New Sonar gone monthly subscription. Might Ableton go same?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
CFM

Re: New Sonar gone monthly subscription. Might Ableton go same?

Post by CFM » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:17 pm

Waves plugins have had a subscription model for many years. There's is rather good as you don't have to buy every year. In-fact, I had version 6, did not pay for 3 year until this year, then got version 9 of all my waves plugins. I do see with sonar you get to keep all the software you have after one year of subscription even if you don't pay for another year.

Personally, I've always thought the subscription method is the way all software will go!

mareproduction

Post by mareproduction » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:24 pm

If Ableton do this I will change Ableton in second :-)Fruity Loops is fine DAW also.

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:43 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
Donnie wrote:These types of subscription models are new age piracy protection in disguise.
How so?!
I doubt that measure alone would make the software harder to crack.

I would go as far as saying that this model would put the pirats at an even bigger advantage vs. the honest user than they already are.
With subscription models companies have a lot more options available for controlling propagation. They can limit updates, make full versions less available, afford to create more features that rely on online connectivity (usually unable to be cracked), better monitor and control the machines that they are installed on (therefore limiting sharing), etc. With better control it reduces the opportunity for cracking because warez/cracking crews still need a regular supply of core software and updates. Therefore subscription based software usually takes longer to get a crack for, increasing the likelihood that those who can not find a timely crack will cave in and buy it.

I'm sure there are other benefits as well, just a few ideas off the top of my head.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:23 pm

To get back on topic, if I cared about this subject I would probably turn an eye toward what Cycling 74 has done with Max 7.

They offer different options. You can buy the app outright, you can pay a monthly subscription, or you can pay an annual subscription at a slight discount off the price of the monthly.

Seeing how Cycling 74 has publicly stated on several occasions that many of the changes in their software and the way they run their business since Max 5 have come from working with Ableton I would say that it's not a bad bet that something like this could be coming for Live 10.
Unsound Designer

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:15 am

mareproduction wrote:If Ableton do this I will change Ableton in second :-)Fruity Loops is fine DAW also.
FL is a subscription model - free updates for life.

Avid and Samplitude are the only subscription DAWs out there. The option is to buy. I don't think any software will be subscription only in a very competitive market.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:23 am

CFM wrote:Waves plugins have had a subscription model for many years. There's is rather good as you don't have to buy every year. In-fact, I had version 6, did not pay for 3 year until this year, then got version 9 of all my waves plugins. I do see with sonar you get to keep all the software you have after one year of subscription even if you don't pay for another year.

Personally, I've always thought the subscription method is the way all software will go!
Early Waves inflexible PUP plan actually bombed. I've read numerous pages year ago on NorthernSoundSource how people would stop using Waves. Waves and Pace had bad reputations at one time. There's a reason why Waves gives away stuff and is also very affordable. They need money from the hobbyist. Pace/iLok at one time would corrupt a hard drive. Now you see vendors giving free products for an iLok.
The last time I checked Waves PUP $300 is the maximum charge.

Steve Glen

Post by Steve Glen » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:06 am

//Apologies if anyone thought my previous comment was sexist. It was not intended to be. It was intended to show how you can rent a product/service in participating in a yoga class, wherein you rent a space to lay your matt down and you get the service of instruction. -Steve

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:48 pm

kitekrazy wrote:
Avid and Samplitude are the only subscription DAWs out there. The option is to buy. I don't think any software will be subscription only in a very competitive market.
Oh? Try telling that to Adobe!!
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

CFM

Post by CFM » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:00 pm

Subject of corrupt a hard drives aside...

kitekrazy I think vendors give away free products for the iLok, not because it's terrible system, but because they can tempt you with products that cost. All music software companies need hobbyists to spend their hard-earned cash, very few could survive by just providing pro-studios.

For a company a subscription model has a number of benefits. The traditional way with any DAW is that a company will get maximum income over a few months when they release a new version. Some will never upgrade so income falls as upgraders fall, so you need to sell other products or gain more users. A subscription model allows developers to add new features when they are available without the whole upgrade fiasco.

Personally, I think a better way is to give a basic form of the software free with no support, then buy a subscription which allows more features to be unlocked, company support, updates and new versions.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:36 pm

After reading this, I changed my mind:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Introducing-t ... 44654.aspx

It's actually a pretty cool idea considering you get to keep the software after one year, and can pay up front for less if you want,

mmorgan

Post by mmorgan » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:02 pm

It seems that a subscription model could be a recipe for corporate malfeasance but I think Cakewalk got their version right. That is, once you have paid full freight the software is yours to use. Or if you prefer just pay full freight from the get go. Perhaps the best of both worlds but time will tell.
Michael Morgan | pearl hour project
Intel i7-2600 @3.4GHz; 16G Ram; Win 10-64; Live 9.5
RME-Fireface UFX; Machine II; APC40; MPK25;
Guitars and Amps

smallstonefan

Post by smallstonefan » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:36 pm

Hi all,

Long-time Cakewalk user and relatively new Ableton/Push user. I just wanted to support Erik's post - this is not a subscription model but there are a lot of misconceptions about the model - you should see the hubbub on the Cakewalk forum! WOW :)

Anyway, I'm loving my Live/Push combination and even just posted about my love over there: http://forum.cakewalk.com/Ableton-users ... 48979.aspx

best,
james

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:40 pm

kitekrazy wrote:Waves and Pace
Waves doesn't use PACE now.
Make some music!

Steve Glen

Post by Steve Glen » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:12 pm

If there is a payment threshold that changes to full ownership, then the model is rent-to-own or a version of financing: not a software subscription model.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:03 pm

Stop it, common sense is not allowed here :)