NAMM 2015. Anything exciting?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TomViolenz

Re: NAMM 2015. Anything exciting?

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:21 pm

Coupe70 wrote:
Angstrom wrote:I think Thavius is wrong when he says "people want one device which controls everything". I prefer a mixer, a trigger matrix, a drum pad, etc. all separate. It's much better than even the slickest paging interface.IMO.
I agree, because all I wanted was a "normal" launchpad, maybe with extra buttons on the side/bottom
with RGB LEDs for a good price.
Now we have an expensive version (mostly because of velocity sensitivity and hardware MIDI i guess)
packed with features I don't need/want... :(
Why not use the Launchpad S or Mini then?!

But I do agree that pricewise this should be the Launchpad S. 299,- is just too steep for having neither encoders/faders or a screen.

Coupe70

Post by Coupe70 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:14 pm

TomViolenz wrote: Why not use the Launchpad S or Mini then?!
Errr, because it has NO RGB LEDs.
I was hoping for RGB LEDs when they released the Launchpad S, but they
only made the LEDs brighter...

So now they have the (colour-)limited Launchpad S & Mini and the feature
overloaded Launchpad Pro. I don't say the Launchpad Pro is a mistake, but
they should close the gap or replace the S & Mini with full RGB versions.
Phongemeinschaft (Live-ElectroJazz / NuJazz)
Homepage - youtube - Like! :-)
Live 9 (32Bit), HP DV7, i5 2,53GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win7 (64Bit)

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:24 pm

Coupe70 wrote:
TomViolenz wrote: Why not use the Launchpad S or Mini then?!
Errr, because it has NO RGB LEDs.
I was hoping for RGB LEDs when they released the Launchpad S, but they
only made the LEDs brighter...

So now they have the (colour-)limited Launchpad S & Mini and the feature
overloaded Launchpad Pro. I don't say the Launchpad Pro is a mistake, but
they should close the gap or replace the S & Mini with full RGB versions.

I'm with you. I think the Pro should be the S and the Mini, well a real Mini. Which means a lot smaller (so that your fingers can barely hit the buttons) and only 50,- a piece, so that buying many of these to build perfect step sequencer grids becomes affoardable. (think 8x16, 16x16, 8x32, 16x32)
Last edited by TomViolenz on Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:25 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Also MainStage gets Autosampler functionality. Definitely a no brainer purchase at this point.
Are you able to use the autosampler function for software instruments as well? On they Apple website it just says "turn your hardware instruments into instruments you can play on your mac"

If so then yes the $30 purchase would be worth it 8)
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:36 pm

Airyck wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:
Also MainStage gets Autosampler functionality. Definitely a no brainer purchase at this point.
Are you able to use the autosampler function for software instruments as well? On they Apple website it just says "turn your hardware instruments into instruments you can play on your mac"

Haven't bought it yet, but considering that Autosampler when the guy put it out as Redmatica did hardware and software, I would say yeah.

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:39 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Airyck wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:

Haven't bought it yet, but considering that Autosampler when the guy put it out as Redmatica did hardware and software, I would say yeah.
You're right, and I'm sure a workaround could easily be procured.
Actually I see it has Rewire capabilities, so that should do it right there.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:31 pm

For me, the main problem with the Mini and the APC Key 25 is that they don't have Session Overview, which makes them almost unusable for anyone who organizes their sets in, uh, SESSONS, which is what the matrix is for in the first place. It is a glaring software design error/decision that is just stupid.

The idiots at Akai/Ableton who made this decision (and are letting it stay in this configuration) should be FIRED.

And it would be so easy to fix (I would do it myself, except I'm 74 and don't want to spend the little time I have left.. But I purchased the units before they changed the documentation to reflect the lack of functionality - the original documentation on the site said that they had Session Overview)...

I have written many times to both Akai and Ableton, but I'm pretty sure the emails are going down black holes in cyberspace.... but Akai at least acknowledges there is an issue...

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:06 pm

Buleriachk wrote:For me, the main problem with the Mini and the APC Key 25 is that they don't have Session Overview, which makes them almost unusable for anyone who organizes their sets in, uh, SESSONS, which is what the matrix is for in the first place. It is a glaring software design error/decision that is just stupid.

The idiots at Akai/Ableton who made this decision (and are letting it stay in this configuration) should be FIRED.

And it would be so easy to fix (I would do it myself, except I'm 74 and don't want to spend the little time I have left.. But I purchased the units before they changed the documentation to reflect the lack of functionality - the original documentation on the site said that they had Session Overview)...

I have written many times to both Akai and Ableton, but I'm pretty sure the emails are going down black holes in cyberspace.... but Akai at least acknowledges there is an issue...
I haven't got a MINI but which button would you want Session Overview to be triggered by out of interest?

Cheers
D

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:21 pm

S4racen wrote: I haven't got a MINI but which button would you want Session Overview to be triggered by out of interest?
Cheers
D

Well, for starters, they could lose the functionality of one track/scene at a time (what would anyone use this for except to watch the pretty box move on the computer screen) and replace it with Session Overview like the Launchpad.

Failing that, they could implement cycling through options with the shift key. I can think of a LOT of other ways to implement it, if they would just ask me.

(e.g., they could implement a user options text file to be including in the Midi Remote folder to give users a choice of the option. But who in hell that uses the devices would want to move the box a single track/scene at a time, other than raw beginners...?)
Last edited by Buleriachk on Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:43 pm

The new version of Omnisphere looks pretty interesting to me. I just wonder how huge it's going to be to install?

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:46 pm

Tarekith wrote:The new version of Omnisphere looks pretty interesting to me. I just wonder how huge it's going to be to install?

This time you’ll be able to download it when you purchase it.

Of course you can also download Komplete Ultimate now, so I guess that doesn’t mean shit about file size anymore.

But I'm also wondering (hoping) if it will share some data with Omni 1.

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:35 pm

Tarekith wrote:The new version of Omnisphere looks pretty interesting to me. I just wonder how huge it's going to be to install?
It does look interesting but I only see cave stalactite samples, I was hoping for stalagmite ones as well... guess I'll have to wait until V3.0 to buy.

User waveforms basically just made the whole thing explode into infinity.

JohnLoftus

Post by JohnLoftus » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:40 pm

yur2die4 wrote:That launchpad pro has a lotttt of interesting qualities. I don't even know what it all has yet.

I see midi in / out. I wonder how it handles without a computer, to a hardware synth or drum machine?

It is what everyone has been asking for, especially the colors and the velocity/pressure sensitivity.

It appears that the trade offs might be that it requires more power and is 'bulkier'. But wow does the LP Pro look impressive.
Hi There,
I'm glad that you are liking the look of the launchpad Pro!
It will indeed have MIDI in and OUT for controlling external hardware,
the pads are velocity and pressure sensitive and in terms of power consumption it can be USB powered or mains powered for stand alone MIDI use.

John Loftus // Focusrite | Novation tech Support

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:45 pm

Airyck wrote:It does look interesting but I only see cave stalactite samples, I was hoping for stalagmite ones as well... guess I'll have to wait until V3.0 to buy.
:lol: I’m sure they smoked copious amounts of weed before they decided what to sample and how.

JohnLoftus

Post by JohnLoftus » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:58 pm

yur2die4 wrote:I really just want to see what the LP Pro can do standalone, no pc, midi to hardware.

From one video, it did appear a man was playing the typical grid/notes layout. I don't know if that was live-specific or if they've managed to implement something into the launchpad itself (which is really what they ought to do to be honest.) step sequencers are weird as hell and I could understand them not having step sequencing built inside it.

Not to mention, that's what the BeatStep Pro is for haha

Maybe someone should start a thread dedicated to the launchpad pro. It seems to be getting a lot of attention.

Hi there,
That's right Launchpad Pro can be used in Standalone mode for taking control of external hardware through MIDI.
The Launchpad Pro has both USB and Mains power input options.

More info can be found here:
http://uk.novationmusic.com/midi-contro ... nchpad-pro#

John Loftus // Focusrite | Novation Tech Support