Bitwig Studio 1.2 'mind-blowing free update'

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Sean_Clarke

Bitwig Studio 1.2 'mind-blowing free update'

Post by Sean_Clarke » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:47 pm

BITWIG at NAMM next week to offer a preview of their (apparently) mind-blowing free update, Bitwig Studio 1.2

It has been a LONG time since the Ableton did anything significant- Live 9 is pretty much just as it was and PUSH is sorely neglected- I am really hoping that is due to a very significant free 9.5 update coming next week....I am die-hard 'Live', but I cant just ignore the old BITWIG if they keep developing and improving at the rate they seem to be....my poor old PUSH controller has more functionality in BITWIG Studio than it does in Live!
DAWS: Live 11 Suite + PUSH2, Studio One, Bitwig and Reason all via an X32 desk: Instruments: modular and analogue stuff, guitars, basses and drums.

stringtapper

Re: Bitwig Studio 1.2 'mind-blowing free update'

Post by stringtapper » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:24 pm

Nah, just ignore them.
Unsound Designer

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:38 pm

Sean_Clarke wrote: I am really hoping that is due to a very significant free 9.5 update coming next week....
That would indeed be quite a jump!

In version numbers that is :lol:

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:46 pm

Ableton doesn't time anything with NAMM, why would they start now?

And are you -really- still falling for people using the words "mind blowing" in their press hype? Apparently so... :roll:
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:47 pm

Companies are always aware their competitors are working on something. When they put something out simply based on a competitor’s rumored release schedule it’s usually a botched half baked rushed to market job. That’s not a good business practice.

Sean_Clarke

Post by Sean_Clarke » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:18 pm

mholloway wrote:Ableton doesn't time anything with NAMM, why would they start now?

And are you -really- still falling for people using the words "mind blowing" in their press hype? Apparently so... :roll:
Not really, although the last marketing hype I fell for on a half finished virtually unsupported product was PUSH! The point was Bitwig continuously add new and musically creative and interesting stuff (the side chain modulation stuff they added for per note control was pretty amazing in the last .1 update, a bit like Plock on my Analog4). For me it is only MAX that keeps ableton ahead and innovative, and most commonly requested features (In clip editing etc) are already there you have to wonder how long it will be before Live 'catches up' if bitwig just keep adding more. I own Live 9 suite/max/push....I don't want to want Bitwig!

The only thing we know for sure is that bitwig WILL have new stuff added that we can see next week, mind-blowing or otherwise, better than nothing from Ableton....it would hurt for Ableton to tease us a little if there was an update coming!
DAWS: Live 11 Suite + PUSH2, Studio One, Bitwig and Reason all via an X32 desk: Instruments: modular and analogue stuff, guitars, basses and drums.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:55 pm

Sean_Clarke wrote:
mholloway wrote:Ableton doesn't time anything with NAMM, why would they start now?

Not really, although the last marketing hype I fell for on a half finished virtually unsupported product was PUSH! The point was Bitwig continuously add new and musically creative and interesting stuff (the side chain modulation stuff they added for per note control was pretty amazing in the last .1 update, a bit like Plock on my Analog4). For me it is only MAX that keeps ableton ahead and innovative, and most commonly requested features (In clip editing etc) are already there you have to wonder how long it will be before Live 'catches up' if bitwig just keep adding more. I own Live 9 suite/max/push....I don't want to want Bitwig!

The only thing we know for sure is that bitwig WILL have new stuff added that we can see next week, mind-blowing or otherwise, better than nothing from Ableton....it would hurt for Ableton to tease us a little if there was an update coming!
Honestly?! The difference between you and a person just interested in the progress of DAWs?!
The latter would have waited with his post till Bitwigs new shiny would have been actually confirmed and released, so that there would actually be something to discuss ;-)

That's by far not to say, that I'm not interested in what it will be that they release. So far, for a version 1, Bitwig is quite impressive. 8)

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:42 pm

I'm glad the bitwig team are putting on the pressure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-GXaCfCICI

https://github.com/git-moss/Push4Bitwig/wiki

So they've copied some of the best bits of ableton push script and added some nice additions:

Muting clips (couldn't tell if it allowed multiple touch)
arrangement flip
Volume meter/vu observe
master (long press) pane views
device page and highlights

Seems API is still being worked out so maybe what will be announced at namm? In the meantime I hope Abes like their eggs :lol: :oops:

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:14 pm

I wonder if its their modular routing thing.
All 54 devices found in Bitwig Studio were designed using a modular device creation environment which is integrated in the application. Unlike other software, this feature is at the heart of the code running Bitwig Studio. In the next major release, anyone with Bitwig Studio will have access to the integrated Modular System, enabling the modification of existing devices, or the creation and design of entirely new ones.
I think what they are saying is "it wont crash the app on startup 5 times before you can even get the damn thing open, like other applications do"

Sean_Clarke

Post by Sean_Clarke » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:21 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
Sean_Clarke wrote:

Honestly?! The difference between you and a person just interested in the progress of DAWs?!
The latter would have waited with his post till Bitwigs new shiny would have been actually confirmed and released, so that there would actually be something to discuss ;-)

That's by far not to say, that I'm not interested in what it will be that they release. So far, for a version 1, Bitwig is quite impressive. 8)
On the contrary, To me the point is that the Wigs are continuously developing interesting new features, innovating and (and this is the point) they are communicating / demonstrating what they are doing. Staff from BITWiG communicate with users at the Kvr forum, we just have a beta forum with an endless list of ranked feature requests but no feedback on if and when a feature may be implemented.

I'm also a bit miffed that PUSH works better in BITWiG studio than it does in live!

dna598

Post by dna598 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:24 pm

irrelevance wrote:I'm glad the bitwig team are putting on the pressure.
wow it's apc40 all over again, but worse.

The amount of third party fixes, add-ons, and now a daw app filling in functionality gaps on Push is just silly. I sincerely wish they would pull their finger out.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:09 pm

Sean_Clarke wrote:
On the contrary, To me the point is that the Wigs are continuously developing interesting new features, innovating and (and this is the point) they are communicating / demonstrating what they are doing. Staff from BITWiG communicate with users at the Kvr forum, we just have a beta forum with an endless list of ranked feature requests but no feedback on if and when a feature may be implemented.

I'm also a bit miffed that PUSH works better in BITWiG studio than it does in live!
dna598 wrote:
irrelevance wrote:I'm glad the bitwig team are putting on the pressure.

The amount of third party fixes, add-ons, and now a daw app filling in functionality gaps on Push is just silly. I sincerely wish they would pull their finger out.
Overall I think this is great for ableton users who like myself have 0 interest in the competition but have grown tired of the little (if any) influence beta involvement has had in motivating ableton to progress their flagship controller. Time will tell. In the meantime I'm still having a great time in 9.1.6.

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:13 pm

Ableton is dust from the past! Bitwig will have no problem to take over where Ableton left the building for about 5 years ago! Push is a great idea but the failling intergration with live without PXT is a MEGA JOKE! How can you act like that? I never saw anything as arrogant as this german company. I dont believe in this project anymore and i guess that Ableton will be closing this or next year if they continue this policy...... :twisted:
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:39 pm

xzusa8ky wrote:Ableton is dust from the past! Bitwig will have no problem to take over where Ableton left the building for about 5 years ago! Push is a great idea but the failling intergration with live without PXT is a MEGA JOKE! How can you act like that? I never saw anything as arrogant as this german company. I dont believe in this project anymore and i guess that Ableton will be closing this or next year if they continue this policy...... :twisted:
I'm not so sure their stance should be considered arrogant. Ableton is no fly by night operationan it could be (heavy speculation with no shred of proof at this point, but here's to hoping :-P ) that they are just waiting to see what hand bitwig plays before reveiling anything. Bitwig are the ones that have everything to prove so they HAVE to shout loud and pay close attention to community needs to gain customers. I bet ableton was once like this I've not been with them long enough to know.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:03 pm

dna598 wrote:

irrelevance wrote:
Overall I think this is great for ableton users who like myself have 0 interest in the competition but have grown tired of the little (if any) influence beta involvement has had in motivating ableton to progress their flagship controller. Time will tell. In the meantime I'm still having a great time in 9.1.6.
I hear you but this should not be the case. The current state of push is messy and UN-fulfilled. Watching the bitwig Push video on youtube, i was left slightly aghast. I won't be switching, so I am leaning Ableton to sort it out. Not sure how sensible that is. :evil:
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection