Editing two clips at the same time? triggering two synths

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
yentzee

Editing two clips at the same time? triggering two synths

Post by yentzee » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:29 am

Hi!

Could anyone tell me if there is a way to have the midi notes of two clips displayed at the same time?
When I am having a baseline made of bas sound and a subbass and I want to edit I have to switch between the different clips but they are playing the same just one octave shifted. I used cubase before and when selecting multiple tracks and opening the key editor the ones that belong to one track are highlighted once one note is selected.

Also can I arm two devices at the same time so I can play synth bass and subbass at the same time?

TThnaks for helping.

chapelier fou

Re: Editing two clips at the same time? triggering two synths

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:52 am

Unfortunately this is impossible.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:41 pm

Since you're playing the same notes one octave apart, consider merging the two clips into one clip. Then drop an instrument rack on that MIDI track. Put your two external instruments in the instrument rack, then create a MIDI split in the instrument rack where one synth is triggered by the upper range of notes and the other synth is triggered by the lower range of notes.

Using this technique, you would not be constrained to keeping the two synths exactly one octave apart--they could have small variations, in both tone and rhythym from each other to create additional interest and flow. As long as the two instruments never cross note ranges, this would work.

And since all the notes would be in one clip, you wouldn't have to switch back and forth to edit them.

You could also just trigger both synths from the same clip and detune the second synth down an octave, but that's not as elegant as using the split MIDI technique, in my opinion.

Hope that helps!
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

yentzee

Post by yentzee » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:43 pm

Thanks. Sounds like a reasonable workaround.

yentzee

Post by yentzee » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:06 pm

Just tried the way you explained. I am stuck with one thing. Is there a way to change the root note of each instrument in a rack? I managed to give each instrument an individual range on the keyboard but obviously they won't be able to play the same note if they don't overlap.
So I probably could change the root key within the instrument itself but when trying different presets I would have to do this every time (of course depending on the instrument but in general the tune option is part of the preset and not a global parameter) but it would be way better if I could change this in live like I do when using a sampler and defining the root key of a sample.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:22 pm

yentzee wrote:Hi!

Could anyone tell me if there is a way to have the midi notes of two clips displayed at the same time?
Best way is to move them to arrangement and set up a loop there and open up with the arrows to display the MIDI in the tracks. Then double click on each part and edit that below.

While not perfect, this gives you an overview. Remember that edits you make in Arrangement are made on a copy, if the original lives in Session, and that it needs to be copied back should you want the edited version in Session.
Make some music!

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:44 pm

yentzee wrote: So I probably could change the root key within the instrument itself but when trying different presets I would have to do this every time (of course depending on the instrument but in general the tune option is part of the preset and not a global parameter) but it would be way better if I could change this in live like I do when using a sampler and defining the root key of a sample.
Check out the Pitch MIDI Effect. You can place it on the chain in front of the instrument in question.

yentzee

Post by yentzee » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:08 pm

Cool. I think that is what I was looking for. Quite a bit of a workaround but in the end it gives lots of flexibility.

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:35 pm

yentzee wrote:When I am having a baseline made of bas sound and a subbass and I want to edit I have to switch between the different clips but they are playing the same just one octave shifted.
yentzee wrote:Is there a way to change the root note of each instrument in a rack? I managed to give each instrument an individual range on the keyboard but obviously they won't be able to play the same note if they don't overlap.
This is where I think I got confused. I assumed you would use one MIDI clip with two notes placed an octave apart. The upper note would be in the keyboard range of the bass instrument, and the lower note would be in the keyboard range of the sub-bass instrument.

That's why I was thinking you could put small variations between the two instruments, since they are playing their own lines from the same clip.

But, yeah, if you want both instruments to receive the same note data but play a different note, I agree the MIDI pitch effect would be the way to go.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

yentzee

Post by yentzee » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:40 pm

Well kind of both.
I don't really know why this is but some synth presets seem to vary in their root key.
So generally I would like to have two notes triggering two synths (can select both and so edit at the same time) so I can stay flexible for small variations but when choosing a sound for top and a sound for the sub sometimes this seem to vary an octave automatically (I guess the person programming the sub bass sound wanted it to play an octave lower already which sometimes sucks).
But in general I think the rack idea is the way forward. The midi effects can then just be utilized to correct stuff like the problem mentioned above.
Thanks for helping!!!

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:39 pm

yentzee wrote:Well kind of both.
I don't really know why this is but some synth presets seem to vary in their root key.
So generally I would like to have two notes triggering two synths (can select both and so edit at the same time) so I can stay flexible for small variations but when choosing a sound for top and a sound for the sub sometimes this seem to vary an octave automatically (I guess the person programming the sub bass sound wanted it to play an octave lower already which sometimes sucks).
But in general I think the rack idea is the way forward. The midi effects can then just be utilized to correct stuff like the problem mentioned above.
Thanks for helping!!!
Yes, that is what I was thinking as well. To use both methods together.

yentzee

Post by yentzee » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:21 pm

on it right now.
Thanks for your help.
This is actually brilliant and I can even save the racks as instruments.
Awesome!!!!

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:39 am

You are welcome :wink: and good luck!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:44 am

Personally what I'd like Ableton to implement is a virtual editor that will allow you to edit MIDI data in multiple selected clips. You already can edit other clip data in this way.
Make some music!