Blocked on SoundCloud??!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Richie Witch

Blocked on SoundCloud??!

Post by Richie Witch » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:01 pm

Seriously??

Because I used a recording of someone huffing along as they run, my song was blocked as being derived from "Wait (the Whisper Song)" by the Ying Yang Twins?!!

I filed a dispute. :x Anybody know how long these things take to resolve? I've been working on this song for months and it just pisses me off that I can't post it!!

Went from euphoria to rage is 2.5 seconds. Grrrrrrrr
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

Stromkraft

Re: Blocked on SoundCloud??!

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:10 pm

Richie Witch wrote:Seriously??

Because I used a recording of someone huffing along as they run, my song was blocked as being derived from "Wait (the Whisper Song)" by the Ying Yang Twins?!!

I filed a dispute. :x Anybody know how long these things take to resolve? I've been working on this song for months and it just pisses me off that I can't post it!!

Went from euphoria to rage is 2.5 seconds. Grrrrrrrr
I really do feel there is room for a good class action suite against these companies, if that may apply. Robot Lawyers? That's where the music industry is going to end up with?
"You are hereby forbidden in action or by thought of ever producing the c note again on any type of electronicastical music instrument or pay $1.000.000 per minute to the plaintiff"
OK, so they make a false claim, which can be proven. That should come at a cost. A dissuading high cost. Perhaps some kind of group insurance?
MPAMPT (Music Producers Against Music Patent Trolls):
"If you make a false claim against one of us, we'll sue with returning email. Come out come out wherever you are. We're waiting!"
$100 a year for membership? I'm only half-joking.
Make some music!

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:28 pm

To add insult to injury, they are blocking me for the karaoke version of the song... not even the original..... Un-f*cking-believable.....

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:33 pm

Takes a few days to a week. I've had to unblock many of my own songs because the labels get them automatically removed. I also didn't renew my Soundcloud Pro because of the amount of ball ache I was getting.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:38 pm

timothyallan wrote:Takes a few days to a week. I've had to unblock many of my own songs because the labels get them automatically removed. I also didn't renew my Soundcloud Pro because of the amount of ball ache I was getting.
Where can you send the bill? These copyright trolls are stealing from honest music producers. It's been going on for years. They should be exposed at least, again and again and again. Wired wrote a piece about this phenomenon a few years back.
Make some music!

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:12 am

not really copyright trolls in this instance, just soundcloud's shitty sample recognition software wrongly flagging your stuff. happened to me a few times.
http://blog.soundcloud.com/2011/01/05/q ... on-system/

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:41 am

garyboozy wrote:not really copyright trolls in this instance, just soundcloud's shitty sample recognition software wrongly flagging your stuff. happened to me a few times.
http://blog.soundcloud.com/2011/01/05/q ... on-system/
So Soundcloud are doing this to themselves? That's not what I've heard from affected members, nor did that Wired article I mentioned say so. If I recall correctly they named specific companies being behind the scheme.
Make some music!

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:37 pm

Took about two days (probably because of the weekend), but they just let me know that my song has been released. /cheer

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:28 pm

Glad to hear. Care to share your soundcloud page?
Last edited by re:dream on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cpyatak

Post by cpyatak » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:23 pm

This happened to me over this weekend as well. Once I filed my dispute it took them about three hours on Sunday to release it.

I'm really curious about this stuff as well.

Anyone have a link to that Wired article?

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:25 pm

They removed it because it sucks!
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:07 am

cpyatak wrote:

Anyone have a link to that Wired article?
I'll try to dig it up. I think this was in 2012.
Make some music!

jrhillma

Post by jrhillma » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:58 pm

I did a cover of Imagine (by John Lennon) using an mp3 backing track for everything but bass (which I *played*). It's dumb and goofy, but I did it and I think it came out pretty dang good. Now, I uploaded it to my SoundCloud account for shits and giggles and it was immediately flagged as a violation of "Imagine" by Pub Dog. I've never heard of Pub Dog. WhoTF is that? Whatever. "I'll do the right thing," I say to myself. And off I go down the rabbit hole of acquiring a mechanical license so everything is on the up-and-up.

Mechanical license in hand, I dispute the case with SoundCloud. They tell me, "Send us the license and we'll release it." I do! They don't. "Screw this noise," says I. I upload the track again. Immediately flagged as a violation of the same damn track by Pub Dog. Seriously, who is this dude? There are many other covers of John Lennon's Imagine on SoundCloud, what's their beef with me?

I dispute that one, noting the other disputed case (which was DENIED!) as well as the fact that I have, in my hot little hands, er, Inbox, a legally binding, honest-to-G-d Mechanical License that covers my freaking shitty ass, cheesy karaoke backed recording of Imagine by John "He's The Closest Thing to a Saint Pop Music Has" Lennon. Result?

DENIED!

Bandcamp let me post it with no issues. And here I was tempted to upgrade to a Pro Account on SoundCloud. No more.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:48 am

jrhillma wrote:I did a cover of Imagine (by John Lennon) using an mp3 backing track for everything but bass (which I *played*)
Where does the mp3 backing track come from? Is that the original Imagine song recording?

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:09 am

jrhillma wrote:I did a cover of Imagine (by John Lennon) using an mp3 backing track for everything but bass (which I *played*). It's dumb and goofy, but I did it and I think it came out pretty dang good. Now, I uploaded it to my SoundCloud account for shits and giggles and it was immediately flagged as a violation of "Imagine" by Pub Dog. I've never heard of Pub Dog. WhoTF is that? Whatever. "I'll do the right thing," I say to myself. And off I go down the rabbit hole of acquiring a mechanical license so everything is on the up-and-up.

Mechanical license in hand, I dispute the case with SoundCloud. They tell me, "Send us the license and we'll release it." I do! They don't. "Screw this noise," says I. I upload the track again. Immediately flagged as a violation of the same damn track by Pub Dog. Seriously, who is this dude? There are many other covers of John Lennon's Imagine on SoundCloud, what's their beef with me?

I dispute that one, noting the other disputed case (which was DENIED!) as well as the fact that I have, in my hot little hands, er, Inbox, a legally binding, honest-to-G-d Mechanical License that covers my freaking shitty ass, cheesy karaoke backed recording of Imagine by John "He's The Closest Thing to a Saint Pop Music Has" Lennon. Result?

DENIED!

Bandcamp let me post it with no issues. And here I was tempted to upgrade to a Pro Account on SoundCloud. No more.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Link, please 8)