VST instruments Performance

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
teejay

VST instruments Performance

Post by teejay » Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:19 pm

I have long been a SX user for most of my song writing and primarily use only VST's for it.

Recently i have been enjoying Live for live performance and my dj'ing. I love the program and am looking to make this my 'all in one tool' and use it to write songs too...

However i have been noticing very serious performance issues when using midi and vst instruments when compared to other sequencers. This is a real worry for me as it limits the amount of instruments i can have going simultaneously.

Has any1 else noticed these performance issues related to vst plugs?

headquest

Post by headquest » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:00 pm

I noticed similar performance issues when live 4 was first released, but much improved since bugfix version 4.0.3 (and subsequent releases).

In tests I have done subsequently (using FLS, Tracktion and Cubase for comparrison) I found that Live is now better than the others.

Audio buffer size can apparently make a big difference.

I'm looking forward to having the freeze functionality in Live 5, because on my own lappy I'm beginning to struggle with 512mb RAM.
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud