Macbook air with 8 GB RAM or Macbook Pro with 4GB?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TomViolenz

Re: Macbook air with 8 GB RAM or Macbook Pro with 4GB?

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:48 am

ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:
eddiex wrote:get the pro all day!! faster processor!! upgrade the RAM yourself later if needed.
If we're talking new you can't upgrade the RAM afterwards AFAIK. Not without resoldering.
-stromkraft, someone earlier brought to his attention that the new ones are soldered, pay attention and quit trying to take credit for everything
:roll:
Really?!
You scold him for giving important information, just because he missed that it was already mentioned?!

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:53 am

yur2die4 wrote:Apparently Apple will slap Pro on anything these days
If only that would be all :x

I would say that nothing Pro that Apple slaps that moniker on nowadays is actually "Pro" anymore (with the possible exception of the Mac Pro, but even there I read that some things are soldered in place...)

The new MBPros are nice and powerful consumer machines, but that's where it ends. :(

Amulet 26

Post by Amulet 26 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:52 pm

Thanks yur2die4 for the comparison.
They're really pretty close in performance, but I think I'm going to buy the pro...
I wish to have the option of 8 GB of Ram in the MBP, but Macs are very expensive here in Brazil, believe it or not with all the taxes each of these machines will cost me almost U$2.000.

But I thought there will be more people using Live with the air…

The fact is my Dell Laptop sometimes stop to work for some seconds and I can't run the risk in a Live situation.
I have an iMac 2011, where I produce all my stuff with no problem, with 12Gb of ram, as I said the laptop will be only for Live performance.

Thank you guys for all the replies!

ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends

Post by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:27 pm

Last edited by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends on Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:48 pm

Actually, in stromkraft's defense he basically restated the solder point so he could lead into the next point he intended to make.

Without mentioning the solder part first, people would think he's out of his mind.

I don't see a point in trying to call people out for redundancy anyway. It is better to attempt to be helpful and not give disinformation at least.