OT: Is ther a way to record a telephone feed?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Martyn

OT: Is ther a way to record a telephone feed?

Post by Martyn » Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:09 pm

Does anybody know if its possible to tap an audio feed from your broadband telephone filter?

I just got shafted by my ISP (tiscali), a telesales trainee phoned me last week and sold me 15 gb extra download along with an off peak telephone deal. He assured me that I couldn't possibly find a better deal and that it would only cost me an extra £3.95 a month. He also told me I could cancell at any time by phoning a number on the Blurb I'd get through the post.

He then went on to credit the money to my girlfriend's direct debit WITHOUT ANY ID ON MY BEHALF OR HERS!

On recieving some account of the deal through the post, it wasn't nearly enough to clarify exactly what was being paid for, We then tried to contact Tiscali to get some clarification. Well over a full half hour of call waiting later, we find out that we'd only be getting an extra 5GB of download and the implication that I must of misheard the sales trainee! Cancelling the deal is not going to be as straightforward as I'd been led to believe either.

I don't know how much I've just spent in phone calls, my girlfriend thinks I'm a 'sales pushover' and I have no proof whatsoever as to what i got sold over the phone. Add to that the fact that he allowed me to alter someone elses direct debit without ID or permission.

I REALLY wish I'd been able to record the conversation, and in future I want to set up a method to make this possible, not just for personal legal backup, but also because I'd like a few telesales samples!

Anyone got any ideas on how I might achieve this?

loophead

Post by loophead » Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:18 pm

:( Bastartds Yes, there are little mikes with a little suction cup that you put on the phone and can connect to (anything) but usually a micro cassette. :(

You could also google 'spyware' type stuff lots of uncheap gear...

Also lie to the phone company. 8O Bastards lied to you !

Tell them you HAVE A TAPE OF THE CONVERSATION and if they dont refund you your money and modify the account within 48 hours you will be happy to have your lawyer / solicitor invite them to have a conversation before a judge / magistrate... THAT will, I guarantee, have them bend over backwards

...which is the position all of these prick companies should be in as part of OUR letting them serve the common good - instead of their own wallets !!
8O let us know how it goes !
Live 607 Mac G5 dual 2.0 Ghz w/ 3.5 gig ram
OS X 10.4.10, Motu 828mk2, c-thru axis, Too many plugins "detective chief superintendent"

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:47 pm

I'm definately going to make a meal of the fact that i was able to modify my girlfriend's direct debit without permission, there might even be a way to prove it via her bank. Not sure about lying though, I'm not very good at it, been caught out every time i tried in the past :lol:

I don't think we'll have paid out enough to warrent getting lawyers involved, but that's not the point, I'm just a little angry.

I'll have a look for one of those mics, i remember reading about one that taps an audio signal direct from the cable and wondered if there was a way to get that signal via software using the broadband filter. Probably just dreaming though.

Cheers for the sympathy Loophead, bastards indeed!

forge

Post by forge » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:01 pm

Martyn wrote:I'm definately going to make a meal of the fact that i was able to modify my girlfriend's direct debit without permission, there might even be a way to prove it via her bank. Not sure about lying though, I'm not very good at it, been caught out every time i tried in the past :lol:

I don't think we'll have paid out enough to warrent getting lawyers involved, but that's not the point, I'm just a little angry.

I'll have a look for one of those mics, i remember reading about one that taps an audio signal direct from the cable and wondered if there was a way to get that signal via software using the broadband filter. Probably just dreaming though.

Cheers for the sympathy Loophead, bastards indeed!

nah, just stand your ground and act important.

I once lived in a tower block in south london in my aunts council flat, some guy from NPower came round to try and get us to change from British Gas to NPower, I said 'sorry this is my aunt's flat, I cant do anything like that'. He asked me to sign just to say he'd been here, and given I was almost certainly stoned and in the middle of tunage and keen to get back I gullibly did so.

It wasn't long after we started to get letters from British gas saying sorry you're leaving and letters from Npower saying welcome that I realised I'd been had. It took a good while of ringing up and arguing to get them to sort it out, but I stood my ground and eventually they did. It was a complete piss take, they wanted money off me and everything, but eventually I got them to fuck off.

Dont be intimidated, if you've been conned by call center staff, chances are THEY recorded it so you can demand they listen to the recordings to varify what was agreed.

loophead

Post by loophead » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:08 pm

forge wrote: nah, just stand your ground and act important.

Dont be intimidated, if you've been conned by call center staff, chances are THEY recorded it so you can demand they listen to the recordings to varify what was agreed.
Exactly. I'm not saying to bring in solicitors. I'm saying stand your ground. Tell them that you are fine with having the magistrate compare tapes ! This is all to make THEM back down. They are the evil shits in this tale.

One is never lying to EVIL one is promoting good !

You will be surprised how quick they back down once they THINK you have them with their pants down !

My two cents.
Live 607 Mac G5 dual 2.0 Ghz w/ 3.5 gig ram
OS X 10.4.10, Motu 828mk2, c-thru axis, Too many plugins "detective chief superintendent"

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:24 pm

Yeah, you're both right. Trouble is they make it so damn hard to actually communicate verbally, it took nearly 3/4 of an hour on paid call waiting just to speak to a poor girl (I know a few phone operators) who really didn't know what i was on about and got intimidated by my general arrogant and angry teleophone manner. Poor thing, she sounded really young.

We've got to go through all that again just to make a point over the phone.

I'm gong to send a stinking email though, and raise those points you mentioned, maybe the call was recorded, i doubt they'd admit it if it was.

Wouldn't it be handy if your telephone had a big memory buffer that was always in record, after a week or so it'd give you a warning that it was about to delete it's recordings and give you the option to 'dump to computer' or not. It'd be fucking great for samples too, there have been some funny and strange phone conversations that I'd love to have kept.

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:35 pm

The ADSL filter doesn't quite work like that.... It removes high frequences
from the audio line so they don't interfere with data.

If you wanted to use software you'd have to run the phoneline from the
filter into a modem and software could pickup from there.

If you're thinking of recording calls check your laws, here in Australia it's
illegal. At the very least you should inform them that u'r taping at the start
of the conversation, not at the end.

-Ben

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:40 pm

MrYellow wrote:The ADSL filter doesn't quite work like that.... It removes high frequences
from the audio line so they don't interfere with data.

If you wanted to use software you'd have to run the phoneline from the
filter into a modem and software could pickup from there.

If you're thinking of recording calls check your laws, here in Australia it's
illegal. At the very least you should inform them that u'r taping at the start
of the conversation, not at the end.

-Ben
So it is possible then, it'd be quite nice to be able to say 'this call is being recorded' at the beginning of a callcentre conversation, and mean it. It might lend a different edge to the proceedings, wouldn't hurt to say it anyway really :wink:

Thanx for the info.

M

jbible

Post by jbible » Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:54 pm

Talen from....
http://www.negativland.com/audiogadgets.html

How To Build A Phone Fidelity Device

Parts required:

1. Audio Isolation Transformer with 1:1 turns ratio, 600 ohm impendance

($3.99, Radio Shack Cat. # 273-1374)
2. 1/4" Phono jack ($1.99 for 2, Radio Shack Cat. # 274-155C)

OR
RCA-style phono plugs ($2.19 for 4, Radio Shack Cat. # 274-384)

3. Modular Dual Jack Extension Cord ($6.99, Radio Shack Cat. # 279-363)

OR
2-outlet Modular Adaptor ($4.79, Radio Shack Cat. # 279-357)
4. Modular-to-spade 12" line cord ($1.99, Radio Shack Cat. # 279-391)

5. OPTIONAL: Telephone wiring box ($6.99, Radio Shack Cat. # 279-343)

OR
Wall mounting box ($1.99, Radio Shack Cat. # 279-341)

How to build the device:

1. Plug the male end of the Dual Jack Extension cord into a wall phone jack. (You can also use a 2-outlet Modular Adaptor.)

2. Plug a standard phone into one jack on the Dual Jack Extension Cord, and plug the Modular-to-Spade Line cord into the other jack.

3. The Modular-to-Spade Line Cord should have four wires: yellow, black, red, and green. Put tape on the ends of the yellow and black wires, as these are not needed. Connect the red wire to the red wire from the Audio Isolation Transformer, and connect the green wire to the yellow wire from the the Audio Isolation Transformer. (No need to solder, just make sure the wires are attached securely, e.g. with alligator clips if you don't know how to solder.)

4. Connect the black and white wires from the Audio Isolation Transformer to the terminals on the 1/4" phono plug (it doesn't matter which wire goes to which terminal.) (You can also use an RCA-style plug, depending on the type of wire coming from the output of the mixer or stereo.) Again, there is no need to solder necessarily.

5. Now plug a mono output line from the mixer or stereo into the phono jack, and you are ready to go! (You can also use a tape deck or CD player as sound input.)

6. OPTIONAL: Since your device might be fragile (particularly if you did not solder the connections) you may wish to place the core of the setup inside of a box of some sort. I use a Telephone Wiring Box. This also has little screws and posts inside which I use to secure connections.

How to operate the device:

When you are calling into the radio, the trick is to use the telephone line ONLY FOR SOUND INPUT, NOT for listening to the radio. Therefore, you should put headphones on which are plugged into the radio to listen to yourself when you are on the air.

1. Unplug the Modular-to-Spade Line Cord from the Dual Jack, so that only the telephone is plugged into the Dual Jack. You should get a dial tone when you pick up the phone.

2. Using the telephone plugged into the Dual Jack, dial the number you want to call.

3. When you hear that the other end's phone is ringing, plug the Modular-to- Spade Line Cord back into the Dual Jack.

4. Once the device is reconnected, try outputting sound from your mixer. You should be able to hear the sound by listening to the telephone which is connected to the other side of the Dual Jack. If you hear sound, you should hang up the phone, put on your headphones, and wait until you are on the air. (When you hang up the phone, the line will NOT be disconnected, as you still have a line running into the other jack which is acting as a phone itself. If you do not hang up the phone, the device will still work, but the signal may not be as strong.) If you do not hear sound through the telephone, your device is probably not connected properly.

5. When you are done, make sure you unplug the Modular-to-Spade Line Cord from the Dual Jack. Otherwise, the line will remain connected, just as if you left the phone off the hook.

TIPS: Once you get on the air, try adjusting the level and EQ on your sound. You want to be loud enough to be heard, but not so loud that you are distorted or drowning out the ambient sound. You should realize that you are going to lose a lot of the sound at lower frequencies. You can boost the bass on your mixer/stereo, but still be aware that low-frequency sounds are not going to come out very clearly. Mid and high frequency sounds (under about 15 kHz) tend to come out best. IF YOU WANT TO GO IN STEREO, you need two phone lines, and two devices as above. Then you need to get both lines on the air at once! I use a computer with automatic-dialing software to make it easier to get through.

Good luck, and have fun!
experimedia.net - label and mailorder - 15% OFF THROUGH FEB 14TH
jeremybible.com | jeremy bible & jason henry