Is it bad to always leave your studio monitors on?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
CoreyJayzMusic

Is it bad to always leave your studio monitors on?

Post by CoreyJayzMusic » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:45 am

I was just now taking my enternet wire out and when I got close to my speakers i noticed a very very slight hiss even when all volumes are down all the way, on my computer and speakers. I don't know if that's always been there I think it probably has, maybe something is interfering with it... Anyway it's a very light hiss it's bearly audiable unless you get really close, I read somewhere on the Internet that if you leave them on all the time it would take years and years if at all any damage occurs.
Ableton Suite 9.1, Komplette 9, Push, Novation LaunchKey49, Korg PadKontrol.

CoreyJayzMusic

Re: Is it bad to always leave your studio monitors on?

Post by CoreyJayzMusic » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:49 am

I mean i don't think your monitors can legit be 0db it's seriously that low but it's just me being OCD about it

JoshG567

Post by JoshG567 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:09 am

I turn mine off because they suck power; it'd be rad if they could go into standby like a screen.

CoreyJayzMusic

Post by CoreyJayzMusic » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:15 am

JoshG567 wrote:I turn mine off because they suck power; it'd be rad if they could go into standby like a screen.

I don't care about sucking power or power bills or whatever I always leave mine on and want to know if this is not recommended or something?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:05 am

JoshG567 wrote:I turn mine off because they suck power; it'd be rad if they could go into standby like a screen.
mine go on standby, i love it... they can be a little slow to kick in when music starts but i think this threshold keeps them from coming on every time a silly OS noise tells me i can't click there or there's no more room to type etc etc. ...that would mean they'd turn on after the OS sound.

@ the OP, leave em on if you want. the question you're asking was asked by people about their Hi-Fi stereos in the 80's.

arguments for or against may include one or more of the following:

power consumption
wear and tear
constant heat
cooled components rapidly heating repeatedly
fire threat
electromagnetism
potato

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:20 pm

CoreyJayzMusic wrote:I was just now taking my enternet wire out and when I got close to my speakers i noticed a very very slight hiss even when all volumes are down all the way
balanced outputs usually makes monitors quite quiet.
Make some music!