Which piece of studio equipment gets on your nerves the most

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mrdelurk

Which piece of studio equipment gets on your nerves the most

Post by mrdelurk » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:51 am

If you had to name the one piece of hardware or software in your studio that aggravates you the most (makes you want to throw things at the wall at times, etc), what would this black sheep be?

(I'm curious if we'll see some repeat nominees. We should probably exclude Live since it's over-represented in member studios compared to any other gear)

chapelier fou

Re: Which piece of studio equipment gets on your nerves the most

Post by chapelier fou » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:14 am

All Elektrons. Love and hate thing. Sample and backup management on the MD is horrible.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

yup yup

Post by yup yup » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:10 am

^this and dsi tetra.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:23 am

Novation Automap.
Mostly I own instruments it's not suited to work with. Bazile, Zebra etc.
And the Remote SL is re-coded with Automap button wise for switching between Automap and the Live template etc. So I'm always forgetting the song and dance you have to go through to do this.

The QueNexus is a close second though, I'm pretty sure I'm getting random misfires on the velocity of notes as I play it, and I'm well past warranty on it...

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:13 am

The APC Mini:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=209604

added to what was already in that thread:

The faders output random Midi even when not touched. Trying to make new Midi assignements when this thing is plugged in is really trying, as the faders take over that process :x
The Midi jumps are minor, so they can still be used as faders (jump by about 0.5 dB), but it's really annoying nontheless.

I still bought a second unit though, because it's the only controller with that form factor and I needed that for the instrument I had build. But I had to run it through Bomes MT and insolate the APCs Midi ports from Live that way and also control the lights with a lot of Bomes' code, otherwise it was unusable as a general Midi controller.

So def. two thumbs down for that one! :x

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:26 pm

None. I got rid of everything that frustrates me. (In my case, Novation Nocturn)

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:33 pm

The computer actually. My outboard gear is all rock solid.

I must be the only person in the universe who actually likes to use Automap and the Nocturn 8O

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:36 pm

OSX updates and Push dysfunction (fixed length and audio recording)
Volca Keys (cannot clear out the memory even with hard reset)
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel

ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends

Post by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:41 pm

Last edited by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends on Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:52 pm

Me. I'm the weakest link in my studio. Unfocused and easily moved to distraction. :x

login

Post by login » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:55 pm

It used to be my audio interface, I was so annoyed by it I got an RME.

Now it is running out of CPU power.

And then the thing that annoys the hell out of me is why Push, touchable, livecontrol2 or any other Live controller can't control the *** drum rack mixer! Why? why?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:19 pm

For me, Push. I don't know if it is because I have an early model, but even with setting changes, the dynamics of the pads aren't always 100% predictable/consistent across the grid. On top of that, after maybe an hour and a half I might sometimes get a stuck note that can unstick sometimes and then just sticks again. Kills my workflow completely.

Only other issues I've ever had are the occasional short in a usb Jack (my korg k61p on the other hand used to flip out whenever I touched the pitchbend, the new auto-reconnect for Live on windows was a blessing).

One last thing is, I do understand that Touchable is doing a lot at once. In rare cases it will act up. Very rare cases.

Oh, and I need to be more decisive about how my computer handles sleep/idle modes!!!!! Between the monitor dimming, the HD/cpu taking a nap, the USB taking a break or the wifi stopping after prolonged periods. I do not have my laptop set up ideally for controlling it remotely either while plugged in, or not.

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:28 pm

the printer. not very musical obviously, and i only really use it for printing out tickets and stuff but nearly every time i use it i end up nearly throwing it out the window

max/msp & maxforlive. too much time grinding to a halt staring at greyness

my empty beerglass/wineglass

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:46 pm

My new Ikea lamp, uses funky LED lights so I can no longer use the fun light changing bulbs I normally like during writing sessions.

Music gear wise, if it gets on my nerves it gets sold asap (cough Elektron cough), so I don't really have to worry about that. Life is too short for gear malfunctions.

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:19 pm

My computer mouse... I still have an old trackball with the scroll wheel that circles the ball, it never works right and I over-wheel everything with the mouse wheel or it doesn't work at all. I have like 3 magic mice that came with various macs, they are too small for my hand I think. I also have a magic trackpad but I can't seem to make myself learn the 3 finger drag instead of click and drag which is horrific on a trackpad.

Actually thanks for bringing this up, my mouse has been driving me nuts and I didn't even realize it. Something has to be done... anybody have a mouse they love?
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /