New Sonar gone monthly subscription. Might Ableton go same?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eyeknow

Re: New Sonar gone monthly subscription. Might Ableton go same?

Post by eyeknow » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:45 am

But if the "support" abruptly stop (which it's been documented that it will) then it's NOT rent to own. It's rent to NEED THE NEXT subscription to be covered.

Regardless, I finally stopped the cakewalk carousel at the end of the much failed "X2" cycle. Never worked, couldn't even create a simple midi loop (I mean, imagine that!) Atrocious. Don't care if they've fixed it or not....not wasting my time. They have my blood money, no more.

I hope two things with ableton at this point in time: a) That they are working on a significant update that addresses some issues (like PDC) and b) That it's not going to be some subscription thing that is designed to take cash with the "hope" of updating it further.

jrhillma

Post by jrhillma » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:34 pm

e-smile-z wrote:i would sell ableton instantly if they would take the subscription route
In the old thread on this topic, I said almost the same thing. I'd just stick with the version I have at the point they go subscription based if it is the same as Adobe's model (you can use it only as long as you're paying for it). The Cakewalk deal is slightly different. You can pay up front and get the full program, which will never stop working? I can stomach that, as long as I'm able to skip years if I want. Meaning I can stay on X3 Producer for now and in 2016 when they come out with X5 Tantalum Subscription, I can upgrade directly without having to pay twice...once for the X4 version and once for the new X5 version. If that makes sense. I'll have to see what they 'fixed' in X4 before deciding. X3 Producer runs like a top on my Surface Pro 2, so it's not like I have a burning need to upgrade.

mrdelurk

Post by mrdelurk » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:10 pm

Donnie wrote:These types of subscription models are new age piracy protection in disguise.
If you want to end piracy, have Microsoft run it. :lol: