Moderation of this forum

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Stromkraft

Re: Moderation of this forum

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:17 pm

stringtapper wrote:
But I don't think that means that only people with user accounts can join the forum, unless that message just happened today or something and they in fact have implemented that scheme.
I guess not. However, the cost of risking your account with bad behavior could have gone up. At least it's feasible to limit non-license accounts if Ableton decides this is useful. Or perhaps more likely give license accounts further possibilities. I'm not saying anything like that is likely, but it's possible with this.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:18 pm

njh wrote:If ableton were to limit the forums to only registered users that is up to them. The best solution I can see to stop massive spamming now is to not enable users to post duplicate posting. There is never a need to post the same thing more than once.
if someone is lame enough to go through the trouble of spamming by copying and pasting the same post over and over again... what's one more key stroke?

i.e. the post isn't duplicate if you add one more keystroke to the end of it.

i like the license idea. i've said it before. now i've said it again. it seems the easiest to implement and it adds a certain weight and sense of ownership to your participation.

if you only have one license then, at worst, those who are banned and come back are those who bought the most hardware that comes with free copy of Live. it's not perfect, but it's a step in the right direction... unlike the unlimited option that is currently available.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:21 pm

@Stromkraft - the merge the forum account with the Ableton account thing a few years back was just a way to automatically log you in. it doesn't stop you from creating a new independent account.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:30 pm

H20nly wrote:@Stromkraft - the merge the forum account with the Ableton account thing a few years back was just a way to automatically log you in. it doesn't stop you from creating a new independent account.
Yes, I didn't claim it was created just now or that it prevents something right now. Just saw it by accident.

But with accounts tied it is certainly possible for Ableton to decide license-holders may get extra privileges as well as responsibilities.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Make some music!

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:00 pm

:lol:

We're fucked for life

theswiftone

Post by theswiftone » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:44 am

Something needs to be done.... There must be someone we can contact to try and arrange a solution?

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:19 am

Lol I know Chanel, I'll ask her why she did this :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:56 am

Here are a couple of simple rules that would be an obstacle for some spam artists at least:

Registered in the last 2 weeks -> Max 5 posts a day
Registered more than 2 weeks ago, but no previous posts -> Max 5 posts a day for 2 weeks

Implementing that logic shouldn't be too hard nor would well-behaved users suffer too much.

Make some music!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:28 am

Stromkraft wrote:Here are a couple of simple rules that would be an obstacle for some spam artists at least:

Registered more than 2 weeks ago, but no previous posts -> Max 5 posts a day for 2 weeks

Implementing that logic shouldn't be too hard nor would well-behaved users suffer too much.
No, then they just make them and wait.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:55 am

Stromkraft wrote:Slack enforcement of rules is also a rule and one that limits freedom.
Rules = Protection.
Protection =/= Freedom.
It really doesn't get any more straightforward than that.
Philosophy 101

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:40 am

phpBB has a lot of functionality that is currently not being used by the Ableton forum.

This includes

- friend / foe lists (the functionality to allow users to filter who they see)
- ability to report posts
- ability to restrict posting by new users

Spamming of the kind our friend is doing is hard to rule out entirely. You can prevent bots from registering, but a human user who is determined to spam can usually get past the radar. Then it is down to quick and decisive reaction by mods.

Which is what we are not seeing at present.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:03 am

H20nly wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:Here are a couple of simple rules that would be an obstacle for some spam artists at least:

No, then they just make them and wait.
What did you not get from the second rule? I didn't say they would take all. But more than a handful I'm sure. These things are mostly done by bots specialized in PHPBB. Bot patterns can be analyzed. It's a question of wanting to stop this.

Secondly, I use Baysian filtering to prevent spam like lasts night attack as everyone else on the planet does. That's a simple rule based system, based on statistical analysis. Similar systems can implemented in PHPBB if Ableton wants to.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:05 am

re:dream wrote: - ability to restrict posting by new users
Which is what I'm advocating.
Make some music!

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:05 pm

Understood. 8)

Well, at least Chanel Preston got deleted in a couple of hours.

Which means they are upping their game.

Thought: what if the spammer was one of us, just testing to see if the mods were doing their job?

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:07 pm

Tarekith wrote:I don't think that at all, I've had conversations with a few of the Abe's and they were all well clued up on the stuff people complain about the most. Not saying they should keep quiet or anything, but they don't just listen to good feedback at all.
I was at an Ableton event a little while back with a company guy presenting Push. He didn't even know that you can't run two Pushs together (well), because they steal focus from each other.

So, I remain doubtful about that bolded sentence.