Moderation of this forum

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TomViolenz

Re: Moderation of this forum

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:32 am

Stromkraft wrote: I don't care too much about this. No matter what took place in the past
Didn't stop you from inserting yourself into an exchange I had with another poster.... :roll:
Uncomfortable subjects are not like taking the piss provided the subject is treated in an acceptable way. Of course I don't think politics nor religion or other subjects alien to music production fits within Music and Audio Production, so where different discussions are taking place is important to many people I think. Of course, politics or religion is not fit anywhere according to the rules set by Ableton.
That's why we have a Lounge.
And this is exactly about that time when Ableton decided to make this a rule. (you weren't a member yet)
The banning of certain posters calmed down the hostility of this forum, not the ban of the topics that they got hostile about.

Posters like Steko claiming something else, are just trying to rewrite history, because that view aligns with their views.

But the truth is. Moderation would have stopped the hostility back then, quicker banning of the posters in question would have too. While banning of topics just led to the Lounge being a graveyard now, where every discussion that borders on politics somehow (and almost all of them can be seen as such) has everyone expecting a lock of the thread very soon :x

Feels a little like abused spouses tip-toeing around a randomly violent husband....

Anf the fun part is: People are still hostile to each other, we still don't have proper moderation and even spammers still get a warning(!) before they get banned!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:12 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
Stromkraft wrote: I don't care too much about this. No matter what took place in the past
Didn't stop you from inserting yourself into an exchange I had with another poster

Why should it prevent me from adding my perspective in a public discussion? That's what happens online. If you want private discussions use PM.

What I'm not interested in is the distant past. What was a problem then is not a problem now, despite similarities. It's what is happening now that is a problem now. I'm interested in solving the present problems. I'm not saying there can't be valuable perspectives from the distant past, from you or others, but that's your thing should you want it addressed.
TomViolenz wrote:Moderation would have stopped the hostility back then, quicker banning of the posters in question would have too. …
the fun part is: People are still hostile to each other, we still don't have proper moderation and even spammers still get a warning(!) before they get banned!
OK. I think the latter is not true for the obvious cases, like the recent ones. I agree people's manners sometimes leave a lot to be desired. These forums need proper moderation and above all a better climate between members. That can only come from each and everyone of us behaving better, not tolerating bad behavior nor taking part in that ourselves.
Make some music!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:18 pm

does that include posting pretentious replies in years old threads as if the quoted necro-comments were made regarding current software and hardware revisions?

because if it does, you're failing miserably.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:40 pm

H20nly wrote:does that include posting pretentious replies in years old threads as if the quoted necro-comments were made regarding current software and hardware revisions?

because if it does, you're failing miserably.
So now you want to include "making replies" into what we should regard as bad behavior?
Please write an email now and report me to contacts@ableton.com! Now!

Good luck with that.
Make some music!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:44 pm

let me spell it out for you....

no.

but if you're going to reply to a 3 year old thread where people are talking about features missing in Live 7 or Live 8 with rude remarks about how ignorant those people are for not being able to find what you have in Live 9, it does make you look like a fucking asshole.
just saying.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:01 pm

H20nly wrote:let me spell it out for you....

no.

but if you're going to reply to a 3 year old thread where people are talking about features missing in Live 7 or Live 8 with rude remarks about how ignorant those people are for not being able to find what you have in Live 9, it does make you look like a fucking asshole.
just saying.
I'd have to agree it is inappropriate to fail to note the shift of dates moving backwards from the new post that typically made me read an old thread (I don't read old threads just like that). I've made a few mistakes, especially when responding before having my first cup of coffee in the morning. That's a bad move right there. I'll just have to live with that, however.
Make some music!

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:02 pm

re:dream wrote:Well, it looks as if the mods are responding more quickly. There were two spam attacks by our mutual friend; one on Friday night; posts deleted by mid Saturday morning; one late on Saturday night; posts deleted by Sunday morning.

User account still there as far as I can see (memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=271319).

But those are satisfactory response times - thanks, um, guys/girls!
Agreed

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:04 pm

Talking about solutions for "resurrected threads" syndrome, typically other sites might lock threads after a certain time, like 3 years or so, and keep them around for reference. That also marks them as possibly outdated for people searching for solutions.
Make some music!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:06 pm

true.

but sometimes people chime in at the end of threads with a solution (finally) or it's bumped for the fact that the issue still has not been resolved.

so, i can see your point, but there are decent arguments for not locking them too.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:16 pm

H20nly wrote:true.

but sometimes people chime in at the end of threads with a solution (finally) or it's bumped for the fact that the issue still has not been resolved.

so, i can see your point, but there are decent arguments for not locking them too.
Yes, I suppose there is a reason like that Ableton haven't implemented this. Maybe when we have full PDC and polyphonic aftertouch they can.
Make some music!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:59 am

:lol:

for sure! and for those reasons, i hope they lock all these motherfuckers down ASAP!!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:38 am

For whatever it's worth, I'd love to see a users only forum for people who have a license. And then maybe a general purpose Q&A forum for possible new owner questions.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:42 am

But what about the people with cracked versions? Where will they get help?

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:07 am

re:dream wrote:But what about the people with cracked versions? Where will they get help?
Depends on what it is.....if it's omnisphere in bitwig I guess it's just fine :roll:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:04 am

Tarekith wrote:For whatever it's worth, I'd love to see a users only forum for people who have a license. And then maybe a general purpose Q&A forum for possible new owner questions.
I agree, and a real Lounge forum, with the same no rules policy this forum started off with. Different rules for different forum sections. IE respectful and to the point in the General and New User Areas, and off topic madness in the Lounge.