live setup suggestions !?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
erlendc

live setup suggestions !?

Post by erlendc » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:06 pm

Hey,,
Im quite new to Ableton live and have one (simple) question.

I`m basicaly using it for triggering live drum loops for my band. (4 loops pr song) ..

I also want to run my vocal trough it, to be able to add some efx to my vocal sound.

Any suggestions on how I can set this up - without having to load a new project for each song..

Im thinking: one song for each row..? That way my vocal line can always be active without any change..

Hope this was understandable

Best regards from
Erlend

login

Re: live setup suggestions !?

Post by login » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:21 pm

yep, one song per row (in Live they are named Scenes) is the most sensible way to do it.

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:07 pm

yup - if you have different loops for each song use a few scenes . . you can write in the bpm of that song in the master channel.. also check out 'dummy clips' for automating vocal efx. have fun with it!

CFM

Post by CFM » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:28 pm

From what you have said I would not use live for triggering live drum loops. I'd use something like Roland SPD-SX or the new Alesis Samplepad Pro.

I may use Ableton to re-sample to the correct tempo or add extra sounds to the sample before exporting to an SD card and importing to the Samplepad.

Vocals - set up one channel as input, I assume you have a sound card that has external inputs or even mic inputs/plus phantom power if needed. Add effects, output to master or output channel.

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:59 am

I suggest using an external mixer with a dedicated FX bus going into live(through your interface) and back to the mixer. This way youll avoid any potential latency in your direct signal.

erlendc

Post by erlendc » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:21 pm

Thanx guys!

This will be interesting.. So,, I want to use EQ from live, so my main vocal must go through live.
Only left is to se if latency will be a problem ...
anyone with expirience ?