Unique settings for each sample in the same Sampler?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Modler

Unique settings for each sample in the same Sampler?

Post by Modler » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:08 am

Hello fellow music enthusiasts, please forgive my newbie-ness but I'm fresh out of training online to use Ableton. Here's my question:

Is there any way to have unique settings for each of multiple samples in Sampler? So I want to use one rack with one sampler that has multiple sound samples loaded into it, but for each sound I need the freedom to tweak it any which way; for example a higher pitch slope on one sound, lower pitch on the other, more distortion on one, less on the other, etc., etc.

After studying in depth tutorials for Sampler, much to my dismay it seems that for some reason if you change one knob in Sampler it effects every single sound that you have loaded into it the same way. This leaves me scratching my head wondering what what the (insert swear word here) is the use of being able to load multiple samples into Sampler if they all must follow the same settings? If anybody can explain a workaround with the same mentioned above setup, or any alternative setup / workaround / schematic / alternative VST, etc., that would be quite helpful! Thanks so much... PS not to mention the lack of time-stretching but that's a whole other subject.

re:dream

Re: Unique settings for each sample in the same Sampler?

Post by re:dream » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:45 am

Better to rack a bunch of samplers then, put different settings on each, and use the rack chooser to choose between them.

Modler

Post by Modler » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:01 am

Hello re:dream. Thanks but since I'm so new on Ableton I don't know how to use the "rack chooser", could you post a link to where I can learn how to do that? Also if I have many Samplers, say several hundred instances of it, won't it generally overload my CPU to smitherines?

Post by re:dream » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:07 am

Post by re:dream » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:09 am

Why do you need this functionality? Is there some specific aspect of your workflow that requires it?

Modler

Post by Modler » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:20 am

Hello, why yes. The reason reason I wanted to adjust settings differently for each sample is to customize the sound of each sample. I was thinking to use Sampler as the main drum machine, load many dozens of one-shot beats that I've custom created in WAV format, then use them for the rhythm of a song. But the thing is that I would need to modify things like pitch, ADSR, etc. for each sound to make them jive together better because certainly they are not all the right length, pitch, etc. as is - but if I tweak the setting on one sample then it seems all the rest will be hopelessly stuck with that identical setting as well.

So maybe there is another workflow or VST you would recommend instead? (also yes I'm considering N.I. Battery as a drum machine but am unsure it has all the cool tricks as does Sampler)

Post by re:dream » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:29 am

Well, in a drum rack, you are pretty much using one sample per cell. I mean you could switch samples in the cell while playing, but why do that?

So: make your 128s out of similar sounds (all your kicks together, all snares together etc)

Put a different 128 in each cell

Tweak sounds in each cell so that they sit nicely together.

That should achieve the same result by much simpler means.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:42 am

Yes, do what re:dream lists off.

To get the initial idea of a Drum Rack, simply drag a sound into a drum rack slot. It'll instantly be playable. Double click the slot to be able to reveal what is inside (or maybe you have to unfold the rack). You'll see that it is probably a Simpler.

In the manual it explains how to make a Sampler the default for when you drag things into Drum Rack.

Then when it comes to control, it depends on if you prefer mouse or a controller.

After you understand the basic concepts of the Drum Rack, you can also try creating '128's. A 128 is basically using the multiple samples in one instance of Sampler like you are testing out, but having it all inside one slot. So maybe all your favorite bass drum sounds would be on one drum rack slot, and you can just turn a dial to choose which one you want to use on the song. You can have a 128 of 128 different snares, one of claps, etc. And nothing is stopping you from putting the same 128 in two spots. So if you have 128 claps in a Sampler, you can drag that into a drum rack slot, drag another next to it. Then you can choose two different claps out of the 128 if you need to.

Modler

Post by Modler » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:49 am

Hello re:dream and yur2die4, your posts have been immensly helpful. These are probably things gone over B4 in my training but now it makes sense to me. I have a bit of a learning disability so thanks for your patience. Maybe I'll message you l8tr if I still need some input.