on my desktop computer (but not my laptop). I suspect soft start power supply (ramping up to full voltage as opposed to instantaneous). None of my other equipment (Maschine, Push) is affected. I previously owned a KA6 and experienced the same problem but a lot less frequently.
I have read more reports, does the desktop run a asus main board ? There is some issue with the usb detection, like a short break before everything is initialized.
https://soundcloud.com/sternenlicht/rohkostler

Live 9.5 / Push / Omnisphere / Elektron Analog 4 / Analog RYTM /Octatrack

lapieuvre

Post by lapieuvre » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:51 pm

The RME Matrix/Mixer view... It's so powerful, but so complicated at the same time
MBP 2018, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.15.7
MBP M1 Max 64 GB Ram, OSX 14.3.1
Live 10.1.43 Suite
Live 11.3.21
Live 12 Beta
Interface : Apollo Twin duo

Sional

Post by Sional » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:11 pm

Sternenlicht wrote: I have read more reports, does the desktop run a asus main board ? There is some issue with the usb detection, like a short break before everything is initialized.
I have a self built PC with a Gigabyte motherboard. I don't think the issue is necessarily about drivers, MBs or USB. If I apply power to my computer the USB sockets are powered without having to switch my computer on. At this point I have to unplug/replug the USB connection to the Babyface to get it to light up. Other USB powered midi devices don't require me to do this. When I initially purchased the Babyface I did not have this problem but I have updated the Babyface firmware since purchase. I have an Antec modular power supply in my PC.

Sional

Post by Sional » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:31 pm

lapieuvre wrote:The RME Matrix/Mixer view... It's so powerful, but so complicated at the same time
It's not so much the case of being complex, as opposed to being initially confusing. The thing to remember is that the destination slot shown at the bottom of every input and output channel is not the only possible destination.

If you click on the destination slot it expands to show all possible destinations and if an arrow is shown to the left of one (or more)destination it means that a certain signal level is being routed to that destination(s).

To route the signal to a destination just select the destination and then adjust the fader of the input/output channel. If you select a destination and set the fader to neg infinity (lowest position) no signal from that input/output is sent to that destination.

BaronVonAbelDong

Post by BaronVonAbelDong » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:33 pm

Maschine...

Edited: because I'll change my mind again later...

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:41 am

Sional wrote:
lapieuvre wrote:The RME Matrix/Mixer view... It's so powerful, but so complicated at the same time
It's not so much the case of being complex, as opposed to being initially confusing. The thing to remember is that the destination slot shown at the bottom of every input and output channel is not the only possible destination.

If you click on the destination slot it expands to show all possible destinations and if an arrow is shown to the left of one (or more)destination it means that a certain signal level is being routed to that destination(s).

To route the signal to a destination just select the destination and then adjust the fader of the input/output channel. If you select a destination and set the fader to neg infinity (lowest position) no signal from that input/output is sent to that destination.
once your routing gets more than a little complicated, it's actually far easier to use the Matrix view...

e-smile-z

Post by e-smile-z » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:22 pm

automap with win 8.1...I 've being using automap now a few years and I gave it up ...

the sl controller could be such a great product!!
but there are a few things that really annoying

1) x&y pad you have to use it with a hammer

2)the pads are absolutely bull%#@ !

3)automap

the keys are okay.